meals for ONE/leftovers

Options
samrockrocks
samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
Hey everyone! I am a fairly picky eater, but I've began cooking on my own and trying new things. Here's my problem: I usually HATE leftovers and most recipes aren't designed for one person! I LOVE the Hungry Girl website and books because most of her recipes are for one, but other than that I have been stuck with huge servings. I know it's crazy that I don't like leftovers, but suggestions??

I just found this super yummy looking soup recipe on eatbetteramerica.com but it's for 8. How do you even save and then reheat soup??

Any advice about reheating leftovers or modifying recipes for just me would be really appreciated!!

Replies

• ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    You're not alone in hating leftovers. Even if it's amazing and delicious I don't tend to want to eat it again! Yet somehow I've found I eat the same thing for breakfast nearly every day! Go figure!

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: What's your favorite HG recipe? I love her cookbooks. :smile:
  • jrd2011
    Options
    When you have left over soup you can put them in individual containers and freeze them. Them when you want some more soup you can thaw and reheat!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I can be quite lazy, it's a problem. but i usually cook a bunch of lean ground beef or chicken, drain it, and have it in different containers, with different sauces. Then I have a serving of rice and another serving or two of noodles in individual servings containers. It's good a few days, so a scoop of meat, a scoop of grain (brown rice or whole wheat noodles). You just need the different sauces, you know, the seasoning pouches like garlic chipotle fajita sauce, marinara and crushed tomatoes, curry. whatever. It's affordable and easy, but not low sodium.
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    You're not alone in hating leftovers. Even if it's amazing and delicious I don't tend to want to eat it again! Yet somehow I've found I eat the same thing for breakfast nearly every day! Go figure!

Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: What's your favorite HG recipe? I love her cookbooks. :smile:

favorite HG recipe?? IMPOSSIBLE! Right now I'm hooked on the Yum-Yum Brownies. Starting next week though (back to school) I'm going to start baking up breakfast cookies, scones, and berry muffins to have on hand for breakfast on my way to classes!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can make soup and freeze it, but I wouldn't freeze/save it with pasta in it already (if the recipe has pasa). You can reheat it on the stove and add the pasta then so it doesn't get all mushy.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Jars for canning work really well for freezing soup, and it's nice to have extra meals on hand in a pinch!
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    if i freeze food then how long is it good for and how do i reheat it? i know it would depend on the food