Any other diabetics?

Options
Hi, I'm Sam, 21, with a recent diagnosis of diabetes. I'd like to be friends with other diabetics on here to feel less alone and help me stay on track. I've been losing weight this entire year because of how bad my blood sugar was. I started January at 245. I was 220 when I got my diagnosis in early June. I'm down to 214, exercising everyday, and counting carbs.

Replies

• jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed with diabetes when i was obese ... around age 25 .... probably was before then but i never really got it checked out until one day i got a bit ill and when the doc checked my sugar levels, was at 22 .... used to live a very hedonistic and unhealthy lifestyle ... did the fasting glucose test after seeing the doc and they even told me at the clinic that there is no point taking a secon d reading as I am diabetic. Im type 2 and on a light medication dose of glucophage xr 500 ... ok so I pretty much continued with not changing my lifestyle after diagnosis (just took the medication) but 3 years ago something changed in me which is when i started my journey anda fast forward to today, there are days my sugar dips to under 3 after a hard workout .... If anything my glucose is too low at times.

Stay at it with the food excercise and medication and you will be just fine!!
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm Shari and I was diagnosed in December 2012.

I went to see the doctor to get clearance for a new exercise program and that's when it was picked up.

I want OFF my Glucophage NOW. I see a nutritionist who has been helping me with the diet.

I walk for my exercise and in the warm weather I swim. My nutritionist has a dietitian in her group who is also a personal trainer. She gave me a different way to do my walks. She told me to do interval training. So I go between race walking and my normal pace for the length of the walk.

I joined a few challenges here to get the workouts in. I can never meet the challenge on 2 of the 3 challenges I join, but it keeps me on track to get my workouts done.

Shari
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam, Congratulations on the progress you've made so far. Very commendable!

If interested, there is a Type 2 Diabetes Support Group within MFP here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

A community eager to offer their knowledge, warm friendship and experiences.
  • kpdrsn
    kpdrsn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 last Fall at age 62. I was pre-diabetic for about 10 years and thought I would never cross the line. I've been able to manage my diabetes fairly well with diet and weight loss. Strangely, I got a 10% drop in my sugar levels when I added cinnamon and chromium to my diet. I take a cinnamon capsule in the morning and evening. I've also noticed that anxiety and stress are my enemy.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last month. I'm on 1000 mg of metformin (two 500 mg pills) and am hoping to someday get off the pills. Feel free to add me!

I have lost about nine pounds so far and hope to lose a lot more. I have a Fitbit which helps me challenge myself and I'm a lot more active than I was a month ago.

We can do it!
  • Betherz82
    Betherz82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2010. I developed diabetes from a combination of being extremely overweight for most of my life and from being injured and on steroid therapy for months. It haven't really taken it seriously until earlier this year when I had to increase my medication because my sugar spiked out of control for months.

I
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this past November and have been trying to get myself down into a healthy BMI. I actually have a reason to celebrate -I went in for insulin pump start yesterday, and my BMI was down to the healthy range. It seems like every 5 pounds I lose, my insulin sensitivity increases and my insulin needs decrease.

So far, my goals are getting myself down to the 130-140 range, refining my basal and bolus insulin dosages, eating smaller and more frequent meals (especially until my basal rate is under control), and then beginning weight training.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's inspiring to hear from people who are managing diabetes and improving your health. abatonfan congratulations on improving insulin sensitivity and losing weight!~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Jenniesalvidrez
    Jenniesalvidrez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not diabetic bt I join a group of diabetics on ideal protein diet & I loved it. I lost 36 ponds before I had my baby bt I'm on the journey once again. I would like to learn more about counting carbs cause all the drinks where already to go & if I can help you it will b great
  • colleenegreene
    colleenegreene Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was surprisingly diagnosed with a near fatal level Type 2 on 10 April 2014 (A1C 15). Also with a cholesterol panel over 400. And I weight 106 pounds. My doctor says I am the healthiest looking unhealthy person she has ever seen, and I have the highest A1C she has ever treated in 30 years of practicing medicine. So, the diagnosis has changed my life. Doc and I are trying to drastically lower my numbers without insulin (last resort). She put me on an extreme diet of no sugar, very very little carbs (no rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, only 1 1/2 fruits a day, no booze), and lean proteins. And exercise, despite feeling incredibly lethargic for months prior to my diagnosis.

But, I'm slowly getting healthier! My 30 day lab work showed my A1C dropped to 13. My 60 day lab work showed it dropped to 12.6. And Doc said I've made quantum leaps with my cholesterol panel. My energy had gone WAY up after getting put on metformin and lipitor -- higher than it has been in a couple of years. But, it's dropped a bit since a) getting put on an ACE inhibitor for my kidneys, and/or b) getting my lipitor dosage doubled a few weeks ago. Still better than I was at and before diagnosis.

Oh, and my doctor wants me to gain weight on this extremely lean diet!???? I only weight 106 pounds, but it's still within (at the very bottom of) my recommended weight range and BMI. I'm trying to gain weight through healthy no-sugar fats like avocadoes and peanut butter.
  • colleenegreene
    Options
    Excellent progress!
  • colleenegreene
    Options
    @abatonfan Excellent progress.
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Type 1 for the last 26 years , taking one day at a time :o)
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was originally diagnosed in 2004, but I had really bad reactions to Metformin and Lipitor and went off all meds... Fast forward to 2012, I had emergency surgery and my glucose was over 500. When they put me on insulin, I got real serious and started counting my carbs and walking to lose weight. Walking turned into running, swimming, Spartan Races and triathlon. But best of all, I no longer need insulin.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    T2D here, diagnosed just last year.

bloodsugar101.com has lots of good information & there are a couple of groups on here too :drinker:
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was surprisingly diagnosed with a near fatal level Type 2 on 10 April 2014 (A1C 15). Also with a cholesterol panel over 400. And I weight 106 pounds. My doctor says I am the healthiest looking unhealthy person she has ever seen, and I have the highest A1C she has ever treated in 30 years of practicing medicine. So, the diagnosis has changed my life. Doc and I are trying to drastically lower my numbers without insulin (last resort). She put me on an extreme diet of no sugar, very very little carbs (no rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, only 1 1/2 fruits a day, no booze), and lean proteins. And exercise, despite feeling incredibly lethargic for months prior to my diagnosis.

But, I'm slowly getting healthier! My 30 day lab work showed my A1C dropped to 13. My 60 day lab work showed it dropped to 12.6. And Doc said I've made quantum leaps with my cholesterol panel. My energy had gone WAY up after getting put on metformin and lipitor -- higher than it has been in a couple of years. But, it's dropped a bit since a) getting put on an ACE inhibitor for my kidneys, and/or b) getting my lipitor dosage doubled a few weeks ago. Still better than I was at and before diagnosis.

Oh, and my doctor wants me to gain weight on this extremely lean diet!???? I only weight 106 pounds, but it's still within (at the very bottom of) my recommended weight range and BMI. I'm trying to gain weight through healthy no-sugar fats like avocadoes and peanut butter.

Forgive me in advance, but is your doctor sure you're not an adult onset type 1? On a strict low carb diet and Metformin with your A1C at 12.6 (that is about an average BG of 315), that is still really high! I feel like a jerk even questioning you about that, but that's insane to me. Good luck to you and I hope you reach your goals!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2002, I've set a goal to lose weight in 2013, and in 10 months, I've lost 47 lbs and no more diabetes. Diabetes is not a disease state per se, it's just your body's way to tell react to the extra poundage. I am Diabetes clear for 8 mths now. Good luck. PM me if you need ideas
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 in 2004 (aged 24), it was a bit of a shock but I'm managing it well - I'm in charge not the diabetes :wink:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed in April of this year. My A1C was 11.4 and I thought that was high. But 15! Wow!

It sucks but I knew I was heading down the diabetes path - not eating right, no exercise, family history.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed T2 about 2 months ago after being Pre-diabetic for a couple of years. Why I thought it wouldn't catch up with me...idk??? Anyway, I am working hard to avoid medication since I already take a ton of pills for other stuff. I am counting my carbs and exercising more regularly. It has already shown a big difference!!!

Feel free to friend me...