anyone else trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism...

Options
2»

Replies

• alyssamaryw
    Options
    Are you avoiding goitrogens? I just started, in the hopes that it will help.

I've read that soy is terrible for the thyroid.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose an ounce and actually gained without over-eating before they fixed me. Once the dumb thyroid was gone and I got the pills, the weight started coming off. I don't lose as fast as some, but who cares? I'm losing!

Make sure you tell your endo your problems and don't skip appointments.

Don't eat for 30-60 minutes after you take your pill and no calcium, iron or other things for three hours. (I can't remember what all to avoid those first three hours, so I just eat fruit, lol.)
  • chrise2
    chrise2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am hypo to and on 137 of synthroid. What works for me is being consistent in my workouts and keeing carbs especially sugar at a minimum. If your levels are under control any regimen should work for you especially if you are consistent.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my body is changing, and my muscles are toning up

Great progress so far! From what I heard from friend of mine that are hypothyroid, it's eating regularly, managing stress and sleep, taking meds, and working out (combo of cardio and weights). Then the weight comes off slowly.
  • TJB1012
    TJB1012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have weighed in the 190s for about a year, I went from 145 2 years ago to almost 200 lbs now. I have hypothyroidism and ive been trying for a long long time to get my weight under control. I started tracking my calories for about a week now, and ive been working out some for two weeks. so I hope this helps me. I guess just stay positive, and keep pushing forward!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • loridah
    loridah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't use my hypothyroidism as a "crutch". I have increased my walks to 2.5 miles a day, and when I first started I was only walking 1 mile a day. I also suffer from restrictive lung disease, which causes my lungs to function at 60%, POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), and dysautomnia, when I stand up my blood pressure drops over 40mm/hg which causes me to pass out quite a bit. I am pushing my body as far as I safely can, and it is up to me and that is why I am out there everyday in the Texas heat, doing what I can >end rant

on a side note, is anyone taking armor thyroid? I spoke to my PA yesterday and she is referring me back to endocrinology to talk about switching. I also had labs done and should have the results in a few days.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Is anyone taking armor thyroid? I spoke to my PA yesterday and she is referring me back to endocrinology to talk about switching. I also had labs done and should have the results in a few days.
    There's plenty of information about Armour (desiccated pig or pig + cow thyroid glands) in the two thyroid groups I linked to above.