Low calorie bread options in Canada

Options
Hello my fellow MFPers!

I am aiming this question to my other Canadians. I was wondering what are some of the lower calorie bread options you are able to find? So far I haven't found anything less than 110 cals a slice! Ty for any info or tips you might have :)

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Deli World Light Rye bread, not sure if its available where you're at. 55 Calories for 1 slice.

2009_0406-500x375.jpg

Eta: Forgot to mention the Dempster's Zero is also 55 calories/slice.
  • JadeStarr2013
    Options
    Oooh I think I have seen this before as well! I will check this out, ty
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Dempster's 12 grains for about 100 calories a slice. More fiber than white bread so it should make you feel fuller for longer. A few different ryes seem to go for around 70 calories so that may be your best bet if your primary aim is lower calories.
  • JadeStarr2013
    Options
    YUM! Well I went out and did a bit more searching. Thank you Twinkles, I bought some of the light rye, although it was 65 cals per slice, still much better than what I had. Then I also found another kind to try as well called Little Big Bread, it is wheat but skinnier slices, but excited to try it http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/products/sprouted-bread/little-big-bread.

Had the best sandwich this afternoon! I had made a turkey last night, so I had roasted turkey, lettuce, tomato, 3 bacon slices and light miracle whip on the light rye for 388 cals! Whoop!!
  • sharitapita
    sharitapita Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have gotten Weight Watchers bread here in Ontario. It is about 50 calories a slice I think.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Silver Hills Little Big Bread. It's really good.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Look at ste-methode bread. I always buy the 100% Whole grain one with sprouted germ.
    It's 60 calories a slice and the nutrition in it is great! I like having low calories and nutrion , it's not just another low calorie bread without fiber or much nutritiin
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    http://www.multimarques.com/bonmatin/en/products/grain_breadbagel/prod60_ble.html

This is my go-to. 65 cals per slice, excellent toasted, no cereals to crunch on (Iunno, it bothers me? lol). Actually smells really good when heated up, too. The slices are kinda small, to be fair, but it holds a sizeable amount of meat and veggies nonetheless.

Also if you like flat breads and are lucky, the flatout ones are pretty decent. And you can also grab 100 cals whole wheat pita breads pretty much anywhere now.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat D'Italiano whole wheat bread. It's 160 cals for 2 slices. I use to eat Villagio white for 180 cals per 2 slices. I'm sure there are breads with less calories, but I think you will easily find those two in your regular big box grocery stores. But you can also think of what type of cals you're getting from the bread. I use to eat Dempsters and although it had a lot of calories the nutrition I got out of it was worth it. Just read the labels to help sort out what you need.
  • JadeStarr2013
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions :)
  • tudazies
    tudazies Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am in Southern Ontario and I buy dempsters new bread 100% whole wheat thins slice 45 cal a slice it is not the same size as normal bread maybe a bit bigger then the weight watchers. Comes in different kinds but some of them are 50 cals a slice.