How to Get Better At the Elliptical?

Options
I'm a lacrosse player so I always run for long periods of time in a game and I also must be able to change my speed throughout the game (typically 60 minutes long). During my off season, I try to keep up with my cardio so that when season comes, I won't be dying during conditioning. We have a brand new elliptical at my house so I got on it a few times, but for some reason I just cannot seem to get the hang of it. I do workouts I found online but I always feel that my SPM are low than what they say they should be. Any tips on how to get used to it? I plan to use the elliptical as my main cardio until it starts cooling outside again or when I can get a gym membership again

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    idk, IMO the eliptical would be poor prep for any sport, but if its difficult for you then maybe it is going to keep your hear in good shape.

i have seen some women say that they find the eliptical harder then the treadmil. And these being women in fairly good cardiovascular shape. i think whats really going on is that they are experiencing leg muslce fatigue much greater then they do when running.

if thats true then turning down the resistance could help you a lot. It also may mean that if cardio fitness is the main goal then other exercises might be better.

other then that i don't think there is a trick to it. just like anything else. do it more and it will get eaiser, tho perhaps not more enjoyable :)
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    idk, IMO the eliptical would be poor prep for any sport, but if its difficult for you then maybe it is going to keep your hear in good shape.

i have seen some women say that they find the eliptical harder then the treadmil. And these being women in fairly good cardiovascular shape. i think whats really going on is that they are experiencing leg muslce fatigue much greater then they do when running.

if thats true then turning down the resistance could help you a lot. It also may mean that if cardio fitness is the main goal then other exercises might be better.

other then that i don't think there is a trick to it. just like anything else. do it more and it will get eaiser, tho perhaps not more enjoyable :)

Really? Treadmill easier than the elliptical. Not in my book. Elliptical is way easier!
    It does get easier the more you do it. I was talking about this last night with my daughter. When we first started going to the gym 2 months ago we could barely do 20 minutes but two nights ago we did 50 minutes easy.
  • shortyblueyes
    Options
    I don't have any advice, I am a beginning user on the elliptical. I am not uncomfortable using it, but wish I could stick to it longer. Perhaps as I improve my strength, my stamina will improve.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Well, the simple answer is jus to keep at it. =)

Have you tried the interval training settings? It varies the resistance and difficulty throughout the workout. This would be a good tool to use to keep yourself challenged as you improve.

Also keep in mind that you can get a good workout in on the elliptical machine, but it's not the same as running. I think you'll find that your conditioning will still be rough at first if you haven't hit the pavement in a while.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I have medical conditions (nerve damage) affecting balance that leaves the elliptical as my only safe piece of cardio equipment. The main challenge is boredom management. Watching TV on a smart phone or tablet helps with that.