What can i use to replace Sugar

Options
Hi every one
im new at this and need to sort out my weight im getting bigger and bigger and need to get it sorted please help me

Question:
Im finding it hard to keep the sugar down in my diet and new this would be a problem Can i have some ideas on things i can have in my coffee that is not sugar but will keep it sweet?

thanks so much

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Stevia!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd use a small amount of sugar over any of the fake sweeteners they have out today, some can make you crave sweets even more.

A tiny bit of honey is a nice touch, just watch how much you use as the cals do add up.:flowerforyou:
    If you prefer table sugar perhaps you can simply cut back a bit each day until you are using less and less.

Edited: ah yes and as chocolate65 shared Stevia is also a good option!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I use Splenda! It's a zero cal sweetener. But if you are looking for a sweeter treat in your coffee, there are sugar free syrups and that you can add into your coffee. I personally like the sugar free hazelnut syrup, but there are a bunch of other flavors. If you go to Starbucks they have "skinny" lattes that are made with fat free milk and sugar free syrups. NOM NOM NOM! :D
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Stevia!

Yeah that too! Kinda like Splenda, and a lot of people prefer it!

Oops... just realized I was thinking of Truvia. Ignore the above...
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. my mother who is diabetic uses it too, she is the one who first told me about it years ago because I am sensitive to artificial sweetners. It is now available in single serving packages like other sweeteners. If you dont get the pre packaged one, just be VERY careful how much of it you put in your coffee. A little pinch of it is all you need or it will be perceived as bitter on the tongue.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yes, truvia is the name of the little packages of stevia... They are usually the green or white and green packets.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like sun crystals.....It is half sugar and half stevia.....Quite tasty and with everything being bad for us now a days or if not today tomorrow....This is a smaller amt of each.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Most sweetners id recommend, I use them with tea and coffe just one is enough and 2 is very sweet
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I tried sweetner and just couldnt get round the taste (I was using the correct amount) so what I did was over a period of 4 weeks I slowly reduced the amount I was having I used to be 2 x teaspoons and I reduced it by 1/2 teaspoon increments I now dont have any. The other way to look at it is just to let yourself have a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee but limit yourself to 2 coffees a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon if you need a drink drink water or drink fruit teas. Swap instant to real coffee and you will reduce the coffees you have in your day. If it is real coffeee I sometimes have cinnamon with mine just a bit sprinkled on top and that is pretty nice.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    Stevia is the most natural. Splenda was created while trying to create a pesticide - makes me a little nervous.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've heard bad things about Splenda. I avoid it whenever possible. Actually, I avoid all artificial sweeteners whenever possible. I like to use honey instead of sugar whenever I can. Yummm. :smile:
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've worked to reduce sweeteners in my diet in general, and I haven't replaced them with fake sweeteners either. None of them are healthy for you. I do use 1 tablespoon of raw coconut crystal sweetener in my oatmeal each day. Raw coconut crystals is the closest I've found to an all natural, low glycemic index and low calorie alternative.

Good luck!
    JoJo
  • beckyb77
    Options
    I use Truvia
  • bparsont
    Options
    AGAVE, it can be found at most grocery stores and warehouse stores. It has 60 calories per TBL, 16g carbs and 16g sugar and is 25% sweeter than sugar. Has a low glycemic burn so does not affect your blood sugar. Look it up in the internet, it is the rave right now as a true sweetner not artificial sweetner.
  • SmileSarah47
    SmileSarah47 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    where do you find it? the Coconut crystals
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    I use equal. Stevia, I have heard, is great but when I used it, I thought it was tooo sweet! Hope this helps! I am here for you gal!!!!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    where do you find it? the Coconut crystals

The brand is Coconut Secret, it'll cost ya about $10.00 for 12 oz. One canister lasted 21/2 months for me. I get it at my local natural foods co-op. If you live near a coop or Whole Foods I bet they either have it or can get it for you.

1 Tbsp is only 30 calories and the glycemic index is only 35.

Good luck!
    JoJo
  • littleBlu
    Options
    Wow thanks every one so so much i think ill try less sugar each time :) and if that dose not work then ill look into the sweeteners

thanks so so much :)
  • AllieWhiteley
    Options
    I was going to mention Agave too, as another poster did. I find it very easy to get hold if in my local supermarket (Waitrose).
  • Pennylite
    Pennylite Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The best natural sweeteners seem to be Stevia, Xylitol (marketed as Sweet Dream in the UK) and to a lesser degree Agave. Stevia from all accounts seems to be the safest. Xylitol isn't written about as much but I have super-healthy friends who swear by it. I use it only occasionally as I prefer Stevia. The downside for me about Xylitol is that it sometimes gave me digestive problems such as gas, bloating and diarrhea. I have heard conflicting reports about agave nectar. Apparently its important to check the source of the agave as some labels don't inform you that their product has gone through an extensive process of chemical refining despite the fact the label says "organic and all-natural". All in all, if you like the taste of Stevia, and some don't, it is probably one of the better options right now,