Loosing weight but still feel fat?

Options
I've been using the app since July last year, went off the rails Christmas time and didn't start it again till February, overall I've lost 31lbs, I'm 5ft10, & currently weighing 10st 11 and although I know I've lost weight because my clothes are too big and always getting people comment, but I still feel like I have massive thighs, still feel fat, I eat around 1200 calories a day but obviously I do have a cheat day every once and a while, take it one day at a time.

Is it just me who feels like this or?

Replies

• laurahadenough
    laurahadenough Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost 30kg some years back (have put it all back on with interest since ) and remember feeling just the same as when I was fat.. that is the hardest part of losing weight I think.. changing your mind set.. I used to go try clothes on and always pick up a couple sizes too big cos in my head that was what I was still..

I dont know how to change this but you're not alone..
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not just you. I've lost over 100 lbs and so I OBVIOUSLY look different but there have been days when I question that. it's truly a mindset switch - just try to remember the reality on days like that. That you HAVE changed and don't let it get you down. It's not easy but it does get easiER!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 pounds lighter than my heaviest. I've kept it off for several years. I still feel fat and see the "old me" in the mirror. There are days where I think I look great, but more often than not I see the old me. I don't know when it changes, but I hope it does. In the meantime know that you are doing good for yourself.
  • pav222
    pav222 Posts: 20
    Options
    same :((( such a **** demotivating feeling
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You are NOT FAT. OMG, you are not. You're thin. :)

I've lost fifty and am still fat, but I should see more than I do. I know that I am smaller, but I don't see it like others do. Most of what I see is comparison differences, like there is more room in the car now and I can fit places I didn't and when my boyfriend hugs me, he's wider around me than before.

When I look at my legs in the mirror, I see very little change.

I think it's because we are always with us, so we can't notice the change like others do.
  • puppup73
    puppup73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would say its because you are more aware of your body when you are bigger and in that denial zone it's easy to sweep it aside. When you start being good you are so looking for a dramatic change. I think Jillian Michaels said it that it takes years to get that unhealthy habit and extra weight so why do we expect change over night.
  • tesstcool
    tesstcool Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it takes a while for your mind to catch up. I am down to my last 3lbs and i still think i look fat! I weigh 113lbs. My logical brain tells me im good. My fat brain still tells me im fat. It is really weird. Ill grab at my "gut" expecting it to still be there. And its not. The only thing that tells the truth are before and after pictures!!
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. Sad, but normal. I don't know many females who feel the way they look, including myself!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I've been using the app since July last year, went off the rails Christmas time and didn't start it again till February, overall I've lost 31lbs, I'm 5ft10, & currently weighing 10st 11 and although I know I've lost weight because my clothes are too big and always getting people comment, but I still feel like I have massive thighs, still feel fat, I eat around 1200 calories a day but obviously I do have a cheat day every once and a while, take it one day at a time.

Is it just me who feels like this or?

no it is not just you that feels this way. Even though I have lost a lot of weight, I feel like that a lot when I start thinking of how much I have to go. WHat you need is a recharge. I highly suggest you take yourself to a store or goodwill (my favorite tool while dropping clothing sizes) and get yourself some properly fitting clothing. I find that wearing clothes that are too big make you feel the same size and all fluffy in them. You may be amazed and excited to see you have gone down a size. Just keep at it and always remember to stay positive. :flowerforyou:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    At 5'10" and 10st 11, your BMI is 20. That is well within the healthy weight range, and is actually closer to underweight than overweight. The good news is, you are not obese, or even overweight. Congratulations! :smile:

It is possible, if you've spent years dieting and not exercising, that your lean body mass is lower than you'd like it to be. If that's the case, lifting weights would build some of that back (but you'd have to eat more than 1200 calories to build muscle).

You are young and thin and beautiful. If you still feel fat, that to me suggests that it's not your diet that's the problem, but your body image. My suggestion would be to talk it over with a mental health professional (counselor or something like that), to see if you can get your mind in sync with reality.

Just the opinion of one random stranger on the internet. :flowerforyou:
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've lost a good amount but when I look at the scale or look in the mirror I don't see it. I should be able to see it cuz I have gone from a 3x to an xl-l and my friends and family see all the changes. I keep hearing it will take time so that's what I'm gonna go just give it time and get back to the work. good luck on your journey add me if you would like.:flowerforyou: