Best "exercise" game for Wii????

Options
I have been reading the posts about the different exercise type of games for the Wii. And until I have the money to buy myself a treadmill or stationary bike I thought I would look into getting a Wii game to start of with. Right now it is too cold to even think about going outside for a walk!!! So what I want to know is, what games have you tried, what games work for you? I currently have a Wii but do not have the Wii Balance Board (which I probably will not get due to the weight restrictions, at least until I drop some pounds) I have looked at the EA Active (I think is what it is called), it comes with what I call a "bungie strap" and it looks like it had some other things in it that wrap around your leg?? I also have heard the Just Dance games are good. Any suggestions for a game that I don't have to use a Wii Balance board for would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks all!!!

Kelley :)

Replies

• lindsayog
    Options
    The wii fit plus...is great but you do need a balance board...there is a personal trainer with that game, it also tells you how many cals you burn with each exercise...there are also several short programmes to work out to! Make it your incentive to loose some lbs...so you can get one! :D
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    We have Just Dance 2 and LOVE it! Great workout and lots of fun. My little 4-year-old loves to play along with us, so it's great for the whole family. My two favorite dances are Jump! and Rasputin. When I first started I could hardly breath after doing those two, but I keep getting better.

UPDATE: Just checked the Amazon.com website and Just Dance 2 is on sale for $29.99... Good deal :-)
  • littlemissgreedy
    littlemissgreedy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have EA active sport (first version) and it is pretty good. There are areas of the game that could be improved but it gives a varied workout, at a level that suits you. Personally I prefer the games i have that use the balance board (I use wii fit and biggest loser), but the Active Sports game is worth a try is great to get you started!
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ea sports active is the best and i have wii fit and wii fit plus biggest loser and EA active and also just dance 1
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Biggest Loser Challenge and no balance board is required.
  • ultraviolencexo
    Options
    Your Shape :) it comes with a motion camera it's amazing lol
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have just bought your shape good price at the moment . and it is the best i love it . it as a camera that you put on your tv. not so good that you can see yourself doing the exercise but it sure keeps you motivated . it tells you what your problem area is and its very accurate i can tell you . you can also add weights and step and the big ball you can do exercise on if you have them .
  • megnewson
    Options
    I would recommend Your Shape. You don't need the balance board. It comes with a usb camera you hook up to your Wii and it scans your image and puts it on the screen. It has so many exercises and she asks you every day what area you'd like to focus on and how your feeling. There are 3 different levels depending on your energy. You can go 15 minutes, 30 or longer. And she will also setup personal routines for you. Tells you how many calories you've burned and she adjusts as you go if you're having difficulty. She's very encouraging. I recently got it on sale at Walmart.com and have since seen raving reviews on the internet. I'd suggest googling it and reading some of those.
  • nikapp13
    Options
    ive got the EA active i lost a stone using it last summer but then my DD broke the wii so havent had it until xmas when i got a new one..
    i like the EA active game i dont have a balance board but that is next on my list of things to buy. It gies you a good work out i think...i started of on med intensity Love doing the targets gets rid of all my frustration LOL
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    EA Sports Active 2 is probably the best of a bad bunch – these games often don’t burn that many calories, although this one will at least make you break a sweat. The other Wii games are often not that effective. I’ve heard some good things about the biggest loser game, but have no experience of it myself.

I would just strongly suggest that unless you are completely new to exercise and don’t think you could even bring yourself to go on a 30 minute brisk walk, that the ‘fitness’ games aren’t that effective. They can act as a supplement to a decent workout, or for those days when you really can’t get out the house, but as your only form of exercise, they will have a very limited effectiveness. In my opinion save yourself $60 or whatever these things cost in the states, buy a decent pair of walking shoes and go out for a brisk walk every day. Heck, buy yourself an ipod shuffle to listen to while you walk and you will probably still only spend about the same as you would have on one of these games!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just tried Just Dance 2 last night and it had my heart rate up in within minutes and kept it there. Plus it was fun.
  • knhall09
    Options
    Thanks for all the in put guys!!!! I guess I still have some thinking to do on what I try first. I just want to get moving some until it warms up and I can actually go outside for a walk. (outside walking
    not happening in 10 degree weather!!!!) :)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I find wii fit plus frustrating because you have to hold the remote and keep pushing buttons to move through the exercises. I love just dance 2. Lots more fun. Dances not too hard. Fun for the whole family.
  • mcarpe52797
    Options
    I just tried Just Dance 2 last night and it was a lot of fun. I definitely broke a sweat and felt like I got a good workout. I won't use it as my main excercise, but as extra.( Especially when it's cold and snowy outside :) ) I was looking into other games to supplement going to the gym and appreciate the feedback on this thread.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would recomend the Xbox with the kenects. They have a zumba game, and since the kenect detects your body movement you can't cheat yourself like you can with the wii. Because with teh wii if you know the right way to move the controller it may register when you haven't actually completed the movement
  • eshyay
    eshyay Posts: 18
    Options
    ea sports active is the best and i have wii fit and wii fit plus biggest loser and EA active and also just dance 1

This, although I have no balance board and don't have biggest loser. I adore that game!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have EA active 2 and just dance 2. They both provide great workouts. Just dance is more fun to workout to but EA active has a heart rate monitor and sensors so u kno how many calories u burn. Either one is great for breaking a sweat. You don't need the balance board for EA active 2. I have the board and I wouldn't suggest it.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I like the wii fit for the 30 min run that is my favorite thinking of getting EA Active 2 for PS3 just to do something maybe on saturday or something since I hit the gym monday thru friday.
  • aurorathunder
    Options
    I have the original Wii Fit and Active games. I haven't played them in awhile because our Wii broke. Personally I think the Active is much, much better than Fit. The Fit is fun, but it's really not a good work out. For each activity you do you have to move through menus. Unless you are doing the cardio activities you are constantly selecting a new activity. For instance if you want to do yoga, you select each pose individually, which takes a minute or so. Then you hold the pose for 15-30 seconds and it gives you credit for a full minute of working out. I once calculated that it took me an hour to do 15 of their minutes of yoga and 15 of their minutes of strength training. With Active you can choose a work out or customize your own. In an hour I can do at least 45-55 minutes worth of working out (depending on which activities I choose). It's much easier to move from each activity without any time lag. I also really like the cardio workouts for Active much better.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    has anyone tried the wii zumba? i'm curious to know how it is...