Family issues--advice wanted!

Options
I haven't been on here in awhile, but I'm back because I need advice and someone to talk to.

I'm currently in what I consider to be a very toxic living situation.
I'm 19 years old. My parents have been fighting constantly for weeks now. I don't even know what started it but they have now gotten to the point where they are barely speaking to each other. I've been woken up multiple mornings because of a fight. I've had to listen to them talk trash behind each other's backs constantly, more so my mother about him than he about her. She has been very upset and has told me about things he has said. I've listened to what she has to say, but I always tell her that it's up to her to talk to him about it and it's up to her to put her foot down. She won't say anything to him because she expects me to do it, so I'm being put in the middle and I'm supposed to stop their fighting. Now I'm being accused of taking sides and all of this seems to be coming back around on me.

I have a job, savings, and my own car but I don't have anywhere else to go. My closest friend recently moved out of state. This fighting has really gotten me down to the point where I don't want to do anything but look for ways to escape it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you think that you can successful mediate things, try. If you don't think that you can be impartial or that they will listen to you, call in a disinterested third party (like a couples therapist) .

If you feel that it's disrupting your life and they are unwilling to let you help/ get help for themselves and if you have enough money to move out, do it. If you can't afford it, keep your head down, save your money and get out as soon as you can.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    If you think that you can successful mediate things, try. If you don't think that you can be impartial or that they will listen to you, call in a disinterested third party (like a couples therapist) .

If you feel that it's disrupting your life and they are unwilling to let you help/ get help for themselves and if you have enough money to move out, do it. If you can't afford it, keep your head down, save your money and get out as soon as you can.

Thanks for your advice. I've mentioned couples therapy and neither of them seem interested.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Move out.

If you are financially dependent on one or both of them remind each of them that your are their child and love them both, and if they loved you, they wouldn't put you in the middle of their problems.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    That sucks...sorry to hear that. Honestly I would avoid, avoid, avoid. If they are fighting early in the morning, I would change my schedule to work out somewhere before work. And I'd find stuff to do after work if they fight then too.

It's not fair of your mom to put you in the middle of things, don't let her if you can avoid it. Good luck!
  • delaney056
    Options
    Move out.

If you are financially dependent on one or both of them remind each of them that your are their child and love them both, and if they loved you, they wouldn't put you in the middle of their problems.

Yes, I am partially dependent on both of them. What makes it the most difficult is college because it's so expensive, but I have enough money to work that out for awhile. I've made it clear to her that I'm not playing the blame game and that I just want the fighting to stop because I love both of them.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Moving out will help only so much. I went through something similar when my parents were splitting up. I was living 10 hours away from home and I was still getting phone calls from both of them telling me what the other one was doing wrong. The only thing that really helped was putting my foot down and telling each of them that I didn't want to hear it and and I'm not taking any sides.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this.
    It isn't right that your parents are involving you in this situation. You are 19 years old and you should not be expected to solve their marriage problem.
    Sit them down together and tell them to seek out some type of counsel, that you are not going to be able to solve their problems.
    From there, all you need to do is worry about what you need to do for yourself. Since you have the resources to move out, that may be the best thing for you to do.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.

Have you talked to them about how being in the middle makes you feel? That it's negatively impacting you in several ways? Do you have family that would help, or let you stay with them?

I honestly have very little advice, unfortunately. I'd try my best to get a little efficiency apartment and try to live on my own.
  • delaney056
    Options
    Well I said that I wasn't going to take sides and it started a huge heated argument. Now my dad is telling me that he will "never say he's proud of me again" and putting me down because he denies saying anything mean to her. And now he's saying I'm going to get shot, etc. out there on my own because I stood up and said I wasn't going to be put in the middle of it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Sit them both down and tell them to work it out without putting you in the middle. Tell them they make you feel like you're being driven away and you're prepared to start looking for an apartment. Maybe it'll give them the kick in the butt they need.
  • delaney056
    Options
    Sit them both down and tell them to work it out without putting you in the middle. Tell them they make you feel like you're being driven away and you're prepared to start looking for an apartment. Maybe it'll give them the kick in the butt they need.

I tried that and it made things worse...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Well I said that I wasn't going to take sides and it started a huge heated argument. Now my dad is telling me that he will "never say he's proud of me again" and putting me down because he denies saying anything mean to her. And now he's saying I'm going to get shot, etc. out there on my own because I stood up and said I wasn't going to be put in the middle of it.

Oh hon, you need to get out of there. That sort of emotional blackmail is SO toxic and can seriously do lasting damage.

Any Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents?
  • delaney056
    Options

Oh hon, you need to get out of there. That sort of emotional blackmail is SO toxic and can seriously do lasting damage.

Any Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents?

They all live in Michigan or Florida. No other family here locally.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. Move. Out. Contact your relatives and figure out if maybe you can stay with one of them while you get a job or go to school.

That's more than just adults fighting. Saying that crap to you is just messed up. Remove yourself out of that house and situation NOW.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Make this phrase of part of your vocabulary and using it as needed, as much as needed.

"Mom/Dad, I love you and I also love Dad/Mom, so I will not listen to anything negative you have to say about him/her. Let's talk about something else, if not, I'm going to my room/for a walk/to the gym/to study/etc."

Be firm and follow thru. Hopefully they will realize trash-talking to you is futile.

Good luck.
  • delaney056
    Options

Wow. Move. Out. Contact your relatives and figure out if maybe you can stay with one of them while you get a job or go to school.

That's more than just adults fighting. Saying that crap to you is just messed up. Remove yourself out of that house and situation NOW.

I'm currently enrolled in college and I've already registered for the next semester, so I'd like to stay somewhere around here. My job is here too. My best friend recently moved to Virginia and I'd like to move there but I can't do that immediately. None of my relatives live around here.
  • ilenepedersen
    Options
    Do you have a school/college couselor you could talk to? It doesn't seem like your parents are listening to you. Sometimes growing up means leaving home and setting boundaries. There are some good books on setting boundaries and maybe some good websites. You sound like a very mature young lady and I wish you the best.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Your parents may not be able to solve their issues at this time, but you can offer your support and suggestions for therapy without taking sides. If you feel this is a situation you cannot live with, you are an adult now. You have options especially if you are working. Renting your own apartment may not be feasible but you can look for rooms to rent or a roommate situation (screen these carefully)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm currently enrolled in college and I've already registered for the next semester, so I'd like to stay somewhere around here. My job is here too. My best friend recently moved to Virginia and I'd like to move there but I can't do that immediately. None of my relatives live around here.

Does your college have housing options for students? Do they have a bulletin area where people may be looking for roommates?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Contact your closest (emotionally) friend or family member, explain the situation and see it they can help you escape that situation.

If you honestly cannot imagine transferring schools, contact you school and see if they can help.

I personally would get as far away as possible.