Does 45 mins of turbo Jam really burn 845 Cals?...

Options
I have been adding in my 45 mins of turbo Jam and it automatically adds up to 845cals...however...since calculating this AND making myself eat most of my supposed excercise calories I have not been able to lose any weight. I did better when I ate much less and just walked for 30 mins per day...I have just brought the TURBO FIRE workouts and notice that they suggest calculating an average Turbo Fire class at no more than 650 cals at a time (and they are intense)+ if this is so then the 845 estimate for a turbo jam workout is way to much isn't it?!...please advise - I am feeling rather frustrated! Oh and one more thing "Turbo Fire" suggest including a 200cal daily catchall for food you forget to tally up or had underestimated does anyone do that...I think I need too!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    lol hi and what is turbo jam???
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If not and you are going off of MFP's calculations, you are probably way off. They generally estimate way high. If you can invest in a heart rate monitor, you definitely should. it's been the best investment I've made in a LONG time.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i wont say it's impossible to burn that much using turbo fire (i don't know about turbo jam) but you REALLY have to be moving and grooving to burn that many calories in that time frame. Everyone's body is different, it's best to invest in a HRM or put the calories burned to 450 or lower for the time frame.
  • katie1776
    Options
    I don't think so. The exercise i found listed for it on MFP Kickboxing (incl. Turbo Kick) says I would burn (at 162, important since so much of this is weight dependent) 554 for 45 minutes. The suggestion to get/check a HRM is a good one, too!
  • Abbyg35
    Abbyg35 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think you ladies a right - I'm off to buy a heart rate monitor! - thanks (o:
  • Abbyg35
    Options
    ...I mean you ARE right (not a right)
  • patty11932
    Options
    I'm with Skinny. This program says that I burn about the same amount of calories when I walk briskly for 45 minutes, as when I do 45 minutes of Tai Chi. that's just wrong. I've just been doing this for 5 days (reallllllly love it), and think I'll make a point of only consuming 50% of the calories it adds back to my bank based on exercise. Good luck today everyone - go strong!
  • pdm26
    pdm26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Having looked at Turbo Jam I suspect it burns in the region of 200-300 calories for a 45 minute session, depending on how hard you push yourself. Very few cardio exercises burn 845 calories in 45 minutes, and those that do are the preserve of top athletes.

But don't forget that the calories burned by exercising aren't limited to those you remove during the exercise alone. For the hour after you have finished exercising, your body will still be burning calories at a higher rate than normal (whatever our individual 'normal' is). So you may end up getting rid of up to 350 calories overall for this 45 minute session. That's still very, very good though!
  • Abbyg35
    Options
    Hi there - turbo jam is a high energy airobic workout based on kick boxing - lots of fun...very sweaty stuff!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Abby,

Maybe go back to not eating your exercise calories, since that seems to be the big difference you describe between when you were losing weight (eating less and walking 30 minutes) and now (eating much more and doing turbo jam). I'm always hungrier when I exercise than when I don't, AND I gain weight when I exercise EVEN IF the calories consumed are the same. Life just is NOT fair. But mathematically, it seems likely that eating more is the problem.

But I agree about the HRM--I love mine.

Holly
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yeah depending on how hard you work, i can get to 540 cals depending how my energy level! i lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Turbo Jam and I would love if you added me as a friend and we can talk about turbo jam and see our weight loss. so far i have lost 7 pounds on this workout!!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    arrrrr what is turbo jam???????????????? please tell me!
  • Abbyg35
    Options
    Hi...Turbo Jam is a high energy workout based on kickboxing - lots of fun...sweaty stuff!
  • Abbyg35
    Options
    Thankyou all so much for your feedback....till I get my heart rate monitor I think I'll estimate around 350cals to be on the safe side and see how I go this week...All the best to everyone (o:
  • I have been trying to figure this out myself, it seemed like a lot of calories burned...not that I am not exhausted afterwards! I am going to do as advised as well, and not eat the extra calories. Two weeks with my fitness pal, and turbo jam and I am 4 lbs down already. Very happy!