carb confusion!

Options
hey everyone!

does anyone know if there's a limit to the amount of carbs per day with a low calorie diet?

or is it just the calories that count?

for instance i sometimes have a baked potato for lunch,is it then wrong to have pasta for dinner? even if i stay below my calories?

or does anything go as long as im within my calorie limits?

please help!

xXx

Replies

• skippy37
    Options
    Go to your food diary. At the bottom of the day it will show you if you have gone over on any of the food catagories. Hope this helps.
    HAGD
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    it gives u a daily quota in yr food diary .. if u go over it they turn red.. so try and keep it green !.. ( i prefer to overdo the protein , than the carbs)
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There will probably be a lot of different thoughts out there. I personally only monitored calories and lost 10 pounds a month for the first three months and my cholesterol and blood pressure went from high to normal. I think that you have to lose the weight first by limiting your calories. Then, when you get to your goal or close, you can fine tune your calorie intake based on your specific health needs if they are still there.

Good luck!
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    if you count calories ]
    either go for high carb and low fat diet
    or high fat and low carb which i prefer
  • Bigneka
    Options
    Hi Ikeyleighbaybee, stay away from the carbs, they matter. carbs turn into sugar and sugar turn into fat. I am borderline diabeted, i am on a strict diet of less then 180grms of carbs per day.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a personal preference, but for me, I am very carb sensitive. I've done Weight Watchers many times and I could literally eat my points in carbs and no weight loss. The diet I am now only allows me a certain number of carbs (100g) a day. Miraculously, it has been my secret weapon because I the weight is falling off me and I have learned how to eat and not have to eat carbs all the time.

for yourself, make sure you choose the healthy carbs, whole grain breads and pastas, and stay away from anything processed but do try to stay within your parameters given to you!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    They say a well rounded diet has a range of about, repeat, about, 50 percent Carbs, 25 percent protien, and 25 percent fat.
    The protien is to support the muscles you are building as you get your body in shape, the carbs are for energy, vitamins and minerals, and fiber, and the fat is needed for proper processing of certain vitamins and for other body processes.
    You need at least 1200 calories per day of food. If you eat 60 percant carbs one day, or 35 percent protien another day, it will even itself out. Just try to keep your sugar and sodium usage as low as possible--and drink lots of water.

Have fun!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    hey everyone!

does anyone know if there's a limit to the amount of carbs per day with a low calorie diet?

for instance i sometimes have a baked potato for lunch,is it then wrong to have pasta for dinner? even if i stay below my calories?

please help!

xXx

I changed my carbs to only be 45% of my diet instead of the standard 55% I think that MFP makes it. I do limit my carbs to help regulate my blood sugar. I've found that when I keep my carbs at 45% of my calorie intake, my calorie intake overall is much better. I tend to not go over as much.

I have never watched carbs before, but I am trying to keep from gaining too much weight while pregnant. I didn't think it would make a huge difference, but it did. I feel better, not so bogged down, and I managed to not gain as much weight at the doctors last weigh in.

Going no carb or extreme low carb isn't for me. I know it works for some, but balancing my carbs throughout the day (see below helps)

My carb limits for each day:
    Breakfast 20 mg
    Lunch and Dinner 60 mg each
    Snacks 2-3 20 mg each

For a total of 200 per day, which goes along with my calorie target. Good luck.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hi Ikeyleighbaybee, stay away from the carbs, they matter. carbs turn into sugar and sugar turn into fat. I am borderline diabeted, i am on a strict diet of less then 180grms of carbs per day.

Amen! Sista!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I too lived on Rice Pasta Baked potato !

I lost no/very little weight when under my daily calories goal until i cut the carbs.

I alos cut the amount of salt i was using, which I added to potato's and pasta during the cooking process
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal so you should try to be mindful of the type of carbs that you are eating.

Low GI (Glycemic index) or complex carbs are better when you are trying to reduce weight as they are assimilated at a slower rate and supply a steadier supply of energy.

You can do a quick search to find out more.
    Good luck!
  • deandp371
    Options
    This site doesn't seem to track fiber intake but that's an important element in your diet too. So I think having more complex carbs would be a good thing! I do have a weakness for pasta - and I hope the whole grain and blended pastas are a little better for me!

Just my 2 cents - I'm certainly not a dietician!
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have the most success on a high protein, moderate fat, lower carb diet.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I do a 40% protein, 40% carb, 10% fat diet. I finally found out how to change the ratios to my needs on here too. I also try to eat a serving of protein and a serving of carbs for every meal. The carbs aren't as neccessary at night before you go to bed though.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    hey everyone!

please help!

xXx

Calories are the most important thing. If you go way over carbs or fats or proteins every now and then, it's ok. if you go over on carbs or fats every day, then rethink your choices.

As for the type of carbs, the main problem with simple carbs is that they give you a quick burst of energy, sometimes followed by a crash and more hunger. If you're tracking your cals and staying inside them, you can have simple carbs as a part of your diet. personally, I prefer and try to always eat complex carbs, but if I'm in a situation where my meal is white bread and/or pasta, I won't be a diet nazi and say no.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Relying on fiberous carbs, vegetables, fruits, is usually much better than relying on starchy carbs. Starchy carbs (white potatoes, for example) are good for a quick energy source but aren't necessary.

I guess for reference I stick to about 25% carbs, 25% protein, 50% fat. Sometimes I cycle the carbs considerably higher if I'm going on a long run or racing.

So yeah, you'll see answers all over the place on this one.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    This site doesn't seem to track fiber intake but that's an important element in your diet too. So I think having more complex carbs would be a good thing! I do have a weakness for pasta - and I hope the whole grain and blended pastas are a little better for me!

Just my 2 cents - I'm certainly not a dietician!

It does track Fiber you just have to tell it too. You have to tell it which nutrients you want to track. I think somewhere under food or something it gives you the option.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Try to cut out starches after lunch and only eat low glycemic carbs for the rest of the day.

Starches = grains, breads, pastas, rice (yes even whole grain types), potatoes, corn
    Low glycemic carbs = fruits and veggies! Except for carrots.. they're not low glycemic.

I usually do a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a sandwich or Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer for lunch, and some kind of protein with veggies for dinner. You will feel hungry until you get used to it, but it's just your body's addiction to starches. =P