Opinion about this weight loss strategy

Options
1. Calculate weekly calorie intake to lose a certain amount of weight per week.
2. Ration those calories and rollover unused calories to the weekend.
3. "Overeat" on the weekend yet do not go over allocated calories. "Overeating" will create a feeling of almost being repulsed by food which will prevent binging at the start of the week due to feelings of deprivation

Basically, if I allocate 14,000 calories per week and have about 4000 leftover by Saturday, then I would consume around 3000 on Saturday even though I would be okay at 2000. I would feel 'stuffed' for a couple of days which makes it easier to prevent from going over my weekly calorie allowance of 14,000.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it works. However, eating a lot one day usually makes me more hungry the next day. I do better keeping all of my days right at my goal.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    3. "Overeat" on the weekend yet do not go over allocated calories. "Overeating" will create a feeling of almost being repulsed by food which will prevent binging at the start of the week due to feelings of deprivation

Basically, if I allocate 14,000 calories per week and have about 4000 leftover by Saturday, then I would consume around 3000 on Saturday even though I would be okay at 2000. I would feel 'stuffed' for a couple of days which makes it easier to prevent from going over my weekly calorie allowance of 14,000.

Personally, I would worry about getting into the habit of overeating, no matter what the reason. Whether you're measuring or not, you're still setting your mind up to expect that weekend binge, that huge rush of food, and no matter if it's once a week or once a day, you're still going to start associating that overstuffed feeling with what it means to be full.

I mean, you do you, but I would worry about making overeating a scheduled undertaking.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it might work for you, so why not try it and let us know. it wouldn't work for me because eating crazily makes me want to continue eating crazily.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options

Personally, I would worry about getting into the habit of overeating, no matter what the reason. Whether you're measuring or not, you're still setting your mind up to expect that weekend binge, that huge rush of food, and no matter if it's once a week or once a day, you're still going to start associating that overstuffed feeling with what it means to be full.

I mean, you do you, but I would worry about making overeating a scheduled undertaking.

I would never go over my allocated calories. I would be consuming the same amount calories during the week as I would if I were not 'overeating.'
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Certainly try it out, different things work for different people. I do something similar but on a smaller scale. I don't like the idea of such a drastic difference between weekend and weekday. I might under eat by 1000 - 1500 during the week, and split that extra between Saturday and Sunday. It's plenty for me to feel like I've indulged, but not enough to bloat me, make me uncomfortable, or feeling emotionally guilty. It also hasn't confused my body in any negative way. I also don't do this every week, though I have planned for it for this weekend in anticipation of 4th of July celebrations.
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to feel stuffed for a couple days, after over eating for one day? On day's where I have eaten a particularly large meal ( like going to a buffet) I may feel stuffed until the following day, at the longest.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it if you want to and see how it works.

After your stomach is stretched out by the indulgence, it's going to have to shrink again, so you might be a little extra hungry after that, maybe.

My personal thought on weight loss is that the people telling you to make a lifestyle change are right. It's a good goal, being healthy and thin (as opposed to just thin.)

But everyone should walk their own path!! If this works for you, great!! If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. You can try something else. You will find what works for you.

Good luck! :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Lots of people save up calories during the week so they can splurge on the weekend and keep their weekly average on target. It works for some, but I don't think most people do it to the extreme you seem to be contemplating, stuffing yourself on purpose in the hopes that it will make you sick of eating. Most people just want to be able to have pizza and beer on Saturday, or pancakes for Sunday brunch.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's a well known and important habit, when we know we'll have a day where we're likely to overeat (like at a big party) to undereat another day or couple of days. So within that context, your plan is totally sane.

Intentional, preplanned, regular bingeing, and regularly underfueling on the other days, sounds a little different. Maybe it will work for you; but as others noted, binge behaviors beget binge behaviors in many people.

Seems like no problem to try it. Truly people here have found many different paths that work for them. You'd probably want to pull back at any early signs that this either does not make you want to go under on the after-binge days, or leaves you feeling unhealthy every week once a week, or gives you too little fuel for a happy day on your weekdays.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

This. Even though you haven't gone over your weekly goal, it does seem to encourage overeating on purpose.It seems like it might be better to figure out a cause for the binging first and see if you can prevent the feeling/need to binge at any point. I know that's probably easier said than done but good luck with that you decide.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I would never go over my allocated calories. I would be consuming the same amount calories during the week as I would if I were not 'overeating.'

It's not the calorie count I was raising an eyebrow at, rather the behavior at which the count was arrived.

You outline this eating plan to prevent binging by essentially scheduling a binge, thereby ensuring that a binge will not only happen this week, but next week and the week after, creating a cycle of deprivation an overindulgence that does not sound, to me at least, like it would set you up to break a cycle of overeating since it is, in and of itself, a cycle of overeating.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Given the fact that I am a simple minded person and refuse to make weight loss complicated, i'd say that maybe you're putting too much thought into it. That is just my opinion though. By all means try it out and if it works for you, then it works for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's super healthy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You kinda just described my plan, but without the "being repulsed by food" bit. I eat low during the week, so I can eat what I want (within reason) on the weekend. Porridge, salads and grilled meat Mon to Fri for Beer and pizza on the weekend? Hell yeah.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if that would work for me personally. On a normal day I net around 1500, but I can easily eat 3000+ without feeling repulsed by food. I definitely wouldn't feel stuffed the next morning since all the food would have been digested. I'd much rather have the same calorie goal each day, and one that's not too low, so that I don't feel deprived and want to binge in the first place.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Most people would call this a cheat day. Enjoy.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you allocate 14000 calories a week then this means 2000 calories a day. If you have 4000 calories leftover by Saturday then this means you missed 2 days of eating which should be more of a red flag to you. The point about saving calories is for people who want more flexibility in their weight loss plan. If it is better for you to eat all of your calories by the day then do it.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm all for "zigzagging" calories (averaging out over the week) but think that your "planned binging" is a bad idea. The best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle is to fix your relationship with food. This plan doesn't do that.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    That's been my strategy all along. If I weren't doing that, I would have given up on this whole thing a long time ago.

Edit: Oh, except for all the binging and being "repulsed by food". That's not my bag.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    . "Overeating" will create a feeling of almost being repulsed by food which will prevent binging at the start of the week due to feelings of deprivation

i don't understand why you would want to do this? its hardly a normal healthy approach to food!