410 lbs on my way to 250!

Smalls75
Smalls75 Posts: 8
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
I have started to go to the gym and keep track of my calorie intake. Man is it scary how much I use to eat! Any suggestions on healthy low calorie snacks would be appreciated! I haven't had chips or Ritz in 3 weeks and its hard to stop the cravings late at night!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Veggies and dip, triscuits with reduced fat cheese, fruit, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, apple and pb. If I really want potato chips (I love these things lol) I buy Lays Baked. They're about 120 cal a serving and lower fat. I love the sugar free puddings and jell-o. Hmm..that's all I can think of at the moment!

Btw, welcome to MFP!!! Congrats on your progress so far and good luck to you!!
  • I also love the sugar free jello. It only has 10 calories and no sugar or fat! I also have a hard time fighting the cravings of chips...those are my FAVORITE thing!
  • jppoynt
    jppoynt Posts: 16 Member
    Chips are huge for me too!!!! I love Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins (the pecan ones are my favorite). They are gluten free (I'm a Celiac) rice & nut crackers. Nutritionally they are a bit better than chips - and they satisfy that chip/cracker thing.
  • Thanks for the info! My problem has always been the crunchy craving. I am getting away with eating apples and celery, but i am getting tired of it and need to add something else. I will try the dip and maybe that will help.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    The Special K baked crackers are really good. I like the whole wheat ones dipped in 1% fat cottage cheese, or I dip them in a wedge of Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow cheese. I am not a big chip eater, that was never the problem, but the Baked Sour Cream and Onion Lays are delicious. One of my favorite snacks is half a banana sliced on top of a toasted Special K Low Fat waffle with a smear of reduced fat peanut butter. Satisfies the sweet tooth every time!
  • Healthyby30
    Oh Wheatables or Wheat thins (i forget which) make those pecan and almond crackers as well. I LOVE those things!!

Also, for the dip. I make mine with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. One serving is 20 calories and 0 fat, if you get 0% yogurt. Just a thought.
  • mugglewump701
    mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
    If you're looking for a substitute for chips and dip, try pita chips and hummus - they are really good for you and they've satisfied my chip craving. You could also try low fat wheat thins or lentil chips - I found them in the natural foods section - for a 22 chip serving, they're only 100 calories, 3 grams of fat and a lot of fiber and protein so that's a snack that will keep you full (especially along with the hummus).

I also heard that Special K just made some chips that are supposed to be really good for you. Hope this helped, good luck!
  • Me too I love crunchy/spicy --

I love Wasa High Fiber Crackers (30 cals per cracker) they are ultra crunchy! They have many other varieties.

w/ a little Nutella or Peanut butter
    w/a slice of sharp cheddar and sliced granny smith apple

They are also great for lunch w/low cal Tuna salad and I use them a lot in the place of bread(s) I make stackable turkey sandwiches w/them...

Also another snack I like for crunchy cravings,...
    Wheat Thins or Baked Tortilla Chips w/ Salsa, a whole lot better than having any other dips and you get those veggie servings in

Good Luck :)
  • @Skinnyby29 I will have to look for the pecan/almond crackers. I haven't tried/seen those yet.
  • Healthyby30
    Oh something else I just thought of, Blue Diamond makes flavored almonds. That's a great way to get a new taste out of them. They make habanero (not THAT spicy, but a little kick), smokehouse (Love those!), garden herb, there's more but I can't think of them right now. Anyway, they're delicious!
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Not sure if your stores carry much in the way of 100 calorie packs, but around here we have a variety. Ritz Toasted Chips - they have original and sour cream and chives flavors; Baked Cheetos; Cheetos Cheese Balls. They are also selling a baked type of pringles now in individual servings. I like the 100 cal packs because of the portion control. You can probably buy a larger package and divide them yourself into single servings, but when I in a hurry to head to work, it is awfully convienent. I allow myself 1 100 calorie pack per day of my favorite chips or crackers as a snack. Keeps me in control.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement. We started at close to the same weight, so I understand the struggles. :smile:
  • The biggest problem is I work a rotation on 12 hour shifts. So I move from day shift to graveyard. Its hard to turn around at times so I am often up in the middle of the night. IF I have the snacks in the house, I will eat them. My will power is not that strong yet. I would eat one, then decide to eat more. I am hopeful that it will be easier after I have more progress. Then I won't want to eat and gain back all that I have lost. If I eat a bunch of apples or celery, its better for me and my calorie intake doesn't take as big of a hit. Thank you all for the great suggestions!
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    i actually just found a great low-calorie snack that i had never even heard of before.... potato straws! they're baked, all natural and you can eat 38 of them for around 140 calories. i tried the cheddar flavor and they are y-u-m-m-y!

other filling and yummy snacks that I love... microwave popcorn, vitatops vitamuffins, hard boiled eggs, sugar free fudgesicles
  • If I hit a chip craving special k has a new thing out called cracker chips and I love their sour cream and onion one. low fat, low cals and not that high in sodium. Very delicous.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    My 'treat' sometimes is an apple with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

Or a mango :)

Or carrots with horseradish (HAHA I'm weird).
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Kudos to you that you're taking charge. I wish you all the luck on your new journey.

I buy 100 calorie pack cookies by Keebler, Quacker rice cakes, Jello 60 calorie pudding, Special K cereal bars....
  • lgeren
    lgeren Posts: 45
    I would def. recommend the crackers that evryone is recommending. For me, the chips are my weakness. I don't really get cravings for anything sweet but its the savory & salty stuff. So having that crunch would fool my tastebuds into thinking that it is actually a chip.
  • I know exactly what you are saying I love the crunch I had to keep pounds of baby carrots in the fridge when I first started losing wieght to get the crunch, not my favorite in flavor but I could munch til my teeth hurt and feel satisfied for only about 30 calories.
  • My wife is going Grocery shopping today and is taking the suggestions with her. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with the same problem with the cravings!
  • This is what i do. if i have exercised and had a good day with my food, I eat Weight Watchers Chocolate Eclairs. But I eat all three lol (420 calories) because I have already burned them with exercise.
    Keep up the good work and have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.