Carbs Fat Sugar Protein...Confused

Options
I've been working on improving my family's diet in the last month or so and I'm the only one with an unhealthy BMI. They are eating well balanced meals and I'm trying to cut back my carb intake since I noticed I was eating a pitiful amount of protein and way overdoing the carbs everyday. Now I'm flipped, I'm eating about 100 to 150 carbs a day and my protein is about 80 to 90. My sugar is much lower than my allowed daily and my fat is usually above the recommended. My calories are under my daily allowance.I don't want to do an extreme low carb dieting. My carbs are coming from whole grain items (i.e. sprouted wheat) and fruits(berries) and veggies.

I don't have diabetes, I enjoy running and have started a beginners training plan for a 10k. I'm about 25 lbs overweight. Are these healthy dietary totals for someone? I want to eat healthy but not feel hungry all the time like I do with too many carbs. I guess my biggest concern is that my fats are higher than the recommended. However, my overall calories are down and I feel satisfied not starving. Sorry for any rambling!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Always see a doctor before beginning a weight loss journey. If you don't get regular physicals, now is the time to set one up! :)

You can eat fresh fruits and veggies all day long - stuff yourself sick! - and the odds of exceeding anything because of it are pretty darn low.

Check this out;

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

Once you've switched over (little by little) to eating healthy, it will be very difficult to eat too many calories. You can cut back on the exercise when you reach your goal weight and be all set. All that measuring and weighing won't be necessary. And you'll not only get thinner, but healthier.

It's a big adjustment and takes time, two steps forward and one step back, lol. But it's a healthy lifestyle change.

You should, of course, do whatever you please!! Talk to the doc, figure out what you want and do that! Everyone has to do what is right for them. Just some food for thought. :)
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better? If you do, keep it up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I've been working on improving my family's diet in the last month or so and I'm the only one with an unhealthy BMI. They are eating well balanced meals and I'm trying to cut back my carb intake since I noticed I was eating a pitiful amount of protein and way overdoing the carbs everyday. Now I'm flipped, I'm eating about 100 to 150 carbs a day and my protein is about 80 to 90. My sugar is much lower than my allowed daily and my fat is usually above the recommended. My calories are under my daily allowance.I don't want to do an extreme low carb dieting. My carbs are coming from whole grain items (i.e. sprouted wheat) and fruits(berries) and veggies.

I don't have diabetes, I enjoy running and have started a beginners training plan for a 10k. I'm about 25 lbs overweight. Are these healthy dietary totals for someone? I want to eat healthy but not feel hungry all the time like I do with too many carbs. I guess my biggest concern is that my fats are higher than the recommended. However, my overall calories are down and I feel satisfied not starving. Sorry for any rambling!

Those totals sound close enough.
    Keep up the good work.
    Good luck.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing everything right....if you just started then it will take time for your body to adjust to the new habit.

It may take anywhere from 21 days to 3 months for you to feel comfortable with your routine.

At this point you may want to focus on "triggers" that may cause you to fall off from time to time...such as stress, anger, fear, even over joy emotions that may make want to cope or celebrate with food.

good luck
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is your recommended fat intake? I'm following a high fat moderate protein diet under advisement of my endocrinologist (I do not have diabetes but other thyroid and adrenal issues). Since adopting this way of eating I definitely feel less hungry, but I'm eating much fewer calories.

Unfortunately we've been persuaded for decades that fats are BAD, and led to believe that we must avoid them or we'll become OVERWEIGHT. However, despite decreases in dietary fats obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease pervade. There's a great NPR piece that discusses this, here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean. There was also a piece in SHAPE magazine recently as well which discussed high carb vs. high fat--- women that had higher fat intake had increased weight loss and markers for diabetes and CVD improved well beyond what the high carb group attained (http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/why-eating-man-may-be-best-womens-health).

Slowly but surely countries are starting to overturn low fat diet guidelines in favor of diets lower in carbohydrates (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2472672/Is-high-fat-diet-GOOD-heart-Doctors-say-carbs-damaging-arteries.html). Unfortunately, it'll probably be some time until the USDA and AHA change their dietary suggestions.

I wouldn't worry about your dietary fats too much, it actually may be aiding in your weight loss efforts as it helps with satiety. There have been several studies looking at the effects of diets high in fat such as the keto diet, and they observed decreased total cholesterol, LDL, blood glucose and increased HDL (ex: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/). Hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns!
  • mrscoffield
    mrscoffield Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, I had been running until about 8 months ago. So I'm sort of getting back in the saddle with that. I feel good.
    (I do not have diabetes but other thyroid and adrenal issues).

I have also had thyroid issues for the past 10 years, I'm hypothyroid and was put on armour thyroid about a month ago. I don't feel hungry or even like I'm doing without, and don't feel like I have to ravenously seek out candy bars when my kids go to bed. I know research is starting to show otherwise, but I grew up in the generation that fat was the devil so I'm still nervous that this increased fat is going to clog my arteries and make me "fat".
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OP,

If you are looking for balanced meal selections, you should know the purpose of each macro in relation to the meal.

Protein, meat and bean sources, contain building materials that we need. Literally, we need it for our DNA and cells.

Fat is used in hormone creation, the nervous system, and vitamin absorption.

Carbohydrates come in two types: simple and complex. Simple is quickly digested (most fruits, candies, etc.), complex takes more time to be digested (whole grain foods, green leafy stuff, potatoes). These foods typically contain the most nutrition for you in the sense of vitamins and minerals, so they are incredibly important.

Instead of choosing "low carbohydrate" meal plans, go for "smart meals". Use MFP to figure out what has lots of calories in them and then find lower calorie alternatives. As an example, swapping mashed potatoes for broccoli offers better nutrition at significantly fewer calories. They are both carbohydrates, but one is more suitable for weight loss.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OP,[...]

Carbohydrates come in two types: simple and complex. Simple is quickly digested (most fruits, candies, etc.), complex takes more time to be digested (whole grain foods, green leafy stuff, potatoes). These foods typically contain the most nutrition for you in the sense of vitamins and minerals, so they are incredibly important.

Instead of choosing "low carbohydrate" meal plans, go for "smart meals". Use MFP to figure out what has lots of calories in them and then find lower calorie alternatives. As an example, swapping mashed potatoes for broccoli offers better nutrition at significantly fewer calories. They are both carbohydrates, but one is more suitable for weight loss.

This is the biggest LOL that I've read in this forum so far. You can't measure carbs using the simple/complex rule, this is like from the past, you need to check the GI of the foods, the GI is an estimation of how quick the sugar goes into your blood stream, which is what matter for insulin response and your statements are completely wrong.

Check any GI table and you will see that those healthy whole grains have higher GI than PURE SUGAR, in other words, your healthy whole wheat full of cereals will spike your insulin more an faster than eating a tablespoon of sugar. You start digesting those carbs while chewing thanks to the amylase in our saliva.

Recommending whole grains over fruits is the OP.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It would really help if we could see shat you are eating- can you change your diary settings to public?
  • mrscoffield
    mrscoffield Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It would really help if we could see shat you are eating- can you change your diary settings to public?

I updated it. Also, I'm not expecting this to be an overnight fix, I realize it takes time.

Thanks again for help.