Do I look like I've lost that much weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also, it is entirely possible that quite a bit of the fat you lost was in the invisible kind. The stuff that worms its way between your organs and makes for people who "Carry it well." Never thought that was a bad thing until I saw a scan comparison that displayed a person with fat all over the place, and then after mass loss. After that.. damn.. I don't want to wear it well, I don't want to "wear" it at all anymore, well, no more than is necessary for a healthy life. :)
  • ladyoflucky13
    ladyoflucky13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also, it is entirely possible that quite a bit of the fat you lost was in the invisible kind. The stuff that worms its way between your organs and makes for people who "Carry it well." Never thought that was a bad thing until I saw a scan comparison that displayed a person with fat all over the place, and then after mass loss. After that.. damn.. I don't want to wear it well, I don't want to "wear" it at all anymore, well, no more than is necessary for a healthy life. :)

I have definitely thought about that. Even though I am still quite heavy, I am sure I'm much healthier internally. I remember reading about how bad fatty livers are and how even morbidly obese people can fairly quickly improve it by entering a caloric deficit for a period of time. I certainly hope my liver and insides are looking hotter now. :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What about keeping to the lower reps/higher weight but trying different variations (maybe even dumbbell variations too) of the exercises to see if they might not aggravate you as much?

But then again, not sure what you mean by higher reps.

If you are sticking with 8-12 that could help with endurance while still focusing on hypertrophy?

I tried different things, but I felt like I was improving my strength best by putting the weight high to where I could do just about 3-4 reps (not super great form on some moves, but not awful either), then drop the weight 5-15lbs at a time depending on exercise and doing as many reps as possible at the new weight, and continuing that kind of process for about 4-5 sets (form getting better as the weight dropped). Generally, I didn't usually go over 8 reps for most exercises. I think I had seen this training referred to as a reverse pyramid at some point.

Edit: Of course, I suppose while my shoulders are healing I can aim for the 8-12 rep range with lower weight. I imagine I've definitely lost strength in the months I have only done cardio. It is probably going to be a little sad to see the lower weight when I lift, though.

That's a pretty cool method. Are you planning on following a program? Or did you follow a program before? Or just made one on your own?

I had looked up a lot of different methods and experimented until I found what I felt worked best for me. I never really felt like lifting 10-12 reps was really building the muscles the way I wanted (didn't really see big increases in the amount I could lift). By starting with high weight, low reps I felt like I was hitting that strength/bulk range while still dropping it down to where I could have good form and all of the assisting muscle groups would still get hit well. I didn't want to just always aim for the heavy weight, low rep either for fear of being like some of the guys I've seen at the gym using lots of momentum and having horrible form for all their sets because they go as heavy as possible the whole time.

*nods* Form is top priority.

In regards to reps - (and this is usually for the main lifts as accessory work can lead to the rep range being a bit wider/higher)

1-5 reps tends to focus on strength with a bit of hypertrophy.
    6-12 tends to focus on hypertrophy (which sounds like you might be aiming more for) with secondary focus on strength. Also, the higher you'd go in the rep range would also help with endurance.
    15+reps is cardio/endurance.

So sticking closer to the 6-8 rep range could be better for you while allowing you to do the lift weight you want while working on your body composition goals as well as with helping with endurance a bit.

Are you following a program that lays out the exercises? Bodybuilding.com has a great exercise database if you need to find variations on certain lifts that might be easier as you get back into things.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to put this link in here for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

It's to the Eat Train Progress group here on MFP. It's run by Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf. They are really helpful, knowledgeable people and if anything, the stickies they have are worth reading through even if you don't join the group.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    ETA: I just went back and reread your post and I wanted to add that I have also been losing sort of slowly since 2008 from a high weight of 307 (128 lb so far but it took me 4-5 years to lose the first 45 lb). So we have something a little bit in common there!! I also wanted to tell you that I wore the same clothes from 307 down to the 230s-240s before I finally saw a major change and HAD TO buy new clothes. And after that the changes came much more quickly with regard to clothing cuts, styles, and sizes. Now it's every 15 lb or so.

I wish you the best!!! Slow and steady wins the race :-)

Trying to bold for the first time. This is the sort of experience I was hoping to get some insight into. I definitely hope that the change in size will start happening quicker as I continue to lose weight. Thank you for sharing this. Congratulations on your progress. Hopefully, I'll be following you soon. :smile:
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to put this link in here for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

It's to the Eat Train Progress group here on MFP. It's run by Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf. They are really helpful, knowledgeable people and if anything, the stickies they have are worth reading through even if you don't join the group.

Thanks for the link and information. I will definitely take some time to peruse this.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress, OP.

Nearly everything I'd want to say has been said already, except...

...I really like your attitude to the feedback you've gotten in this thread. So many times, people get ultra-defensive when people offer opinions that may not be exactly what they wanted to hear. I don't have any studies to support this, but I have to believe that this kind of reasonableness and positive attitude will be remarkably valuable assets as you continue making progress. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    1-5 reps tends to focus on strength with a bit of hypertrophy.
    6-12 tends to focus on hypertrophy (which sounds like you might be aiming more for) with secondary focus on strength. Also, the higher you'd go in the rep range would also help with endurance.
    15+reps is cardio/endurance.

It has been a while since I actually looked up which reps do what, but this is why (when I originally planned it out and saw the numbers) I liked starting our with 3-4 reps and going up. It seemed like I hit both strength and hypertrophy as I went along. Although, I am making the assumption that you can hit both ranges and make progress on both. In reality, especially on a calorie deficit, I'm not sure how far my gains could have/can really go. I was only about two months into my reverse pyramid routine when I hurt my shoulders. I may have just been experiencing the "newbie gains" phenomenon.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I've lost over 50 pounds and am down a couple pants sizes... yet NO ONE outside my immediate family has noticed any change! I've also taken one picture a month, in the same clothes, same angle, etc., and I can't see a difference at all! (In the mirror, in profile, I can see a change.)

But!! That's not stopping me. I feel better, I have more energy, and I know it's just a matter of time before the changes start showing. I'm in this for the long haul, whether anyone ever notices or not! It used to be too daunting to think of this process lasting 2-3 years or more, but now... it doesn't matter. Tracking my food is my new normal. I've realized that basic math and science applies here: Eat fewer calories, lose weight.

Thanks to all of you. This thread has been encouraging.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I've lost over 50 pounds and am down a couple pants sizes... yet NO ONE outside my immediate family has noticed any change! I've also taken one picture a month, in the same clothes, same angle, etc., and I can't see a difference at all! (In the mirror, in profile, I can see a change.)

But!! That's not stopping me. I feel better, I have more energy, and I know it's just a matter of time before the changes start showing. I'm in this for the long haul, whether anyone ever notices or not! It used to be too daunting to think of this process lasting 2-3 years or more, but now... it doesn't matter. Tracking my food is my new normal. I've realized that basic math and science applies here: Eat fewer calories, lose weight.

Thanks to all of you. This thread has been encouraging.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely get the feeling that it takes a lot more pounds of loss when you are heavy to actually lose the dress sizes than when you get smaller. I am also not going to let it discourage me. I know I am getting healthier and there is nothing more important than that. I want a long, healthy life ahead of me and even if it takes another 5 years to get into the healthy weight range, it will be worth it for the rest of my life.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The thing is... take pictures of yourself in just a bra and panties, from the front, the sides, the back. You'll see more of a change that way.

When we wear our "fat clothes" in a picture, it just shows that it is too big. I can tell your shirt is ready to fall off you in the second picture. Go to the store and try on clothes, you might be surprised.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here is a picture comparing when I was about 340ish (as I was getting to my heaviest) to now that I'm about 245. To me it looks more like a 40lb weight loss than 100lb. What do you think?
    2en6y52.jpg

By chance did you take measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, arms? To me you can CERTAINLY tell a significant change in weight. If it's not convincing enough perhaps try incorporating measurements so that you can tack inches lost. I'm also a fellow BodyBugg user and LOVE it. Keep up the hard work, feel free to add me!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's hard to compare your body because the pics are taken at different angles. Try taking a pic with the same angle as your before shot. I can definitely see a difference in your face. Great job.

This. I also see a difference in your face, but given the angle and that the outfit itself is baggy... it's hard to see change.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 90lbs, but my sizes have gone from 28-30 (Lane Bryant sizes, even) to a 14-16w or most of the time just a regular 16. Part of the reason is probably that I'm shorter, so that loss shows more. But really, it's the weightlifting. When I was 240 I was a size 20-22 this time around, prior to lifting I was a size 24 at that weight.

If you can, maybe you could consult with someone in sports medicine? There are probably some workarounds with the issues that you are having, or ways to improve it. If they weren't caused by injuries, you may just need someone to work with you on form and progress slowly.

You've gotten some wonderful advice in this thread. I love your slow and steady approach and you have an amazing attitude.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    The thing is... take pictures of yourself in just a bra and panties, from the front, the sides, the back. You'll see more of a change that way.

When we wear our "fat clothes" in a picture, it just shows that it is too big. I can tell your shirt is ready to fall off you in the second picture. Go to the store and try on clothes, you might be surprised.

I do think I had (and still have, really) a habit of always trying to wear the most "slimming/flattering" types of clothes possible when I was heavy (darker colors, empire waist, etc.). That does probably cause the difference to show less. I suppose it also doesn't help that women's clothing sizes in general seem to vary pretty widely (I swear I can fit an XL to 2X top almost equally well depending on the brand, darn you vanity sizing). Also, I can see that the fabric of many of my clothes back then were getting pulled pretty tight across me as I put on the weight. So, even if they work on me now, they are definitely looser than they were. So, I am going to keep my head up and just patiently wait until I cross whatever threshold my body has where I will start seeing it more.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    By chance did you take measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, arms? To me you can CERTAINLY tell a significant change in weight. If it's not convincing enough perhaps try incorporating measurements so that you can tack inches lost. I'm also a fellow BodyBugg user and LOVE it. Keep up the hard work, feel free to add me!

I don't think I have the measurements from that far back. I have a couple over the last two years, though, and I do see the numbers going down on paper. I just wish I saw it in the mirror and my clothing size more. Yeah, I am loving the Bodybugg so far. I have had it just under a month but I am loving it. I realize it may not be 100% accurate, but it really, really helps me to be able to keep a consistent deficit between days of varying activity. I can burn an extra 1200 calories on a hard gym day and then be sedentary the rest of the day or I may have a very active day of cleaning/shopping/strolling with my husband/etc and burn 500-800 over sedentary without setting foot in the gym. Then there are those tricky combo days. I feel like it is working so much better to use this and base my eating on what I'm actually doing instead of setting a fixed number everyday. Although I try to be pretty relaxed and patient about my lifestyle change, I have had periods of driving myself a little nuts trying to guesstimate my burns and how to adjust my eating.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    I've lost about 90lbs, but my sizes have gone from 28-30 (Lane Bryant sizes, even) to a 14-16w or most of the time just a regular 16. Part of the reason is probably that I'm shorter, so that loss shows more. But really, it's the weightlifting. When I was 240 I was a size 20-22 this time around, prior to lifting I was a size 24 at that weight.

Wow. That is a great personal testimonial! It seems hard to imagine weight training can make that big a difference, but that seems to be what people are experiencing. I am definitely going to have to start hitting the weights again. This is just the motivation I needed. Now I just have to figure out the weights vs cardio schedule and how I'm going to time everything.
  • ladyoflucky13
    Options
    I actually just looked into my computer based calorie program I have used for a couple years and went through my notes. It seems that I have made a change in inches from the oldest measurements I can find. I wish I had measured myself at my heaviest, but I don't seem to currently have that data available. Perhaps I can dig around and see if I ever wrote it in a notebook or something. I will definitely try to document measurements and get better pictures in the future so I can have something better to compare when I lose even more weight.

11/21/12 06/08/14
    Weight: 294lbs 250lbs
    Bust: 50.5" 45.5"
    Waist (empire under bust): 45" 40"
    Waist/hips (belly button level): 57" 50.5"
    Bum: 54.5" 50.5"
    Thigh: 34" 29"/30"
    Calf: 20"/20.5" 18"/18.5"
    Upper Arm: 18.25"/19.25" 16"/16.5"

Edit: I am not sure how to make the spacing show when it posts....it smooshes everything together instead of keeping it spaced out like I see it when I am writing the post.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think the pic on the right just isn't a very good picture of you. When I look at your profile pic compared to the 2 pics you posted in this thread the loss is OBVIOUS.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You lost your double chin! Way to go. The change is DEFINITELY visible. They say slow progress is the best progress. I know for me when I started working with a trainer a few days a week lifting weights my clothes really started getting looser. This in spite of the fact that the scale wasn't showing a bunch of weight loss ( the scale is NOT my friend, lol). Over 100 pounds lost is extremely commendable. Your weight loss has been phenomenal. Keep up the effort and even more results will follow.