Someone explain the science to me...

Options
....in terms I can understand. Please!

I'm exausted and ravenous! I'm doing TurboFire (week 5) and I'm finally not eating like a moron and the weight is starting to come off. Yesterday I weighed 126.4lbs...woo hoo! I ate all my exercise calories and I was STILL hugely hungry so I ate a couple slices of cinnamon raising bread to fill me up. I went over my goal by like 400cal but I didn't feel guilty because I was HUNGRY. This morning, I weigh in at 127.6lbs (I was stuck at 130 for the longest time). Wtf? I gain a pound in one day for listening to my body? I also drank A LOT of water, like always. This morning, my body is just EXAUSTED and I now I need to really push myself through.

Now, I thought that in order to GAIN one pound, you needed to consume 3500 calories more than you burn. Am I wrong? Someone help me understand.

I'm feeling bummed because I was really looking forward to a cheat meal tonight at a work function. I worked darn hard for it and now I don't feel like I earned it because I will just gain MORE.

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert by any means but the things that fill you up most are fiber and protein. Also eating sugary foods will create a hungry feeling because more insulin is released - there was probably a fair amount in your cinnamon bread. If you put peanut butter on it, you add protein which helps regulate the sugar effect.

I peeked at your profile to see if your diary is open but its not so not sure what else you ate. But I noticed you also like scrapbooking - so do I!

Anyways I have read in a few places lately that to lose weight you should aim for the number of protein grams (from lean sources) of your ideal weight - so I am aiming for 130 which is hard. I am getting close to 100 each day though.
  • sarah2880
    Options
    the pound you gained was probably water weight. In a day your body can differ on weight up to 2 lbs simply because of water in your body. The weight will probably come right back off.. Keep an eye on your sodium intake, because sodium will make you retain water.
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    it could just be bloating or water weight, especially since you ate quite a "heavy" food at night.
    don't worry about it, i can gain 5lb after a meal but it soon drops off again.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as water weight, if your muscles are feeling a little sore from working out you will retain water. It helps repair them. Chalean also says that the first few weeks of any new workout you can not lose, maybe even gain a little until your body adjusts!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Its all about what kinds of food you are eating and being consitant with. ALso eating enough most of your calories earlier in the day like 3/4 of them before dinner. Water retention could be going on as well. Remember its not just about cutting back but cutting things out and replacing them with good healthy filling satisfing foods! Here is an article it may help with the science and math of it all

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) Calculator
    By Dennis Thompson Jr.

Medically reviewed by Cynthia Haines, MD You burn most of your daily calories with little to no conscious effort. Whether you're talking on the phone, working at a keyboard, or just watching television, your body is burning calories to keep your heart pumping, your lungs expanding and contracting, and your organs functioning. The calories used to maintain these basic bodily functions add up to your basal metabolic rate, or BMR. Basal essentially means base — think of it as the number of calories that are just enough to cover all your body’s bases.

"These are what I call your couch-potato calories," says dietitian Sari Greaves, RD, CDN, of Step Ahead Weight Loss Center in Bedminster, N.J,. and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "It amounts to 60 to 75 percent of the total calories you use daily, and there's no physical activity required for this."

In other words, this is what you burn without lifting a finger. That’s why BMR is also is called the resting metabolic rate, or RMR, by some.

Knowing your BMR can help you create a more effective strategy for weight loss, allowing you to better keep your calorie count on track and better understand the effect exercise will have on your waistline.

Calculating Your BMR

The easiest way to measure your BMR is to use an online calculator, like the one at My Calorie Counter. This calculator factors in your height, weight, gender, and age, and activity level, then assesses how many calories you need to eat daily just to maintain your current weight.
    You can do the math yourself, using the appropriate equation:

• If you’re a man, your BMR is equal to: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years). For example, if you’re 170 pounds, 5’11”, and 43, your BMR is 66 + (6.23 x 170) + (12.7 x 71) – (6.8 x 43) = 1734.4 calories.
    • If you’re a woman, your BMR is equal to: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years). For example, if you’re 130 pounds, 5’3”, and 36, your BMR is 665 + (4.35 x 130) + (4.7 x 63) – (4.7 x 36) = 1357.4 calories.

Next figure out your total daily calorie requirement by multiplying your BMR by your level of activity:
    • If you rarely exercise, multiply your BMR by 1.2.
    • If you exercise on 1 to 3 days per week, doing light activity, multiply your BMR by 1.375.
    • If you exercise on 3 to 5 days per week, doing moderate activity, multiply your BMR by 1.55.
    • If you exercise 6 to 7 days per week, doing vigorous activity, multiply your BMR by 1.725.
    • If you exercise every day and have a physical job or if you often exercise twice a day, multiply your BMR by 1.9.

If the man in the example exercises 3 days a week, doing moderate activity, his daily caloric requirement is 1734.4 x 1.55, or 2688.3 calories.

If the woman in the example exercises 6 days a week, her daily caloric requirement is 1357.4 x 1.725, or 2342.5 calories.

This calculation gives you the number of calories you burn in one day at your current level of activity; in other words, this is the number of calories it takes to stay at the weight you are if you don’t change anything.

Applying Your BMR Calculation to Weight Loss

Once you know your BMR and the number of calories you burn for your activity level, you can improve your weight-loss efforts by setting a lower daily calorie-intake limit and crafting a plan for increasing your physical activity:

Set your daily calorie limit. To lose weight, you need to reduce your caloric intake below your total daily calorie requirement indicated by your BMR + activity level. Putting yourself in a 500-calorie deficit every day should result in the loss of one pound per week (since there are 3,500 calories in a pound), Greaves says.

Adjust your exercise output. Our BMR calculator asks you for your level of physical activity for a very good reason. You can influence your BMR through exercise, spurring your body to burn more calories even after you’ve finished and are just lounging about.

• Aerobic exercise provides a temporary boost to your BMR, an effect sometimes referred to as after-burn or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, says Noelle Lusardi, a certified personal fitness trainer who also works at the Step Ahead Weight Loss Center in Bedminster, N.J. Your BMR will return back to its normal level anywhere between 15 minutes and 48 hours.

• Strength training provides a more-lasting boost to BMR by altering your body's composition. Muscle at rest burns more calories than fat at rest. That's why men enjoy a naturally higher BMR than women, as they tend to have more muscle mass, Greaves explains.

• If you cut calories and increase your BMR by exercising, you’ll see results even faster. Increase the amount of calories you burn by 250 each day, and you’ll lose a half-pound more on top of the calorie cuts made in your diet. You could exercise longer or you could increase the intensity of your workouts to burn more calories — either way will increase the calorie deficit.

The advantage of knowing your BMR is that you can learn the number of calories you need to consume and expend to meet your personal goal for weight loss.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well done on your hard work so far.

You didn't gain 1lb over night. As someone rightly commented your weight fluctuates and even within the course of the same day, if you weighed yourself at different times of the day you'd get a different reading each time. Try not to focus so much on 'weight' but instead measure yourself, belly button, waist, thighs arms etc. This is probably a better way to monitor your progress.

I know it can be disheartening but please don't let the number on the scale dictate your mood. Neither should you let it be the sole measure of your success.

Keep up all the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • rfalce
    rfalce Posts: 11
    Options
    It can be really frustrating but don't let that number change what you are doing. In November I increased my cardio to 90 minutes and still ate 1200 calories a day. The next day I had gained 1.5 pounds. I was angry and defeated and then the holidays rolled around. I ended up not going to the gym for about 6 weeks because of a crazy holiday retail work schedule and kids home from school. When I did get back on on the scale I had gained 3 pounds, less than what I had lost but a gain none the less. If I would have just kept at it I would be further along. Just know that if you stay on track you will get there. Hang in there!!!
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'd try not weighing yourself every day? I could sneeze and lose a pound ...... or need a wee and gain a pound!!! Yesterdays exercise won't mean you lose a pound overnight.

Your bodyweight will fluctuate day to day based on a huge number of factors from water to muscle gain to your time of the month. Weighing yourself isn't the best method of tracking change anyway. You are working out hard so I think you are strenthening and gaining muscle mass. therefore you look like your losing weight slowly but your body is changing shape. You probably won't notice it because you analyse it everyday but you will be changing shape, and toning and gaining flexibility.

Keep doing what your doing.

And although none of us women will ever be able to stay off the scales, resist it to just once a week for your own sanity.
  • jptmemphis
    jptmemphis Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you weigh in everyday you will drive yourself crazy. It's a marathon not a sprint. Log your food everyday. Do some exercise everyday. Find a few stick to your ribs foods that you like and the meet you goals and eat those frequently.

My stick to you ribs food is Oatmeal (not instant). The package calls for 1/2 cup oatmeal in 1 cup of water, cook for a few minutes. I use 1/2 oatmeal and 3 cups of water. I simmer for 15 minutes. It thickens up, I add Sweet n Low and enjoy a big breakfast that sticks to my ribs for 150 calories. I have a Clementine Orange 2 hours later.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As said above, Its probably water weight from sore muscles. But definitely don't reach for the bread next time you are hungry. I, too have been experiences extra hungriness with working out, but I fight through it or I choose a few ounces of protein or nuts. or peanut butter. Maybe you could consider a protein shake/drink to have after a workout?
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I just tried to work out and it totally wasn't happening. Chalene says you give her 5 minutes of your time it will help you get going but after 10 I was still beat and couldn't focus on the moves. I am going to focus on veggies and protein today and take a walk at lunch.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!