At what point did people notice your weight loss?

Options
Anyoen who has read my previous posts knows I don't have the most supportive friends. But I have lost 31 pounds wouldn't you think people might mention it ?I had always been thin up until 2 years ago so my husband says they don't want to say anything(he has even offered to make me a t shirt that says" i've lost over 30 pounds . Say something nice about it!"
At what point did people start commenting about your weight loss?

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    After about 10 pounds and big time when I hit 30 pounds. But I only needed to lose 40.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Two people noticed at 20 out of 90 and one more at 30. But then I wear scrubs a lot, they hide things pretty well.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi

after around 12 pounds, but not for the weight loss, this was for the change of my skin in my face.

After around 15 kg (round 32 pound) people started to tell me.

But I have much to lose, so that's why it probably took a while.
    I also think, some people just don't mention it, but still would recognise. :-)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love the shirt idea BTW.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    honestly I notice fat loss when I was losing no scale weight and master body recomp.
  • sammer825
    sammer825 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i am down 12 lbs and one person told my mom "she looks like she lost some weight" but other than that no one has said much. my sister tells me once in a while i look "skinny" haha but that might depend on my outfit. I can see it in my face but i dont think anyone else really notices. awe well im not doing it for them, im doing it for me...and to look smokin in my bikini ;)
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My parents chimed in at 37 pounds lost (so, fairly recently!). My fiance tells me constantly that there's noticeably less of my body around. Aside from that, no one's said anything yet, though I expect when I see some close friends in August for the first time since February, they may notice a difference. =)
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My friends are really sensitive about their weight so I wait until it's either really substantial or they are talking to me about their diet/weightloss plan. One time I said "hey, you look awesome - did you lose some weight?" and they got this truly horrified look io0n their face and were like, "No....should I?" After that, I just stopped mentioning it unless they told me they were actively trying to lose. I hate it when people spin compliments into insults, but they're friends - gotta love 'em.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In my experience, a lot of people just don't talk about your weight either way. If you look on this site there are numerous threads where people are complaining of exactly the opposite...they don't want people to say anything because they can't take a compliment. They interpret, "hey...you look great, have you lost some weight?" as "wow...you looked like **** before when you were a big fat *kitten*." People know this can be interpreted different ways so basically a lot of people just don't talk about it ever.

People tended to comment a lot more on my fitness than on my actual weight loss when I was losing...even though it is very obvious that I lost a lot of weight and look completely different than I did a couple of years ago. The only people to comment directly on my actual weight loss were family members and very close friends and they didn't do so until I lost about 20 of my 40 total pounds.

Ultimately you have to do this for yourself...people tend to expect all kinds of atta boys and good jobs and wows, but in my experience that just doesn't really happen.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone . Glad to know it isn't just me and cwolf you're right it is for me.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with wolfman, some people may not want to say anything just in case you dont take it well because some people really don't. I got one comment from someone who wasn't from mexico (mexicans tend to not shy away from comments about peoples appearance the way people from many other countries seem to) after I lost 20lbs. No one said anything about the next 10, or the last 7lbs I've lost recently. At my height, 4ft11, this is really a huge amount of weight and still only my mexican family, besides the one person, has said anything. Even my fiance doesn't say much about it unless pressed haha.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Wolfman is right.

Took about 25-30 lbs and I'm fairly short so that was about size 16/18 to size 14. Colleagues noticed it first in my face, but didn't say a whole lot.

Now, I can't shut them up. I work with a bunch of engineers with no internal controls on what they "should" or "shouldn't" say (yup, I had that "when are you due?" question more than once). I feel like going around with a post-it on my forehead with "Yes, I've lost weight. No, I'm not ill. Yes, I eat plenty of food. I've done it by eating less and moving more. If you have questions, drop me an email." on it. Bless 'em.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    20kg loss, from 94 to 74 is when I got comments.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I think it depends on where you lose it first. No-one noticed for a long while except people I hadn't seen and even then it was "did you cut your hair"

Now-they won't shut up and some are nearing negative. Including-did you get a tapeworm as I heard this week.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to double back on this and say 34 pounds before anyone started saying anything. You all were exactly right and on target . I am amazed of course that no one says anything before this but I guess we all fluctuate 10 here or there in a lifetime. 34 pounds?!?!? do you think people have any idea how hard it is too lose 34 pounds?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have only had one person say something and it was my guy's dad. I don't think he even would have said anything if he hadn't been told I was losing anything. People always tell you they can see it in your face. I am not trying lose weight in my face lol. But that is one of the first places people seem to notice it most.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have only had one person say something and it was my guy's dad. I don't think he even would have said anything if he hadn't been told I was losing anything. People always tell you they can see it in your face. I am not trying lose weight in my face lol. But that is one of the first places people seem to notice it most.

It is the same in journey to ripped bod and stronger than ever.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I lost 12 lbs (out of 70) a friend of mine at work said "you've lost weight." I wasn't actively trying to lose weight but had just stopped eating fries for about a month and hadn't weighed myself. I told her it was just because I wasn't wearing my usual bulky work sweater. She said no, you should weigh yourself. And she was right, I had lost 12 lbs and had no idea. She did that to me again about a month later when I still wasn't weighing myself. I had lost 25 lbs. I think she was a witch and every time she said that some fat dropped off me somewhere. I really miss her since she doesn't work here anymore. :(
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I think people really started noticing after around 30-40 lbs. I started noticing after about 60-70 lbs when I could wear things that I couldn't dream of fitting in before and started seeing changes/tone in my legs and arms. Still a long way to go, but seeing the changes *myself* is more motivating than other people seeing it.
  • anna_toffee
    anna_toffee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    big well done on your loss of 34lbs! i hope you feel as accomplished as you should (:

i'm taller than most girls around me, so people notice my weight-loss even though i've only really lost 10lbs.

i go to university though, and tend to lose weight at summer - so last summer i went down from 13st to 12st, and this summer from 11st 10lbs to 10st 13lbs. because of this my friends always notice, cause i'm away from them.

don't feel bad if your friends haven't noticed - chances are, if you're around them a lot, they'll not notice a gradual change. rest assured though, it'll hit them soon - it's like you said, you don't lose 34lbs easily!