Exercise/diet plan for a very obese person?

Options
Hello everyone. I thought I'd give this site a try. I am severely obese woman, as is everyone in my entire family going back at least 4 generations. I want to break the cycle and get myself healthy and fit but don't even know where to start.

I have been going to the gym every day this week, but I'm not sure how much to do. I want to lose 100 pounds but to be healthy about it. I get bad cramps in my legs if I walk more than 10 minutes, so I need to know how to avoid that. I'm trying to better myself, so please no one be mean.

What kind of exercises should I do and for how long, how many reps, etc? Also, what is a good long-term diet plan? Could someone give me an example of a few days of what to eat and the amounts? I love vegetables (except mushrooms) but I have a feeling that I'm not getting the right portions of everything. I've cut out anything pre-packaged (except for ceral, i love cereal lol) out of my diet already.

Right now because I don't know what I'm doing, I've been spending 20-30 minutes on the treadmill at a fast walk (ignoring the cramps I get), 15 minutes on weights, 20 minutes on bike. Keep in mind that I'm very big and in horrible shape.

I'm really hoping someone can help me get started, because I really want to succeed at this.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and subtract 500-1000 calories from that. That is how many calories you should eat every day. Try not to exceed, but don't eat significantly less either. You need those calories, and you will lose weight by following that plan.

Nobody should tell you what to eat, but this can be a place to start: Divide your calories into five meals a day. No eating inbetween meals. Steer away from readymeals, make your own food. Buy a kitchen scale. Weigh everything you eat. Drink 8 glasses (250 ml each) of water every day. Don't drink sweetened coffee, tea, soda or fruit juice. Eat 3 pieces (50-100 grams) of fruit and at least three sorts of vegetables every day. Eat 10-20 grams of nuts (with no additives except salt) every day.

For breakfast: Mix 40 grams of oatmeal with 100 grams of milk and 100 grams of water. Cook it for 2x2 minutes in microwave, or on stove. Add 1 teaspoon of real butter. Eat one fruit and one vegetable.

For dinner: Bake, broil, boil or grill a piece (100-150 grams) of meat or fish. Real meat, not meatloaf or similar. No deep frying. Add some vegetables (100-150 grams), raw or cooked. And boil 50 grams of rice or pasta (uncooked weight) or 200-250 grams of potato or sweet potato.

Figure out the three other meals for yourself :smile:

Walk or bike for 10 minutes at a time. Stop before you cramp.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to get started. Everyone has to start somewhere and it will get easier over time. Try adding an extra minute or so each week to gradually add up the distance. When you're ready, increase the speed and/or incline to increase intensity.

Strength training is great to start at any size - it will preserve muscle while you lose weight and has a host of other health benefits. It may slow scale weight loss initially but try not to dwell on this too much, it'll most likely be water weight as your body adjusts to a new exercise regime. It doesn't mean you are not still losing fat.

In terms of diet, set your MFP account to lose 1lb per week. This doesn't sound like much but losing slow and steady will more likely to lead to permanent weight loss. Eat back your exercise calories and you should have a sensible calorie goal that doesn't leave you feeling deprived.

Aim to meet your protein, fat, fibre and carbohydrate goals, but allow yourself to eat whatever foods you enjoy. Weigh, measure and log everything you eat and drink.

And finally, for more detailed information, this post is well worth a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SynDiet13
    SynDiet13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Can you get to a pool.???? If you don't have one can you join a gym that has one aqua workouts are great no impact on your joints!! So size does not matter!!! best wishes Take a aqua class if thy have if not just do kicks & punches for about 20 & see if that helps get you started........
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The gym I joined has a trainer for free and is a great help, ask where you go and see if there is one available where you go. This journey may be very hard at times but with all the help from people on this site I know you will make it!
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the pool suggestion. If you can get to a pool, it's a wonderful way to start getting in shape. Some folks really like aqua-aerobics, others like pool lap walking, and some like swimming laps. Personally, I love swimming laps. If you're just starting out, you can grab a kickboard, lay in the water holding the kickboard in front of you, and then kick your legs to propel you forward. You can get a good workout doing that, and the water is kinder to joints than treadmills -- especially if you're starting out. http://youtu.be/hyV_kyKzSzU may give you an idea of how to do that.

Also, track everything you eat. EVERYTHING. Be honest. And there's some good reading and advice above. I'm working on losing over 100 lbs. It's not easy. Friend me if you want -- we can be on this journey together! I'm walking and swimming to get in shape -- and wearing a FitBit to keep me focused on activity. GOOD LUCK!
  • bcross1977
    Options
    Hey! Check out the book Eat to Live by Dr Joel Furhman.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    what Gayle said .. a swimming pool is really super helpful and less stress on the joints . When I was over 300lbs I joined a gym that had a swimming pool in it . I took their aqua aerobics class . It was brutal but less stress on the joints.. I also walked as far as I could and sometimes that meant five or ten minutes. It takes baby steps . when you first start but I can assure you that if you keep it up you will find yourself doing some crazy miraculous things down the road .. ten minutes is ten more minutes you never did before.. keep doing ten minutes till your body tells you that you are ready for more
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone has suggested is all great advice.

I especially agree with seeking help from a trainer in regards to exercise. Not only will they help with what exercises to do but the will show you the correct way to do it to prevent injuries. Some trainers will also help with diet advice.

Good luck, you'll do great. Patience and persistence.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller potions of your normal food weigh and measure everything and walk. Walk a bit further every week and then when your fitness improves then consider other exercises. There is no need to over complicate it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I had over 100 pounds to lose. I listened to the people on MFP and I'm almost at my goal. This is what I learned and what worked and is still working for me. The links in the above posts are also very important to getting started on the right foot.

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    when I started I changed my eating habits. then I had a heart issue and ended up in the hospital. the cardiologist told me to start walking 10 minutes 3 times a day. so I did that then about a month later he said I could increase the amount of time that I walk for at 5 minute intervals, and I could start using exercise bike and elliptical and the weight bench that family members gave me after I started losing the weight. you might want to check with your doctor and see what they say about your diet and exercise plan.
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well if you are doing that much , that's pretty astounding! You may want to just do 20 min on bike or treadmill 5 days week til you get used to working out. Cutting out the processed foods will truly help. I gave up most meat and dairy except yogurt and I am feeling a lot better. Good luck and friend me if u like....you look young from your photo.
  • sugar297
    sugar297 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Netta gave good advice and she experienced it
  • andyzzz88
    andyzzz88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start with walking walk everywhere park your car far away at the mall. Walk around your neighborhood. Get out of your house. To many temptations there. Drink a lot of water. Seltzer instead of soda. Just don't overdue it with exercise when first starting go with low impact exercises you don't want to get hurt or get real sore then get discouraged. Good luck.
  • Wolfmother61
    Wolfmother61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi

When I started out I could barely walk anywhere without pain or shortness of breath. Climbing the three flights of stairs to get to my condo's front door just killed me and once in I would not come out again till the next day since I did not want to do the stairs again. I started out slowly...just a short walk around the block maybe 15 min at most and if that was too much that day I would cut it back. As the pounds started coming off things got easier (mostly without my really noticing until I look back at it). Now I walk over the hills and vast tundra of the Arctic with little problem (still some pain on some days but getting better). I can now walk for hours at a time if I have the time to do so. Mind you I walk at my own pace and do what my body tells me it can do. I still have a long way to go and maybe I will work up to more strenuous exercise but for now I just keep going.

Listen to your body and how you feel...if you can do more then do it.

Debbie
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving great advice. I started out with 139 to lose and, as you can see from my ticker, I have quite a way to go. The one thing I have learned is to listen to my body. When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm bored, I drink water. I don't stop myself from indulging sometimes because I know that limiting the types of food that I eat will ruin me. If you have the fortitude to "eat clean" (by any definition), then good on you; if not, don't fret.

Try swimming, which is much easier on your body. Challenge yourself by slowly increasing your exercise intensity/duration. I began by exercising 30 minutes every week and am now exercising 5-6 hours every week. My goals have changed and I've discovered activities that I love (like running!). If it hurts to do something, modify your expectations.

Most of all, remember why you're doing this. You've made a great first step!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.

This, right here, is great advice. Keep it simple. Simple does not mean it will be easy, but the more you complicate it the harder it will be to adhere.

Edited to add: When I feel discouraged, I go into the success stories threads. Reading someones story, whether they lost 5 pounds or 312 pounds (Ed!) is inspirational.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    activity you are doing sounds like a great start. plan on upping it gradually when you feel you aren't getting your sweat on as much of if you feel able to. THe most important thing to remember is to weigh and measure your portions accurately and to log every single thing you put into your mouth. I suggest to everyone to keep a written journal/diary that you can write in what you eat and do and feel each day. It helps me. I am on day 315 so far. I log into mfp AND I write in my journal all through the day. Say to yourself when you feel challenged "just for today" Don't get too caught up in worrying about micros and macros and carbs, blah blah, etc et. Just start with small changes in the choices you make each time you eat or drink or feel lazy or bored. Its all about the many many choices we make throughout this journey that will lead up to success and a lifestyle change. Lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym. Paying attention is what is going to help you. Its when we stopped paying attention to what we ate and what we weighed and what we didn or didn't do is what got us in this boat in the first place. Yay for you for taking your life in your own hands. I started with journaling what I ate, focusing on counting the calories for the food I ate, taking small walks and going swimming. Slowly but surely as the weeks and months have gone by I have added in new things like foods or meals or activities. Don't look at this like a diet and deprivation but instead as an opportunity to ADD in new foods or activities. Get the family involved. Try new recipes or try a walk after dinner or a trip to the pool or beach or just make your daily chores of cleaning into a workout. You can do it. Good luck. and don't forget to celebrate all those non scale and scale victories along the way.