lifting really hurts!! only on 15KG too!!

Options
XLMACX
XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
Hey,

I know people will think im totally week and rubbish..but I don’t care everyone has to start somewere! I bought a barbell to do my squatts at home every night as I have done these a few times at the gym in the past.

The weight im lifting at the moment is 10kg and 5gk bar but I really struggle with it I did 5 set of 10 reps and honestly towards the end I was going dizzy and it was really tough!!
Just wondering is this normal am I pushing myself to hard or not enough any tips??

I’ am a very active but more cardio so this is all new to me :/ I cant go lower on my weights as I only bought a barbell which ranges from 15KG to 30KG I don’t understand why im finding it so hard because I have lifted at this weight at the gym in body pump class and was ok but that was around 2months ago.

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing 50 reps? If you're trying to get stronger, pick a weight you can squat 4-7 reps. If you want to build muscle, pick a weight you can squat about 10-12 reps. Doing so many reps is just building muscle endurance, which is fine if that's your goal, but it won't do much to make you gain strength or build muscle.

Everybody starts somewhere, so don't worry it 15kg is all you can do. I'd cut the number of reps and sets. You shouldn't be getting dizzy. Feeling a muscle burn is OK, but outright pain is a sign that something's wrong. Good luck!
  • XLMACX
    Options
    my main aim is to tone and change body shape, maybe i should cut my reps down i'am going really deep with my squat so as long as im doing it right i suppose it dont matter how many reps im doing, thanks .x
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I just started also so I could totally be off the mark here but I am aiming for lower reps like 10-15 and as heavy as possible I started with 10lbs on each side and slowly working my way up I do 10-15 then take a break and do some more until I feel I cannot do anymore. I have not had outright pain but soreness yes of course. When I first started the whole first week I was in agony from soreness lol :) Now into my 3rd week I am sore but not like the start :)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When you say tone and change body shape I will assume you mean add muscle. In that case something like:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you want to get stronger, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, NROL or the many others talked about here.

Most people argue that as a beginner it is better to get stronger first, it gives you a base to work with.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if it hurts, like full out pain...you're doing something wrong. Either you're lifting to much, bad form or to many reps. I do 3 sets of 10, unless I'm deadlifting, and I go until I power out, which is about 5 lifts. I do New Rules of Lifting, and had absolutely no shame in the fact that I was only deadlifting the barbell when I started. Youtube some videos to double check your form, drop your sets and read all you can on bodybuilding.com. You aren't going to bulk, you're going to get stronger, so don't let bb.com scare you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to what your body can do - no shame in it being a smaller figure than others.
    I would go for 3 or 5 sets of 5 personally.

If that's still causing problems, I'd start lower weight too - ie just the bar.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When you say tone and change body shape I will assume you mean add muscle. In that case something like:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you want to get stronger, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, NROL or the many others talked about here.

Most people argue that as a beginner it is better to get stronger first, it gives you a base to work with.

as a beginner, gaining strength will result in the fastest muscle growth/toning... so starting strength based programs will always win.

As for "toning" vs "big muscles", it all depends on your diet.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing 50 reps? If you're trying to get stronger, pick a weight you can squat 4-7 reps. If you want to build muscle, pick a weight you can squat about 10-12 reps. Doing so many reps is just building muscle endurance, which is fine if that's your goal, but it won't do much to make you gain strength or build muscle.

if she isnt used to the movement then it's beneficial to do lots of reps with low weights. it makes no sense to work on getting stronger without first having proper form because the more weight to do, the more likely you are to get injured when you dont have good form. it's best to have the form down BEFORE looking to increase weights. practicing movements with good form over and over is a good way to make sure it becomes a habit, this is especially true if you play on working with the more technical olympic lifts. there's plenty of time to increase weight and get stronger, getting started should be about learning the proper form and technique.

in any case, OP hasnt told us what hurts and what type of pain there is. OP maybe you can post a video of your squat and some people might be able to see what's going on
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere - do 17.5 next time and you'll probably be equally knackered BUT you'll be stronger. Just keep adding the weight - if it's hard, you're doing it right :)

And work in whatever rep range you like. My understanding is, 1 - 6 for strength, 6 - 12 for hypertrophy and strength and 12 + for endurance.

ETA: don't use the form you used while doing body pump - google someone like mark rippetoe for good tips on form so you can safely go heavier.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump for future info
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    5 sets of ten reps each? why are you doing so much cardio?
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If it were me and I felt dizzy and unstable doing an exercise, i'd stop immediately. Where does it hurt? Is it in the groin area, glutes, etc? Groin pain may be hip flexors that aren't being flexed enough. Remedy - inner thigh/groin stretches, air squats, every 10 air squats hold in the down position for a few seconds, breathe, relax, let the hip flexor stretch...then do another set. I'd really concentrate on getting my butt "out there" as if i'm sitting in a chair, head up and chest out. Form is key to successful squatting. Foam roller is also good for stretching as well....there are loads of stretches on youtube.

Good luck and hope your feeling better, have fun and stay safe getting your squat booty going on!! :smile:
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned this but , if you are getting dizzy during exercise it may be that you are not fueling properly. Are you eating enough? Also like everyone else said you probably don't need to do such high reps.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Re: Dizziness (other advice so far is good, but I hadn't in particular seen this item addressed)

Are you breathing during your set? When squatting you should be inhaling as your body lowers, and exhaling as you push upwards. If you're going up and down so fast that that scheme makes you pant, slow down a tad.
  • XLMACX
    Options
    Thanks for all replies really appreciated, it's my inner thighs and backs of legs under my bum that REALLY hurts it's feels rally stiff and just tents, I have watched videos on YouTube on how to performed a barbell squat so I know I'm doing it right I do a really deep squat with the bar too,

As for going dizzy I have hpjust thought this May be due to my low blood pressure?
    how often can I do my squats ? I think I may just starts with 2 sets of 10 to start with, do I have rest days in-between, I do cardio 4-5x a week so when should I fit my weights in, my body just feels really tight and tense lately x
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies really appreciated, it's my inner thighs and backs of legs under my bum that REALLY hurts it's feels rally stiff and just tents, I have watched videos on YouTube on how to performed a barbell squat so I know I'm doing it right I do a really deep squat with the bar too,

As for going dizzy I have hpjust thought this May be due to my low blood pressure?
    how often can I do my squats ? I think I may just starts with 2 sets of 10 to start with, do I have rest days in-between, I do cardio 4-5x a week so when should I fit my weights in, my body just feels really tight and tense lately x

Have a day inbetween lifting days. Sounds like DOMS, there's lots of things you can do if you're stiff and sore. Cardio is a great idea inbetween lift days, but don't push it. Walk, don't do full out marathons, yoga is amazing after lift days, light bike riding, etc. I only lift 2 days a week, that leaves me plenty of time for cardio and yoga. Even swimming helps. Good Luck! you're doing awesome.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    personally i don't feel that 10 reps a set is cardio lol. if your trying to build/keep muscle mass, thats a good number of reps.

I picked up on the fact that you said 'every night'. not sure if anyone mentioned it but you will want at least a day off in between.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts 5X5. My squats are goblet squats with a dumbell that is about 19 kgs. I only do 25 total. By the 25th one my legs are burning and I have to push myself to return to upright position. I couldnt imagine doing 50 of those I would be on the floor!
    As for my routine I do cardio everyday. 15 min warmup before lifting M-W-F then an hour walking cool down to relieve stiffness. T-Th I do about 8 miles for cardio. This works for me its just a suggestion.