Is it okay to nap in the afternoons?

Options
I have a habit of napping in the afternoons. Is it bad? What makes me wonder this is, I don't get any exercise. I manage my weight with my food habits and I don't really workout. I stay at home most of the time. Is it bad to sleep during daytime? Thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What do you call bad? Health wise not really. Psychologically though your a 21 year old young woman who stays at home most of the time and naps in the afternoons. Get outside walk see the world meet people and live. You have one life so use it well
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 with a terrible two year at home. I sometimes nap with my daughter to get her down.*** I have PCOS so if I consume too many carbs early in the day...I go down fast.
    A short nap can be very refreshing but if your taking long ones (Like 3 hours or multiple cat naps) I would look into it. Can be a sign of depression wanting to sleep the day away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lucky you with nothing to do but nap on an afernoon!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Its not 'bad' whatever that means, but you are missing out and without being rude it sounds pretty lazy. Unless you're missing out on sleep during the night, why would you want to sleep the day away too? You're young, go out and enjoy life!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I love an afternoon nap. Sadly at work it would be frowned upon and considered 'bad' but I'll often have a power nap on the weekend, especially if I'm having a late night.

If you find yourself needing to nap very regularly it might be worth considering if there are specific causes - e.g. do you get enough sleep at night? Tiredness could also be a sign of anaemia or B12 deficiency so it may be worth having these things checked out but if you are otherwise healthy I can't see that it's a problem.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with naps, I think they are one of life's free pleasures. I do agree with the OP though if you are sleeping well at night and still want to sleep a lot during the day you should talk to your doc about it, good luck!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I wish I could nap in the afternoon. Mmmmmmmmmm, sleep.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think afternoon naps are bad, healthy people sleeping in the night time should not need to have a nap. If you have a kid keeping you up at night then I understand. I think your body would be better served with a good 7 hour continuous sleep and then followed by an active day.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    some bodybuilders take a power nap in the afternoon. i can't figure out why some people feel that naps are a bad thing - it's always a good idea to sleep when you're tired. it makes it easier to work out more and to avoid unexpected snacking.

but you sound depressed, and i'm thinking that having a nap followed by a 20 minute walk when you get up would help you even more.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No way, naps are awesome!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    According to your profile and post on your other thread, you have depression, take meds for that, and are new to veganism.

All of these things can be problematic, and when you add your sedentary lifestyle to it, it only gets worse.

If you are new to veganism, you may not be getting in enough iron and essential proteins and other vitamins that your body needs.
    This can cause anemia, and other deficiencies that can certainly make you tired and unmotivated to do anything other than sleep and lie around the house. Perhaps this is not the time to embrace that lifestyle right now. Get some other things fixed first, then decide if it is for you.

Make sure you are eating a good balance of proteins, healthy fats, and carbs. Are you UNDEReating? Have you cut out most protein and fats and live on sugar and processed carbs? If so, your blood sugar is all over the place, and you will feel like crap.

Inactivity is also a vicious cycle. The more you do nothing, the more you WANT to do nothing. Make yourself get up and go do something. You may not FEEL like it, but once you start doing it, you will start to feel like doing it more. My favorite saying from a wise man I know is "Feelings follow Action". Once you start living life, you will start to see that you do indeed have a life to live.

Exercise releases endorphins, which can help with depression so much.

Do you not have a job? Do you live with your parents? Do you have any friends you can go do things with?

You are 21. You have a lifetime of wonderful experiences ahead of you. GO LIVE YOUR LIFE! Do not waste it.:flowerforyou:

ETA I am not bashing the vegan lifestyle, only pointing out that many people start it without knowing what they are doing, and end up deficient in iron and other vitamins and can really screw up their bodies. Do your homework to make sure you are doing it in a healthy way!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    It's the hardest habit to break. EVER. I had to do it. I never felt like doing anything after I woke up so my social and school life suffered.
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OMG...I have my "meditation" hour every lunch. I find it relaxes and refreshes me and gets me ready to work hard for the rest of the afternoon.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I only get 3 or 4 hours sleep each night, so I wish I could nap in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I can't get to sleep then either. Have too much work and way too much to worry about. You are lucky to be able to have the time for that.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    yes, it is actually good to take a small nap to recharge your body
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    mmm...naps are great. If you have the leisure, go for it. You should only be sleeping for about 30-90 minutes though. Anything more and it might be something else. (Such as depression, lack of sleep at night, etc)
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I nap at home during my lunch hour.. :o juts 10-20 mins though
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    An afternoon nap is great. Not exercising is not-so-great. Not at all. Not for your emotional health, your physical health (now and as you age)--not even good for your bones. You don't have to "exercise" --buy a chainsaw and cut firewood (one of my favorite things!), till up a garden (without a tiller!), train a dog (or a horse!), hike, wash windows for your elderly neighbor, scrub floors, mow the lawn, whatever floats your boat (oooh, get a boat and learn to ski!). Get moving!
  • JewelToned
    JewelToned Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to your profile and post on your other thread, you have depression, take meds for that, and are new to veganism.

All of these things can be problematic, and when you add your sedentary lifestyle to it, it only gets worse.

If you are new to veganism, you may not be getting in enough iron and essential proteins and other vitamins that your body needs.
    This can cause anemia, and other deficiencies that can certainly make you tired and unmotivated to do anything other than sleep and lie around the house. Perhaps this is not the time to embrace that lifestyle right now. Get some other things fixed first, then decide if it is for you.

Make sure you are eating a good balance of proteins, healthy fats, and carbs. Are you UNDEReating? Have you cut out most protein and fats and live on sugar and processed carbs? If so, your blood sugar is all over the place, and you will feel like crap.

Inactivity is also a vicious cycle. The more you do nothing, the more you WANT to do nothing. Make yourself get up and go do something. You may not FEEL like it, but once you start doing it, you will start to feel like doing it more. My favorite saying from a wise man I know is "Feelings follow Action". Once you start living life, you will start to see that you do indeed have a life to live.

Exercise releases endorphins, which can help with depression so much.

Do you not have a job? Do you live with your parents? Do you have any friends you can go do things with?

You are 21. You have a lifetime of wonderful experiences ahead of you. GO LIVE YOUR LIFE! Do not waste it.:flowerforyou:

ETA I am not bashing the vegan lifestyle, only pointing out that many people start it without knowing what they are doing, and end up deficient in iron and other vitamins and can really screw up their bodies. Do your homework to make sure you are doing it in a healthy way!

THIS! Especially about inactivity leading to further inactivity. I lost my brother 9 months ago and have been depressed. I stopped working out and after finally seeing a therapist and getting some help, it's now a part of my treatment plan that I work out. I can't tell you the difference I feel and how much stress is relieved after a 30 minute workout. Sometimes I'm still so wound up that I'll do more. I sleep better when I workout. I'm about to increase my calories because I'm feeling so rundown the past couple days, so that can def contribute to feeling tired even if your sleeping at night.
    I love naps but I do find that if they are too long, I wake up more tired and it defeats the purpose. I try to keep them in 30 minute intervals.