This time in 5 weeks you will weigh......

Options
How come that for the past 5 weeks I have been teased with lovely low numbers, such as 6lb down from current, but in reality it has only been 1 lb down in that time??!!

I know that there could be minor logging errors, but surely not enough to account for such a difference. My average net calories over the last 30 days is about 1220 per day. I started lifting 3 weeks ago and that is the only thing that I can think of that will make a difference. Not that I have done enough to build any muscle in that time!

its bloody annoying!

Replies

• AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not an expert on this but I think when you begin lifting (or strenuous cardio) your body tends to hold onto water and up it's glycogen supplies. This can account for a few extra pounds. Drinking more water might help. Also if you're eating your exercise calories back you might be eating back more then you actually burned. Which would cut your deficit as well.

Again I'm not an expert so perhaps another member could provide more information.
  • lisajtubs
    lisajtubs Posts: 62
    Options
    Ah yes, the overestimating abilities of MFP exercise planner! i guess i will need to rethink my logging etc.
  • lisajtubs
    Options
    why has my profiel piccy chopped off my head?!

I guess thats at least 6lbs gone then!!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    To see that if you keep this up, you''ll weight this much in 5 weeks is motivation to me. I like it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Are those kitchen counters really short or are you really tall?
  • lisajtubs
    Options
    haha, i do look freakishly tall in the pic! I am normal height, as are my counter tops. I can only assume that it is due to my heels (would be 5'8" in them) and a 'less than pro' photographer (my slightly tipsy sister!) getting a weird angle
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It depend on how much you eat too, when you finish your day and submit. The further under your daily goal you are the less it'll say you'll weigh in 5 weeks. It's not really too accurate for me, but it'd be interesting to write it down and then actually see how much you weigh in 5 weeks.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've never once had that predictor be correct. I guess it's supposed to be motivation - but it's never, ever been true.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I've never once had that predictor be correct. I guess it's supposed to be motivation - but it's never, ever been true.
    Have you ever eaten the same amount of net calories every day for the next five weeks? If so, how far off was the "prediction"?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

It is just a motivator and a guide to help keep you on track. I doubt anyone has the exact same day for 5 weeks in terms of calorie intake and expenditure.
  • HelenCDavis
    HelenCDavis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat as I understand it. You are probably losing inches and reshaping your body, which is a nice thing.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat as I understand it. You are probably losing inches and reshaping your body, which is a nice thing.
    Muscle doesnt weigh more then fat,,a pound is a pound is a pound,,muscle is more dense,so a lb of muscle takes up less space then fat,,thats is probably what you are thinking.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Muscle doesnt weigh more then fat,,a pound is a pound is a pound,,muscle is more dense,so a lb of muscle takes up less space then fat,,thats is probably what you are thinking.
    That's also what people are thinking when they say lead weighs more than styrofoam. Volume is inherent in the way we evaluate something's weight. Do you tell people that lead weighs the same as styrofoam?
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Its just an average sum there is no magic equation to know what anyone will weigh in 5 weeks but I find it motivating when I see a lower number than I am right now so I like it I don't care that its overly optimistic