Daily Fluctuations?

Options
Hi! Over the last couple of days I have gone up a few pounds since the first of July. I have older data, but am just showing this for the purpose of it I will give the last four days.

Weight 7/04/2014 123.2 lbs _______
Weight 7/03/2014 122.8 lbs 2451 mg
Weight 7/02/2014 122 lbs 1551 mg
Weight 7/01/2014 122.8 lbs 1119 mg

My weight has gone up, and I know a few things can affect it. My sodium has been recorded next to the weight.

I also have not had a bowel movement in three days. Is it possible that a combination of all of these things has caused "weight gain?

What is somewhat ironic is that I have been eating calories to maintain my weight (not lose or gain) and I have only overeaten now by 300, so that would not be enough to likely cause a gain on the scale.
Any help would be great.

Replies

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, daily fluctuations are possible. Sodium can affect it, the amount of water you drink, when you drink the water, when you weigh, certain foods you may be sensitive to, and LOTS more. Weight loss is not linear, its more like a zig zaggy line! I wouldn't weigh yourself everyday, it'll drive you to madness! Weigh once or twice a week.

I have food sensitivities and its not uncommon for me to have a 3 lb jump in weight overnight.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Weekly fluctuations or trends are probably are a better indicator of direction. No BM for 3 days indicates something, what, I'm not sure. As for weight fluctuation inside any given week it could be as much as 7 pounds(for me). YMMV. I do not record or weigh myself daily. 1/2 a pound in 4 days is nothing to be concerned about.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sodium, hormones, digestion, hydration, constipation... everything. My weight jumps around a pound or three all month long. I only record one weigh in a month. Its always after my cycle ends, and always on the same scale. As long as that's down - I'm good to go.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    definitely normal. Earlier this week we went out for Mexican. Lots of salt, lots of carbs. The next day I was 5lbs heavier and 8lbs over my lowest weight. All week long I drank lots of water and today I weighed in at my lowest weight ever. Nearly 10lbs difference in 5 days.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    People fluctuate +/- 5lbs on any given day, roughly speaking. Track your weight over a longer period of time (weekly weigh-ins) and try not to focus too much on daily weight.
  • seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone for the input! I try not to let daily changes affect me, I just have a hard time understanding WHY it happens. Thank you for the explanations. :)
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It can get irritating but small fluctuations are normal. I log my weight daily on an iOS app called Happy Scale, there's also weightgrapher.com and probably a ton of other sites like it. They graph out a trending weight line and it definitely puts my mind at ease when it comes to daily changes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's an evil scale.

I lost a bunch before I started weighing and counting calories. When I got the scale and it went up, at first I was like, "What?! HOW?! From where?!" Then I knew it had to be an evil scale, because it might go up, but I know that I go down.

If you have an evil scale, pay it no attention. Just follow you overall trend and make sure you're losing...and let it have it's evil readings.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not to discount you but that's really not much of anything. I can fluctuate up to 7 lbs if I eat certain foods, usually containing gluten. My daily fluctuation (if I don't eat gluten) is 2-3 lbs at most. It's normal, a lot comes into play, sodium, changes in diet, weather, etc...

You're all good.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Looks normal to me. You weight naturally fluctuates from day to day. It's good not to get hung up on the numbers.