5'10-5'11 goal weight

Options
Imadorkable
Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
So my mom and I were having a debate on a healthy goal weight range for me. I am thinking anywhere from 150-170 lb. She says 150 is to low for my frame. What would a healthy goal weight be? According to the frame size calculator I have a broad frame.

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm a small frame. Wrist measure 6.25 and fingers overlap. However that happened as I lost weight. Originally thought I was medium. Anyways, I'm targeting 145 for now.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 150 would be low for my frame. I'm aiming for about 175 initially, possibly going for 165 if I then feel I need it.

Why don't you aim for 170 first, then re-evaluate from there? It might be a good idea to split up your goal into manageable 10lb chunks anyway, makes it seem more achievable!
  • cinmorrowlvn
    cinmorrowlvn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and a very large frame (my fingers don't touch at all when wrapped around my wrist). Many years ago I was 145 and WAY too small for my body - my hip/clavicle bones were sticking out. My goal is about 200lb. That's pretty realistic for me.
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I found an old post with pics of people our height. It was interesting to see the changes! I'll aim for 170ish and go from their. I'll probably end up being a medium frame. I just check my wrist again and now my fingers touch. Thank you for your guys' input.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    5'10" and a large frame…. my GW is 180, although according to BMI calculators, that's still in the overweight range. 170 would put me at a healthy BMI. 150 seems low for a large frame.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    There is a frame size calculator? I may need to see this! Okay, for your height, not knowing your genetics, family history, size of your foot in relation to the length of your forearm, I'd say 150 is fine, and 170 is fine.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'10" man and when I cut down I'm in the mid to high 170s. I'm currently 195 and working to gain enough muscle mass so I can cut into the 180s.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've got to say.. I don't believe the bull**** about frame size and weight. Show me one peer reviewed study in which it indicated that people with "small frames" were less healthy at the lower weight ranges for their heights. I'm 5'11. I've weighed 149 before. That is my goal weight now. I think that people use frame size as an excuse because, on average, everyone is so much bigger.

Frame size is controversial at best. You will find all sorts of things about how wrist size indicates frame, no rib size, no it's the relationship between your foot and your arm. No. Stahhhp. Human bones DO weigh a lot. Bone density does affect weight. Bone size does affect weight. However, weight ranges account for differences in height. There is no scientific measure of frame since proportions vary so widely. You can have tiny wrists and wide-set hips and ribs. You can have huge wrists, but be missing 2 ribs and have fewer bones in your hands and feet.

You're better off starting with BMI and then evaluating your body fat percentage and health with your doctor.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and my goal weight is 160. I've gotten down to 148 before, but you could see my ribs (I have huge boobs, so I carry more weight there)
  • MsPantherNPink
    MsPantherNPink Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 5'91/2 and my goal weight is 180-185. I really don't pay to much attention the weight calculator because I know I don't want to be in the weight range it says I should be in. I am a woman with a large build, but I still want curves.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, with a large frame. When I was not overweight, I found 165 to be a good weight. I made it down to 155, but it felt like a full time job trying to stay there. When we are this tall, 10lb generally doesn't make a huge difference to how we look. I'd rather be at the upper side of a healthy weight range and happy than making myself miserable trying to stay at the lower end.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and 1/2 and just hit what I thought would be my final goal weight when I first started: 165. I picked it arbitrarily because it was what I weighed when I graduated high school. But now that I'm here, I'm not as happy as I thought with body composition so I've reset for another 6 pounds. I'll reassess when I get there. But for your goal, I think it depends on A) what makes you feel best and B) what you can maintain without torturing yourself. It's a trial and error thing.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I'm aiming for 175. Back when I was in my first year of college 3 years ago I was really fit and dropped down to about 175 and I loved the way I looked. Keep in mind that everyone's body type can be different. I'm curvy and have big thighs/butt and boobs so 175 can look different on a smaller framed woman.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and my goal weight is 130. I have a very small frame and carry my weight in the lower half so I never look gross skinny. I got down to 125 the first time I lost on here and seemed to settle at about 130ish. That's where I'm heading again.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im aiming for 154 (specific I know!) Im currently at 160 and although I am a healthy weight, Im really just trying to cut down on fat %. I would be happy at 170 if I was lean with it
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    Go to one of the BMI calculators and put in your height. Then put in different weights and find ones that make the BMI between 20-25 (or something like 24-27 which has recently been considered "healthy"). That will give you a range of what you should be aiming for.
  • jeannab13
    jeannab13 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 5'10" and am 186 lbs. I have medium frame (middle finger and thumb touch - slight overlap).
    I was thinking 140-145 pounds. I wear a size 14 (US sizes) and would like to be back to a 12 at least. My belly (have had 2 kids and hysterectomy) is my main issue. I am 41 years old.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com

This website will give you a range of what you may look like at a certain size.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my goal is 150, but I am 163 now and worry that 150 might be too low for me. I still have a little more weight to lose, but I'm not sure if I really need to lose 13 pounds. As another poster said though, for us taller people, 10 pounds doesn't make a huge difference. I guess I will keep going until I am happy with the way I look/feel. I want to get under 160, so maybe 4-6 more pounds and then I will re-evaluate to see if I really need to get to that "magic" number. As another poster also mentioned, I don't want to feel like it's a full-time job to maintain the weight loss either, so I will be happy at the point where my body gets to a comfortable size/weight without having to still be on a "diet" to keep it at a steady number.
  • AmigosRanger
    AmigosRanger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and first goal was 170, which is out of the overweight range. I still had a lot of pudge so I adjusted it to 160. I'm small to medium framed and I had always thought I was large framed ( I used that as an excuse). My final goal is about 155, but it really depends on your body shape.
    10 pounds can make a ton of difference. Going from 170 to 160 my hip bones started to stick out and my thighs don't scrape together any more. I also look a lot better in a swim suit.