What are your maintenance calories?

Options
I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should eat to maintain. Currently eat ~1580 cals a day while being set as lightly active. (weight lift 2-3 times a week) Is that enough? I don't eat back exercise calories. How much do you eat to maintain your weight?

Replies

• Melly_enright
    Options
    have you checked out your BMR?? that will give you an indication of haw many cals you should eat if you want to lose, maintain or gain weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not sure that other people's numbers will help you! For example I seem to be efficient at extracting every last calorie of energy out of my food but compensate with loads of exercise (I seem to be an outlier when using any calculator).

You can find your maintenance calories by trial & error - walking up your calories over time until you maintain within a weight range.

Or if your numbers were accurate during your weight loss (i.e. gave predicted rate of weight loss) set MFP to maintain weight.

Or use your own data to workout your TDEE (look back over the last 6 weeks, work out average and allow for weight lost).

Or just work from recent weight loss results (if you recently lost on average a pound a week you will probably need to bump your calories by 500/day.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Easy way to tell if (approx) 1580 is enough for you is............................by your weight. If you are maintaining - then it's a good number for you. If you are losing, then it's not enough. Gaining, too much.
    LOVE the amount of fiber you eat a day!!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should eat to maintain. Currently eat ~1580 cals a day while being set as lightly active. (weight lift 2-3 times a week) Is that enough? I don't eat back exercise calories. How much do you eat to maintain your weight?

There are many factors that affect maintenance calories: height, weight, muscle mass, activity, etc.

If your weight is stable then you have found your maintenance level. If you are losing, then you are in deficit.

1580 sounds low for maintenance though, especially as you do not eat back exercise calories. Is your MFP profile set to 'maintain'?
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It depends, but as an example, I'm female, 5'4" and weigh 132lbs. I'm not particularly muscular. I eat 1650-1700 on a sedentary day, and up to 500 more than that on a training day. That's maintenance, for me.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    At least 2K/day without adding back any exercise calories, which for me would just be walking. 1500s sounds too low.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me maintenance calories of 1750 based on my age and activity level. I also added my daily exercise. It seems to be working. If I don't exercise for the day, 1770 is pretty close to not losing weight. If I add exercise, I have to eat more to maintain instead of losing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Not sure that other people's numbers will help you! For example I seem to be efficient at extracting every last calorie of energy out of my food but compensate with loads of exercise (I seem to be an outlier when using any calculator).

You can find your maintenance calories by trial & error - walking up your calories over time until you maintain within a weight range.

Or if your numbers were accurate during your weight loss (i.e. gave predicted rate of weight loss) set MFP to maintain weight.

Or use your own data to workout your TDEE (look back over the last 6 weeks, work out average and allow for weight lost).

Or just work from recent weight loss results (if you recently lost on average a pound a week you will probably need to bump your calories by 500/day.

Like he says. Even normative information has to include height, sex, and age. Then we vary from there depending on exercise and our own bodies.

In addition, depending on whether folks use TDEE or add in exercise or change their activity level, people report that base calorie numbers really differently. What I eat and what I net are hundreds of calories apart.
  • MAFJackson
    Options
    Use a BMR calculator to determine how many calories you need to maintain your body. There is a link to one in MyFitnessPal.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Roughly 1450. If I get a bit of leisurely strolling in, it's around 1500. I'm short and slothy. I'm betting yours are higher what with the weight lifting. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but it does burn more calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, so it will take trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. So eat 1,580 for several weeks, then reevaluate.

Your weight will fluctuate, so pick a goal window. (For example, +/- 2.5 lbs.) Whenever you go outside your window, cut or add 100 lbs. per week until your weight stabilizes.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine is 2230 as an active, 5'8", 135lb, 30 year old. I also wear a fitbit and on days that I run I get some more calories added on top of that. Everybody's maintenance calorie levels are going to vary widely though, so I'm not sure what you're looking to glean from the answers to this question.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Over 2000 calories a day and yes I eat my exercise calories back.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories are around 2300 because I have a very physical job in a warehouse and I'm always going out and moving around on weekends. My best friend works at a desk all day and sits on her couch all weekend. I imagine her maintenance calories will be a whole lot less than mine. Other people's maintenance calories will be of no help to you. You need to know your BMR (how many calories you burn each day just to exist) plus the calories you expend each day through daily activities. The two together equal your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and your TDEE is maintenance. You can find a million and one calculators online to figure out an estimate for this number, but it will always be just an estimate. There will be a bit of trial and error on your part to get it down pat. Personally, I think it will be easier for me (once I'm at my goal) to eat a bit below my maintenance and allow room for eating out on weekends or having a few unexpected beers with friends after work.

ETA:: If you're calorie goal is your maintenance and you are trying to maintain your weight, you need to eat back your exercise calories; otherwise, you will continue to lose weight.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If your not helped by this thread, I recommend going to a dietician and work with her to come up with a personalized plan.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    2200-2500 per day. 5'5" 123 lb female.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1500 to maintain my weight of 135 (5'4" female).
  • Emmaa233
    Emmaa233 Posts: 12
    Options
    Losing weight is all about calories. The human body is only capable of losing 2lbs a week of body-fat. When trying to lose weight you must try to eat between 300-600 calories below your maintenance levels. For example... Im a big guy and my Maintenance calorie levels are 2600 now in order for me to lose weight i have to eat 2100 calories. Now that i know how many calories i need to eat to lose weight slowly and safely i have to choose a diet with types of food that will all add up to 2100 calories...
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    everyone is different.

I net anywhere from 1600-2300 and have maintained a 30 pound loss for almost 7 months.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I find myself shaping up at 1630 calories on inactive days; this is probably too low on days that I exercise. I maintain around 110 lbs.

I have a standing job. I can eat up to 1900 on work out days and still lean out.