Thyroid support friends wanted

Options
I think only those who suffer from hypothyroidism or Hashimoto"s can sometimes really relate to the struggle of working your butt off to lose a pound and watching your husband sneak ice cream every night and lose more weight, or just the kind of fatigue that you can get even if you are on the proper meds and fitness plan. Hypothyroid is not a reason to stop or an excuse because it can be done but I would love a few pals here who have similar struggles-- because every now and then it isn't just an excuse it really is my thyroid and not everyone gets that. .

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am Hashi's and Hypo... my thyroid is non-functioning at this point... :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is so very true, I have pituitary problems so I also have the added struggle of dealing with adrenal issues. When I was placed on steroids I ballooned up and the weight has been extremely difficult to lose. It's frustrating, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in this struggle! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. Honestly, my husband can eat ice cream because he is a whole lot bigger and more muscular than I am. Our calorie needs are different, that's all, and yours are different from your husband's with or without a thyroid problem. My husband will ALWAYS be able to eat more than I do. I honestly don't even think about it anymore, I just hit my macros and if that includes ice cream yay for me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. Honestly, my husband can eat ice cream because he is a whole lot bigger and more muscular than I am. Our calorie needs are different, that's all, and yours are different from your husband's with or without a thyroid problem. My husband will ALWAYS be able to eat more than I do. I honestly don't even think about it anymore, I just hit my macros and if that includes ice cream yay for me.
    ^^^This.

Weight loss is like yoga. Never compare yourself to anyone else. Just do your best.
  • AWorth10
    AWorth10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have Hypothyroidism, it was diagnosed shortly after I went into menopause in my mid-thirties (42 now). I find weight loss to be slower, but definately possible. For me exercise is a necessary part of my success in weight loss and in fighting the fatigue. I also have a genetic disorder, which causes fatigue (ED's Hypermobility). Whatever the cause, I know when I eat clean and move my body, I feel better and look better.

Stay positive, you can do this, I tell myself slow and steady wins the race!

Feel free to friend me:smile:
  • vcdfw
    vcdfw Posts: 49
    Options
    Ah my thyroid and I rarely see eye to eye... some years my meds have to be elevated twice to get my levels right and other times I can go two years without having to raise my med levels and when I have to raise them and have been working hard to drop a few pounds sometimes I feel like it was wasted effort for a bit, like if I had been on the right levels before I started then it would have done some good or more good.

When I get like that I try to look at a very good friend of mine that doesn't have thyroid issues but she has severe asthma and has to treat it with steroids at times which throws her body more out of whack than mine, but she keeps walking or doing the elliptical at lunch with me and she keeps watching her calorie intake and it can two weeks or three weeks of plateau for her and then wham her body drops five pounds.

Long story short she doesn't give up and now is 30lbs lighter than when we started and I'm just down 8lbs because I keep starting getting discouraged and giving up and then gaining and repeating the process. So now I try to just remind myself of a couple of things:

1. I owe my body a debt of good nutrition, since it's carried me all these years of me feeding it crap, and the debt must be repaid.
    2. Exercise is NOT fun before or during but you feel great afterward and I do want to feel great.
    3. Your human so get over it! My greatest accomplishments have come from adversity so put on your big girl panties and get er done (saying this to myself of course).

I think you're doing the right thing, and you'll be successful eventually. Didn't someone wise say life isn't a sprint it's a marathon or something catchy like that? Best wishes to you, I'm proud of you and who cares if your husband wants to sabotage his progress every night, he'd lose more weight faster if he didn't but that's his cross to bear, you keep moving and watching what you put in your body and you're going to succeed!

God Bless