Those skinny friends who say you don't need to lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am borrowing this from one of my favorite blogs:

When you know for a fact you are overweight (and it is having a negative effect on your health) and someone tells you, "You don't need to lose weight." It can translate several ways.

a) "I like being the thin one in our relationship, and I don't want to lose my identity."
    b) "I'm afraid if you change you won't be my friend."
    c) "I don't like seeing you achieve your goals, because it reminds me of how I am not achieving mine."
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options

When you know for a fact you are overweight (and it is having a negative effect on your health) and someone tells you, "You don't need to lose weight." It can translate several ways.

a) "I like being the thin one in our relationship, and I don't want to lose my identity."
    c) "I don't like seeing you achieve your goals, because it reminds me of how I am not achieving mine."

This is so wrong I can't decide if I should laugh or weep that people believe this to be the case. Sure there are some people that this describes, but the majority of people don't want to say "yeah girl, you're fat, it's about time." In fact, a lot of people don't even believe that. Most people in America are overweight and don't want to judge others or hurt others feelings. A lot of people, myself included, don't feel that anyone "needs" to lose weight because our media already tells everyone that they aren't good enough unless they look like a model. If a fat friend said they needed to lose weight, I'd tell them they don't need to, but it's cool they want to get healthier.
    Your list is awful and is part of the "hate skinny people" mentality and I'd like the name of the blog it's from so I can avoid it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

This is so wrong I can't decide if I should laugh or weep that people believe this to be the case. Sure there are some people that this describes, but the majority of people don't want to say "yeah girl, you're fat, it's about time." In fact, a lot of people don't even believe that. Most people in America are overweight and don't want to judge others or hurt others feelings. A lot of people, myself included, don't feel that anyone "needs" to lose weight because our media already tells everyone that they aren't good enough unless they look like a model. If a fat friend said they needed to lose weight, I'd tell them they don't need to, but it's cool they want to get healthier.
    Your list is awful and is part of the "hate skinny people" mentality and I'd like the name of the blog it's from so I can avoid it.

I agree.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I agree.

+1

Sometimes someone saying something polite and nice is just being polite and nice. These attempts to interpret everything anyone says as backhanded compliments and attacks seem awfully self defeating and indicative of self esteem issues, IMHO.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Quite a few times over the past few years, when I've mentioned to my friends that I needed to lose weight...they would tell me that I don't need to. But then they go one about how they need to lose weight...blah blah...and they are about half my size. I can't be the only one who experienced this, how do you respond to something like that?

I just smile and nod. Then when they are busy talking to someone else, I take a slice of cake and shove it in their open mouth, pushing it down their throat whilst screaming "Incoming!!!!!" They usually don't talk to me after that. Win/win.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I agree.

+1

Sometimes someone saying something polite and nice is just being polite and nice. These attempts to interpret everything anyone says as backhanded compliments and attacks seem awfully self defeating and indicative of self esteem issues, IMHO.

Pretty much all of this
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I say buck those fitches. For real.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I don't ever say anything to my friends about this. Period. This weight loss/getting fit and healthy thing is my business and no one else's. I just quietly eat right and hit the gym 4x a week without saying a word about it to anyone.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I don't ever say anything to my friends about this. Period. This weight loss/getting fit and healthy thing is my business and no one else's. I just quietly eat right and hit the gym 4x a week without saying a word about it to anyone.

This is what I do. I don't even talk about it with my family, only my husband. Regardless, I agree with NinerBuff and the other person who posted the three things about women who tell you that you don't need to lose weight. It's true. They don't want to lose their position in the friendship as the "skinny" friend. Sad but true.
  • EmilyS892
    EmilyS892 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would rather have them offer to work out with me, to be honest.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they're being polite or just trying to be supportive. I think everyone, "skinny" or otherwise feels the pressure to be thinner, "more perfect", what have you. Thank the media and advertisements for that.

You can just say "thank you, I appreciate you saying that, but I want to do it to get healthier or be happier". Everyone is on their own journey, including your friends and it's not always about the size on your clothes. It's a perspective.

This response was very well said, and I couldn't have said it any better! It's hard sometimes to realize that we're not the only ones facing issues and insecurities with our bodies. At the end of the day we can strive to give others the same caring support, which we hope to receive ourselves as well.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As one who is usually considered the "skinny friend," I often feel incredibly uncomfortable when heavier friends discuss their weight. When someone says "I need to lose weight," sometimes I think, "yes, you certainly do," but am too afraid to say this because I don't want to hurt their feelings. I am also the WORST liar ever, so I also can't say "no! You look great!" So instead I end up just feeling really awkward and uncomfortable. A lot of my friends know of my weight loss journey so they'll ask me for tips or to be their workout buddy, which I think is a much more appropriate way of bringing up the topic. It makes us both feel a lot less judged.

Also, as the "skinny friend," there are times when I put a few pounds back on and want to lose them (such as now). If I say I need to lose some weight, please don't judge me for that or say I'm already skinny - we all have an ideal body size/image we'd like to attain and the fact that my starting point is different from yours shouldn't negate that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they are trying to be "nice" to your face but who knows what they could be saying behind your back.

sorry but i never trust these type people who will lie to my face. it's like i know i;m fat, you know i'm fat but then you're going to stand here and try and convince me im not? :laugh: bich please :noway:

i think a truer and more supportive response would be something like what is your plan? or you can do just let me know if you ever want a workout buddy.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem... People who are larger than me telling me to shut up because I don't need to lose weight. So I guess I'm the annoying skinnier person? But just because my friend is obese doesn't mean I don't need to lose weight, and it annoys me when they blow me off when I bring up something that is an important goal in my life right now. So...

Yup.
    I never purposely try and talk about my weight, but I do talk about exercise or eating healthier.
    It sucks when your friends say you don't need to change anything lest you look anorexic. :/

I'm sure there ARE crappy friends out there, but give them the benefit of the doubt I say.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just don't bring up my weight ever, especially around people who are thinner than me. It's mostly out of being self conscious though.