Coconut Oil

Options
I am reading conflicting reports on the internet about the health benefits of coconut oil. What are your thoughts ?? Is it healthy or not

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Anyone ??
  • Gimpypal
    Gimpypal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Healthy in moderation. Can use to cook at high temps without creating trans fats. I also use avocado oil instead of olive oil to cook with, and in salads.
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Coconut oil is a good thing. A very, very good thing. It's really healthy in the fats (yes, saturated is healthy too) that you need to burn energy and lose weight.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's healthier than other fats or not but I do know that I don't care for the greasy texture of it. It sits heavier with me than butter or olive oil.

Avocado oil is my new favourite. I'd take that over coconut oil any day.

I don't think it's a 'miracle'. I doubt you'd add years to your life if you added it in to your diet.

Just my 2¢. :flowerforyou:
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use it on my hair, and less frequently on my skin. I don't cook with it though... I prefer butter.
  • Clovermoth
    Clovermoth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    avocado oil? That sounds interesting! Going to check that out. I use coconut oil....sometimes....mostly I use it in a hair mask for my long hair, smells so good ;)
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What sort of use where you asking about though?

It's handy for removing make up.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fad and I don't think that there's sufficient evidence for the safety of saturated fats (re: cardiovascular risk) so I wouldn't waste my money on it as a food. I've never tried it in my hair though..
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It is a healthy oil Denise, but all the hype about this came from the premise that coconut oil was eaten by healthy Islanders who lived to great ages without much evidence of arterial disease in their race.
    What the report didn't mention that they were hunter gatherers who's diet consisted mainly of fish and vegetables with natural fruits. In this context, Coconut oil would be their only real fat source and per se, then its a healthy choice,
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. Virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is what you want for the healthy fats. It's usually more expensive tho- using the refined stuff for hair and body is still awesome.

Basically the type of fat that's in coconut oil is turned to energy right away instead of being stored in your cells as fat usually is.
    I think its called MCT? Can't remember for sure though. Again though, this is in unrefined - refined has basically been overcooked so the fats are just the normal saturated kind... I wouldn't want to eat that.

The unrefined stuff also smells so much better- a sweeter coconut scent and flavour, while the refined stuff's kinda... well, just not as nice. Can't think of the word for it but I don't like the flavour of that stuff.

Avocado oil sounds very interesting though, don't think I've heard of that before.

ETA:
    It is a healthy oil Denise, but all the hype about this came from the premise that coconut oil was eaten by healthy Islanders who lived to great ages without much evidence of arterial disease in their race.
    What the report didn't mention that they were hunter gatherers who's diet consisted mainly of fish and vegetables with natural fruits. In this context, Coconut oil would be their only real fat source and per se, then its a healthy choice,

You would, of course, need to watch your fat intake and cut back elsewhere to counteract that (unless you're on a high fat diet).
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    no idea if the healthy claims are true or not but I love it. I use it to cook with (sparingly) as I like the added flavour to stir fries and I also use it on my hair occasionally as an overnight restorer, on my skin when very dry and on my dogs' coats when they are flaky
  • leet13
    leet13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! On occasion (when I have a sweet tooth) I fry banana slices in coconut oil. Its very good! I use it when doing a stir fry with veggies too... I also use it as lip balm, hair conditioner and/or moisturizer too.

I agree on what was posted ^^^ I believe it is healthy in moderation of course!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I moisturize daily with it, I pull oil with it and I cook with it.I even make a hair mask with it. Did I mention I love coconut oil?:laugh:
  • honeyboobookitten
    honeyboobookitten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a fan of unsweetened almond milk :)
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great because of the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and it's anti fungal properties. Unlike other saturated fat it does not thicken blood it blends in well (see Dr. OZ snippet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tf3mQiNXI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jc69i4Ya4). It helps Boost Metabolism and Thyroid Function among other benefits. It should be unrefined for all the benefits.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    So, yes, I cook with it. No to taking off make-up, and no to oil pulling.

Healthy? In moderation and is considered a healthy fat(fat labeling OMG) but yes, like nut butter, EEVO, avocado.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Healthy in moderation. Can use to cook at high temps without creating trans fats. I also use avocado oil instead of olive oil to cook with, and in salads.

hmm....I thought it had a smoke point of 350*F ...I don't use it to cook with much.

OP: I would Google medium chain triglycerides and decide for yourself how much you need this in your life :wink:

For me, since my diet is LCHF, I use it to add calories otherwise I'd never be able to keep up a reasonable level.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The health benefits of coconut oil are too many to list here. Best oil for cooking. I have used it almost exclusively for over a decade.

The negative info and bad reputation that still seems to be around regarding CO was from a propaganda campaign connected to soy bean oil years ago. They set out to make everyone believe CO was unhealthy & that soy was great. Now we know that soy is extremely unhealthy & we should have stuck with coconut oil all along.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't read too much into the 'health' benefits but it is very tasty, has a higher burn point than, say, olive oil so good for frying and it's great for skin and hair :)