ABC's Extreme Weight Loss

Options
124»

Replies

• wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I love the show and I love Chris Powell!! No I don't buy his books or anything but I love him. The show is so inspiring! I have watched from season 1 and Bruce's transformation was by far one of the best. What an amazing person and when you think of all he's been through, to still be so positive and encouraging and a role model for his team even before the weightloss, I was so happy for him.

I came here to say exactly this. XD I enjoy watching the show, even though I realize that it is not 'realistic'...and even if you could lose that much weight at home on your own....I personally wouldn't want to because I cannot afford the surgery. Anywhos....Definitely agree that Bruce was one of the better people on there. At first I thought he was slightly annoying, but I quickly softened up. =P
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm wondering about the approximately 2 hour gap between your original post and your "bump" of this thread?

Do you wonder if the reason nobody initially replied to your post might have been that people thought the subject's sensitive issues might be something they did not want to trample on in an online forum?

Football/concussion timely issues notwithstanding there were some core issues that although you felt were harped upon, for the people they affect they play a major role in their lives until they deal with them through therapy or confrontation.

I'm also wondering...did you feel the courtroom scenes with the judge and bailiffs were also contrived? I'm curious what else could have been done for you to feel that the events issues being portrayed were more genuine?

My guess was some topics might get lost when they view "recent topics" or don't see any responses. Once a couple people replied the topic took off as it was continually being broadcast as a recent topic.

I am just a terrible cynic and don't like many of the realty shows, especially the "let's give the poor handicapped minority a tricked out new home" show whatever it's called.

Too me it was like they looked up current events making the headlines (ie football concussions) and designed the show with these stories lines to capture more viewers. Like a group of story writers are sitting around the table and writing shows about:

> Overweight low income person can now get proper health care under Obamacare.

> Obese gay couple can now marry and will tackle weight loss together.

>Overweight global warming scientist burning fat and saving the polar ice caps.
  • ddrmaster07
    ddrmaster07 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think the show is meant for changing lives and inspiring the audience as well. Biggest loser contestants lose more weight in shorter period of time. I fee like Extreme weight loss not only give a good amount of time for weight loss, but it also focuses on some of the emotional reasons of why people pack on that much weight. I like how the goals amounts are smaller as the contestant goes through the phases. I see that some say that the amount of weigh loss is unhealty, but just look at unhealthy these people are. Last weeks episode the gentleman had a set of donuts at his side while he was playing a guitar that he couldnt even rest on his leg. All in all I still tune in each week cuz i see it as inspiration.
  • ddrmaster07
    ddrmaster07 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. They are showing real people with real lives. Its more relatable cuz lets face it. We dont all have the income to be at workout camps 8 hours a day.
  • ArmyWifePagano
    ArmyWifePagano Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in love with this show! With all the violence and other terrible shows on TV nowadays, it's great to see something that inspires and provides a positive message. I don't miss an episode!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the oddball here and say I don't like the show for 2 reasons:

1. SEVERELY unrealistic and dangerous weight loss goals. 100+ pounds in 3 months? And if they fall a couple pounds short of the goal its treated like a failure? Really???

2. The constant crying. All the time. I realize things get emotional sometimes but damn. Every second of the last show was constant blubbering (Bruce I think?) And yes I know he had traumatic events as a kid. But you know what , so did I and lots of other people but they aren't blubbering messes every day. Grow the hell up. Seriously. He's a grown man. I found it to be very annoying and distracting from the purpose of the show.

Okay now everyone can get angry with me! :laugh:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh I just thought of another reason why I don't like this show.....too much focus on hardcore exercise and not enough attention paid to diet. What are these people eating? How much? It makes weight loss seem all about exercise and nothing about food. Its actually the opposite! They spend no time discussing calories or food choices. Well lets see, with these crazy weight loss numbers I'm sure their net calories have to be in the negatives.....
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Love this show!!
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I always wonder with this show, if off camera they are promoting/using MFP or a similar calorie tracking app. Surely these people must be counting their calories as much as we do!
  • Ivanna_B
    Ivanna_B Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LOL! Rays_Wife, I'm not angry at'cha but I think it's funny that you mentioned the Bruce Pticher episode since that particular episode has become a major source of inspiration for me since it first aired a week and a half ago. Yes, I think losing over 100 lbs in three months is a major feat and wonder about the tactics used to achieve that. But I also noticed that they slow the weight loss goals as they get closer to their ideal weight, that there is plenty of medical staff on hand if an issue comes up (Bruce mentioned that he had weekly therapy sessions, was encouraged to stop exercising when he had a concussion, and saw a doctor when he experienced problems) and think that having 100 extra pounds on one's body might be just as hard on it as losing it in 3 months. Just like the behind-the-scenes medical aspects of the show is glazed over, so are the diets but that is because the show is geared to be more inspirational than informative. I like the show since it makes me feel good to see others achieve their goals & is a reminder that we can all achieve our goals, even those that may seem impossible, as well.

Most episodes are pleasant to watch but don't inspire me like the Bruce Pitcher episode did. The episode speaks volumes about the beauty of forgiveness, the strength in vulnerability, and the power of positive thinking and self-love. You might see Bruce as being a blubberer, but I saw him as being strong enough to expose his weaknesses so that he can get help and finally let it go. And since he such a positive person and a strong motivator of others, I doubt he cries all the time and am sure that the episode just highlighted his most emotional moments.

Bruce's transformation made me realize that so many of us hide behind something (whether it be fat, sarcasm, cockiness, refusal to participate in activities, intolerance for others, or something else) out of fear of exposing our own fears, weaknesses and vulnerabilities to others. When we do this too much, we put ourselves in danger of being suffocated or even crushed by the walls that we built. Bruce was hiding behind food and eating and, at 382 pounds, was slowly killing himself with his own weight. There IS power in breaking down those walls, facing and embracing our fears and opening ourselves up to others and to new experiences.

For those of you who haven't watched it, you can see it here and let us know what you think: http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-weight-loss/episode-guide/season-04/404-bruce
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Bruce's transformation made me realize that so many of us hide behind something (whether it be fat, sarcasm, cockiness, refusal to participate in activities, intolerance for others, or something else) out of fear of exposing our own fears, weaknesses and vulnerabilities to others. When we do this too much, we put ourselves in danger of being suffocated or even crushed by the walls that we built. Bruce was hiding behind food and eating and, at 382 pounds, was slowly killing himself with his own weight. There IS power in breaking down those walls, facing and embracing our fears and opening ourselves up to others and to new experiences.

I've always felt that this is completely true. I've said to people before that I think everyone could use a little bit of therapy in their life. There's no shame in having someone help you get through things and working through life's challenges is only better for you in the long run.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I Love this show.. Far more than BL

Bruce's Episode was probably my favorite ever for this show.

I like that they are learning for the first portion, then are sent home to do it while living their lives. I also LOVE the fact that should I miss an Episode I am not playing catch up because it is one person a week and not a running saga of shows.

I think it is important to show the Abuse or other reasons why they gained the weight. I am sure others who have had similar situations can relate and possibly put them on the right path to taking care of themselves.

If I had a choice I would choose Chris/Heidi Powell to train with in a heartbeat,. I love Jillian Michaels also but the Powell's seem so much more down to earth. I follow them both on Facebook and they post real life stuff about them and their 4 adorable kiddos. As well as your normal motivational stuff.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm going to be the oddball here and say I don't like the show for 2 reasons:

1. SEVERELY unrealistic and dangerous weight loss goals. 100+ pounds in 3 months? And if they fall a couple pounds short of the goal its treated like a failure? Really???

2. The constant crying. All the time. I realize things get emotional sometimes but damn. Every second of the last show was constant blubbering (Bruce I think?) And yes I know he had traumatic events as a kid. But you know what , so did I and lots of other people but they aren't blubbering messes every day. Grow the hell up. Seriously. He's a grown man. I found it to be very annoying and distracting from the purpose of the show.

Okay now everyone can get angry with me! :laugh:

I disgree about point 1. If someone loses weight extremely FAST but is healthier in regards to gaining more muscle, more energy, then it is not dangerous. It is more dangerous being extremely obese.

Agree 1000000% on #2.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about the show. I have lost over 200 pounds and maintained a healthy weight for over a year now. I think the show can serve as a motivation for some people. It is tons better than the Biggest Loser. Chris seems genuine and has some good tips. On the one hand, here are a few issues that I have with the show.

1. Losing weight too fast.
    I think the goals are too unrealistic. When a person fails to meet the "goal" even by a few pounds, Chris asks "What happened?" Hey, if you lost 90 pounds in 90 days, that is awesome. Keep up the good work. Be positive.

2. Extreme workouts.
    I think some of the workouts are too extreme, especially in the first three months. There are serious injuries on the show that could be avoided. The way Chris kept pushing the one-armed kid who fell off the bike seemed cruel. At first, start slow with walking or swimming and light weight training. Then work your way up to more intense workouts.

3. Skin removal surgery.
    If you lose weight over a longer period of time and don't lose the weight so fast, there is less need for skin removal surgery. Also, most reputable plastic surgeons will want the person who is having skin removal surgery to maintain their goal weight for at least six months. I lost over 200 pounds over about 2 years and have minimal loose skin.

4. Fat shaming/inconsistent weigh-ins.
    The producers show people with their shirts off on the first weigh-ins but they don't show the contestants with their shirt off in the final weigh in. This is a form of fat shaming that I think is not healthy. Be consistent on whether the shirt comes off for weigh-ins. I would say keep the shirt on for all weigh-ins but fat shaming helps ratings I guess.

5. Focus more in diet/nutrition.
    I wish the show would focus more on the diet and what the people are eating. Weight loss is more about nutrition than exercise. I think exercise is more important with maintaining a healthy weight. I worked out 2-4 hours a day when I was losing weight but I know that nutrition and portion control are what really counts. You can work out 4 hours a day but still not lose any weight if you still eat too much. I liked the one episode where Chris ate McDonald's for breakfast and got sick. I would like to see food and exercise journals on the show's website.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I lve Chris and Heidi Powell. They are such compassionate people. The show istoo much of a sob story for me. They never show normal people like me. Also, a year isnot enough time to fix these peop l e's problems with food and many of them gain the weight back. I like watching it once in a while. Even though for a normal person it is unrealistic.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I really like Chris Powell. I have a couple of his books and "On Demand" his show when I need inspiration to get my fat butt to the gym. Extreme Weight Loss is a great show IMHO. No one gets voted off. I hate Biggest Loser because of the voting off issue. It seemed the people who need to stay in the program/on the show the most are the ones who get the boot.

Normally I hate reality shows with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. The commercials for any of the "Housewives" shows makes me want to barf. Some folks say that the EWL is fake - but how does that affect you? Even if it is fake, seeing the amazing transformation of an individual physically and emotionally is inspiring. Sure the weight loss is intense and there is skin removal surgery involved; however, it seems that the participants needed to do something radical at that point in their lives.
  • callen71
    callen71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. Studies show that large amounts of weight loss in a short period of time is perfectly fine. It has always been demonized because most people who lose weight so fast use unhealthy methods such as pills or diets that are lacking in real nutrition. Chris Powell and other similar methods do it a healthy way. The calorie intake never falls below 1200 ever. The amount you get is dependant on your weight and is adjusted as you lose.
    2. I agree there are too many tears. I understand it is emotional, but all the crying becomes too much and frankly desensitizes me to their plight.
    3. The program focuses very heavily on the food, but no one wants to watch 2 hours of what people are eating. It is simply more fun to watch the grunting and groaning and struggling that goes along with the intense workouts.

That's all....not mad at ya. We all have our likes and dislikes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone watched last night, but that was a my buddy from high school on there. Pretty cool.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I loved it, makes me want to work that much harder.....you can tell by the end result that he did something amazing. Who cares if it was hokey, beats 99% of the crap on TV these days. That was literally the only TV show other than the USA World Cup that I have or will watch this week.

Agreed!! I love this show and I loved Bruce!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!