What's the weirdest grossest thing you ever ate?

Options
13»

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    snakes, worms, crocodile, kangaroo, shark head, turtles, ostrich, spiders etc... Pretty much anything crawls, flies, moves, walks is on the menu except pets and some other animals.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I accidentally ate a tick once. Makes me cringe to this day.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop back in here and thank you all for grossing me out so much that my appetite is gone. Gonna be a breeze to stay within my calorie limit today! Anytime I feel hungry, I'll just click back over here and catch up... :sick:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I ate some chalks and wax crayons. Yes I was a very weird child.

the weirdest thing that closely resembles food that I ate was home grown salad that still had blackfly and greenfly on it. My mum drowned most of them off but I think I probably did eat quite a lot of insects. But as my dad said, it's extra protein.

I've also eaten camel. In fact I made camel lasagne. It was delicious. not remotely gross at all. but kind of weird in that it's not on sale in western supermarkets.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Chapulines and other bugs in the south of Mexico. Fried, delicious.
    Strange meats in China (you can guess, not going to spell it out).
    Snails, frog, cervela, rognon and other abats in France.
    Cheese with fly larvae in France.

And then there is Chang, a fermented barley "beer" in the Zanskar region of India has to be the grossest thing. Guaranteed to clear the passage.
    But I would sell a child for some mok mok - or Tibetan raviolis of doubtful content. Just very tasty, don't look too closely.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The grossest food I've ever heard of ***Not Eaten it and no desire to*** (and bear in mind I've studied a lot of anthropology, including people eating all kinds of insect larvae) is this kind of cheese that's basically moldy, maggoty and fermented - not normal moldy cheese that you get in posh delis, but completely decomposing disgusting cheese that apparently smells worse than any gross smell you can think of. There have actually been official health warnings given against eating this cheese, because there's quite a high risk of getting gastroenteritis or parasitic infections from eating it. Yet some people eat it. No, I have no intention of eating it.

I can't remember the name of the cheese, I'm hoping someone on here has heard of it. Or can top it with an even more disgusting food. (whether they've eaten it or not)
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'm a chef...and an adventurous eater/Army veteran...so some things i've eaten would probably gross some people out. My philosophy is I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first...the grossest thing I've eaten was a live Jerusalem cricket. This thing is actually trying to bite you as you are eating it...it's very primal. The crunch wasn't bad, and the flavor was very earthy, and feral...not my cuppa tea. THe best way, just in case you are curious, is to bite the head off first, so it doesn't try to chew its way out of your mouth.

I've also eaten live baby octopus...that's just a weird experience -the flavor was fine -the tentacles curling its way out of your mouth as you chew. The ink was a fabulous accompaniment, too...I had to brush my teeth and swish with peroxide afterwards.

i've had yellow jacket larvae stew in northern Alaska with an Innuit community potlach...like warm, salty, lumpy vanilla pudding. I actually liked that one, seal blubber for the first time there...and it tastes just like a mouthful of slightly fishy fat. I had a texture issue with that one, more than a flavor issue.

I actually like toasted insects...ants, crickets more...cockroaches have a weird rancid oily flavor, i'll eat them if need be, but I'd look for termites or wood lice first.

Something new that I tried, and I think it'll be an acquired taste, is corn smut. It's a Mexican delicacy...a fungus that infects a corn crop and is used as a filling for quesadillas. I tried it and it did have the rich, earthy, pungency of a truffle, but the aftertaste wasn't as mellow, more of a rot flavor than an earthy one. I'm chalking that one up to the smut being canned vs from the field. I'll try is a few more times to be sure, though.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ok, so i stand by my previous post that the pickled baby octopus is the grossest tasting/feeling thing i have every chewed up & swallowed. but i have to say that mushrooms are a pretty close second. i gag every time i try one. the only ones i can sometimes tolerate are shiitake in a stir fry.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The grossest food I've ever heard of ***Not Eaten it and no desire to*** (and bear in mind I've studied a lot of anthropology, including people eating all kinds of insect larvae) is this kind of cheese that's basically moldy, maggoty and fermented - not normal moldy cheese that you get in posh delis, but completely decomposing disgusting cheese that apparently smells worse than any gross smell you can think of. There have actually been official health warnings given against eating this cheese, because there's quite a high risk of getting gastroenteritis or parasitic infections from eating it. Yet some people eat it. No, I have no intention of eating it.

I can't remember the name of the cheese, I'm hoping someone on here has heard of it. Or can top it with an even more disgusting food. (whether they've eaten it or not)

parasites? maggots? wth? why would anyone eat that?

edit: btw, i was so curious about this i just had to google it. i think the cheese you are talking about is called "Casu Marzu". and they really do use maggots to make the cheese. :sick:
  • rsandem
    rsandem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Grossest was raw eel. Weirdest (but not bad at all) was mealworms, crickets, and superworms (beetle larvae).
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would say the strangest would be Takoyaki."Takoyaki is a ball-shaped Japanese snack made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan. It is typically filled with minced or diced octopus, tempura scraps, pickled ginger, and green onion"

The nastiest thing I have ate were olives :S lol

I am not that adventurous when it comes to food....
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Casu marzu according to Wikipedia. I have heard of it and hope to never have it.

Please send me your octopus - I will take care of it for you.

For weird/gross, chicken feet (not bad), pig tails and pig stomach in Spain (not bad - pig tails were good, stomach myeh but nice sauce). Durian flavored cookies (from a Taiwanese lab mate in grad school. Me: "What the hell where those cookies??? They taste like rotten pineapple!" Her: "Oh, I thought they were gross too! I thought maybe Americans would like them" We gave them to an Indonesian graduate student who was delighted!)

My husband ate a cabbage lopper (moth) as a kid and as a result, cannot stand cauliflower (thinks it tastes like butterfly wings...)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't think tongue, brain, squid or octopus are weird (the octopus cooked, though).

Weirdest (to me) : pickled raw pig skin
    Grossest : okra, not even close
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    uni