Coconut Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• Gimpypal
    Gimpypal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lou-Ann Coconut oil is good up to 350 F for moderate frying temps. For higher temps, I use Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado oil which is good to 500 F. I find it at Costco for best price. I prefer to use it in salad dressings over EVO. By the way....no margarine in my house...it's BUTTER., again, just use in moderation.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i dont cook with coconut oil.. or olive oil.. i drizzle it on the food after its cooked.. my bad cholesterol was 180 and is now down to 103.. goal is to get it under 100 .. i swear by it .. alot of people tell me my skin looks good too . i have to believe that the oils contribute to that
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I ONLY use coconut oil. I cook in it, I use it as sunscreen (it's a natural one from the inside as well when you eat it) and I use it as moisturizer. It's great for everything & smells great. Tastes brilliant on toasted bread. Yumm.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    i dont cook with coconut oil.. or olive oil.. i drizzle it on the food after its cooked.. my bad cholesterol was 180 and is now down to 103.. goal is to get it under 100 .. i swear by it .. alot of people tell me my skin looks good too . i have to believe that the oils contribute to that

me too, same with the olive oil :drinker:
    My mom a makes coconut milk basmati rice that once it finishes, she puts coconut oil while still warm & though I don't eat rice anymore, back when I did, it was amazing! :wink:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My thoughts - it has definitely been shown to be beneficial to hair when applied directly before washing the hair. For the skin it has better than average penetrating ability and a little bit of natural SPF. Other than that, I'm not aware that it has definitely been shown to be beneficial when taken internally. Admittedly, I'm feeling to lazy today to peruse PubMed to check it out though.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great because of the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and it's anti fungal properties. Unlike other saturated fat it does not thicken blood it blends in well (see Dr. OZ snippet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tf3mQiNXI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jc69i4Ya4). It helps Boost Metabolism and Thyroid Function among other benefits. It should be unrefined for all the benefits.

11ay2qo.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I believe there has yet to be concrete proof to back the health hype - You can Google "coconut oil studies" and get a slew of info (what I just did).

I know one thing though, it's gosh darn heavenly on toast with or without mashed avocado.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    it's delicious in hot chocolate too!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Oh for sure!

I've even heard of putting it in coffee, but have yet to try.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use it as my moisturiser for my skin and hair!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses I was away all weekend and could not respond tilll today. I have been using it on my skin and in my hair but now will so some experimenting with cooking with it too :drinker: :bigsmile: