Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Increasing self-worth after years of bullying

Hi everyone,

For those who have been bullied, like me, how did you go about repairing your self-worth in your adulthood? This is something I really struggle with in terms of relationships with the opposite sex (i.e., feeling worthy of a relationship/happiness, feeling "good enough" for your partner).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Sadly new studies coming out show bullying can impact a person's entire life. It certainly has mine. I don't know how to answer your question, except to say that I absolutely will not tolerate being bullied by anyone. I'll walk out of the situation and the job, relationship, or social situation be damned.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    I don't expect it to not impact me at all, but certainly there are ways to improve the situation. I also don't tolerate ANY bullying whatsoever anymore, and good for you!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Honestly, just finding happiness for myself worked for me - part of that road was taking the step to get some counseling in my adult life. If you haven't, consider it :flowerforyou:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Therapy.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    I actually just started seeing someone but only have my second appointment today. I'm kind of headstrong, so I'm a bit wary about one person giving me advice can do... But I guess therapy is more than just giving advice, haha.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    I actually just started seeing someone but only have my second appointment today. I'm kind of headstrong, so I'm a bit wary about one person giving me advice can do... But I guess therapy is more than just giving advice, haha.

A good therapist/counselor will not give you advice, but pick your brain and get you thinking along a different line than you have been, so essentially you are doing the work yourself without realizing it - they help you see things differently.