How do you know if you're gaining muscle and not fat??

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    But I expect my biceps, quads and shoulders to get bigger as I gain muscle.....

But if it is 5lbs in a week it's probably water. Strength training makes your muscles retain water for awhile. They also visibly swell.

I would agree that the mirror is the best way to judge muscle vs. fat gain.

Also, you won't gain pounds of muscle unless you are eating MORE than your maintenance calories.
  • SkittlesMeLove
    Options
    If you started adding weight bearing exercise to your routine, you can expect temporary weight gain as your body holds on to water to protect and heal your muscles from your workout. Some people can gain up to 10 pounds temporarily and once your body adjusts, the weight will come back off. Don't stop the weight training - it is very good for you!

Thank you!! I was wondering what was going on with me. Ever since I've added weight training to my workout I've gained 5 pounds already! I was freaking out!!! LOL!!!
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you started adding weight bearing exercise to your routine, you can expect temporary weight gain as your body holds on to water to protect and heal your muscles from your workout. Some people can gain up to 10 pounds temporarily and once your body adjusts, the weight will come back off. Don't stop the weight training - it is very good for you!

How long does this adjustment tend to take?
    I started 30DS 17 days ago. At first, I shot up 4-5 pounds. It's come down, but I am still a half pound or so above my starting weight. I AM losing inches, and feeling stronger/better, so I am sticking to it - but I am wondering if this lack of loss is normal or if I should be expecting to eventually see a drop.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Ok well 5lb in a week isn't all muscle but there could be a number of factors involved that aren't fat. If you up your exercise regime your muscles tend to start storing more water and glycogen. This can make the scale go up quite a bit. I would say don't panic cos honestly unless you have been absolutely stuffing yourself. Like, training for an eating competition stuffing yourself you certainly have not gained 5lb of fat in a week.

It would probably be best for you to use one of those body fat% meters to take your reading about once a month. If that starts to creep up you probably need to make some changes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sweet necro.