Beginner Runner...

Options
1lexisva
1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
I have a hard time catching my breath...does anyone have advice on what to do so I can keep going instead of stopping in one minute..I would love to run...Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace. As a novice I'd suggest aiming for a pace that you can talk at. That'll probably feel ridiculously slow, but the main thing that you're aiming for now is continuous running rather than fast running.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    True..I was running on the treadmill at speed 5 and had to stop...I think I am going to do the couch to 5k app
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I used a C25K podcast about 16 months ago, currently working on half marathon training with a forecast completion of 1hr50.

It's well worth it.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Slow down and make sure you're taking full breaths rather than shallow ones. There are different breathing techniques on the internet if you're inclined to look but I say just remember to breathe in and out.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You don't need magical breathing techniques either - if you can't carry a conversation during a normal run, you're doing it wrong.
  • erkerns
    erkerns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some kind of C25K app. I recommend the Zombies, Run! 5k training app if you're into science fiction.

I've started up running a few different times, and I always find that it helps to do intervals. 1 min brisk walking, 30 secs slow running, then 1 min walking, 30 secs running... and so on. Your body has to get used to doing this; you can't expect it to run continuously right from the start. Do the same interval workout maybe 3 times, then after that, increase the running... 1 min brisk walking, 45 secs running, and so on. Figure out how fast you can increase it. Very soon you will be able to go 2 mins running, then 3, then 4, then... you get the idea :)
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I will look into the C25K :)
  • blazingsun14
    blazingsun14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A great way to start running is to take it slow. Don't worry about doing a run in record time. It'll get you no where.

The best way is to run for 2 minutes, then walk for a minute. Run for 2. Walk for 1. Keep doing that and eventually you'll be able to increase it like run for 5, walk for 1 etc. Eventually you'll be ale to run without stopping.

I was once in your shoes too, but do not fret! Your body will adapt if you keep running on a regular basis.

Feel free to add me :) Big time runner here.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check your posture too. If you're hunched over, it makes it harder to breathe. Running "tall" will also help prevent side stitches.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Slow down. You don't need magical breathing techniques either - if you can't carry a conversation during a normal run, you're doing it wrong.

Exactly this :)
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the recommendations of c25k and slowing down. I became a runner at the age of 43 with the c25k program - worked great! Speed and distance will come later, just focus on completing the times in the program for now, and go as slowly as needed to do so.

You can do it!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thank you:)
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said to slow down on your pace! Just go as slow as you need to go. Download the Couch 2 5k and follow that training program. As the weeks progress, your pace will naturally get faster! Good Luck!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I started cautiously running again last month.
    I did 200 steps running and 400 steps walking...
    Gradually I started improving!

Good luck!
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Slowing down is probably your best bet overall and trying to relax. Before I could worry about slowing down I had to calm down and relax. Running is supposed to be fun. So I had to breathe in 2 steps and breathe out 2 steps. It helped relax my arms, shoulders, and helped me not clinch my jaw. After awhile breathing just became natural after I relaxed. It was like taking a few deep breaths to lower your blood pressure and heart rate.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    True..I was running on the treadmill at speed 5 and had to stop...I think I am going to do the couch to 5k app

5 is too fast for a novice. Try 3.5 or slower to start.

C25K is wonderful. It made a runner out of me. It'll work for you, too. Good luck and join us here for lots of support and advice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check your posture too. If you're hunched over, it makes it harder to breathe. Running "tall" will also help prevent side stitches.

This was a help for me! I have been running since last July, and I'm now running for solid "blocks" of time (now up to 30 mins!). Was watching a You-Tube video of breathing techniques a while back & a guy was saying a way to do this while out running is to place your free hand against your clavicles (collar bones) and gently push back. This will help make sure you are running upright, and will help you with the breathing. I periodically do this to make sure I'm in good form. I'm still trying to do the whole "breathe in for 3, out for 2" thing. That takes work.

But I agree, the consistent 5 pace speed is high for a beginner. That is 1 of my "speed-work step paces".
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! 3.5 seems to slow when I try to run..I have been walking on 3.5 speed...I will try working on my breathing on Monday when I run outside..
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When you are first starting you might actually find yourself running even slower than you walk. Do not worry about speed at all at first. I felt like I was almost running in place when I started out. Once you are able to run 2 to 3 miles then you can start worrying about speed. I started out with a 18 minutes per mile pace and have finally made it to 13 minutes.