Green Tea and water

Options
Sorry this is probably a stupid question but when adding generic green tea from a tea bag to water should I add that to my cups of water count or just put it under green tea?

Replies

• dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not everyone agrees on this. Some people think that adding something to water changes water to something else and therefore should not be counted as water. Personally I consider hydration. So I count everything that is calorie free as water.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Personally I class any herbal or green tea as water. If it is made with water and has no calories to me it is just flavoured water.
  • Robinskii
    Robinskii Posts: 5
    Options
    That's kinda what I was thinking too, thanks for the reply.
  • Kornflake69
    Kornflake69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink alot of generic black iced tea and I add it under water....I don't know if that is correct or not, but thats how I roll...:drinker:
  • Robinskii
    Robinskii Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, think I'll do the same.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    i add all my unsweetend green tea, white tea, black tea, herbal teas etc.. as water.

I think the main issue at hand is hydration; drinks that contain a lot of caffeine can act as diuretics, such as coffee, which in large doses tends to dehydrate you.

green tea, black tea, oolong, etc... all contain small amounts of caffeine (approx. 26mg per 8 oz) but not nearly as much as coffee (approx. 95mg per 8oz). I think tea is, for the most part, safe enough to count as water as it probably wont dehydrate you due to it's caffeine content alone.

Unless perhaps you're drinking 6-9+ cups of tea in a sitting, in which case that might near 300mg of caffeine and, "Single servings of caffeine at doses exceeding 300mg may have a diuretic effect" (http://www.teaadvisorypanel.com/myths).
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I count unsweetened green tea as water but everyone has their opinion of this. Do what works for you.:drinker:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If I counted water, I would count my tea, my coffee, my soda, my milk, my juice, my watermelon and my water. If they have calories, I would just make sure to add it to my food diary too. Anything that adds to your hydration for the day can be counted.