Whats better first Cardio or weights?

Options
I hear so many different things and wanted a few opinions, when you are at the gym what works better for weight loss doing cardio first or doing weights?

THANKS!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is weight loss, and not strength, do a 15 minute warmup on the elliptical, then hit the weights and do circuit training.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit works for weight loss. For fitness, whatever you want to concentrate on be it strength or cardiovascular endurance would determine which you would want first/most.
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do strength, cardio, and then stretch if I have an hour at the gym. If I am forced by time to only pick one I do cardio. Just find what works best for you. All that matters is your verbs (what you do, move!).
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is better for weight loss, but for me cardio is better before weights. I find that lifting first makes my legs and arms sore which sometimes makes it harder for me to stay motivated to do my 30 minutes of cardio. If I do my cardio first, I feel like I can be stronger and faster. Then I do my weights and it is easier to do because I just have to tell myself 1 more time, 2 more times, 1 more set etc. A lot easier to convince myself with that then being sore and tired and saying 2 more miles lol.
  • bharatirats
    bharatirats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For instance, if your primary goal is to increase your aerobic endurance or lose body fat, then you should perform cardio first. If your primary goal is to increase muscular strength, then do strength training first. To get the most out of your workout, perform the exercise that is most important to your goals first, when you are not fatigued.

-by Air Force News

ideal would be to do these two forms of exercise on different days (or one in the morning and one in the evening), so that you can devote maximum effort and get the maximum benefit from each. Any time you do one followed by the other, the second one will suffer at least a little (although you may gradually improve your overall endurance this way).

-Dean Anderson, Certified Personal Trainer
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is weight loss, and not strength, do a 15 minute warmup on the elliptical, then hit the weights and do circuit training.

^ This. I do a fast run for 5 minutes on a mill, stretch, lift weights for 40 minutes, stretch again and do a slower run for another 5 minutes. Never had any troubles with joints, ligaments or stretched muscles.
  • clover04750
    Options
    I always used the treadmill to warm up, speed walk, and cool down. Then I did a routine of the weights and ended with a preset workout on the elliptical.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    For instance, if your primary goal is to increase your aerobic endurance or lose body fat, then you should perform cardio first. If your primary goal is to increase muscular strength, then do strength training first. To get the most out of your workout, perform the exercise that is most important to your goals first, when you are not fatigued.

This.

Do you want to be a runner* who lifts or a lifter who runs?

*insert cardio exercise of choice.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do weights first, which actually usually is some form of rehab from my physio or core work. Then cardio because when I do cardio I have nothing left to do lifting with...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I hear so many different things and wanted a few opinions, when you are at the gym what works better for weight loss doing cardio first or doing weights?

Calorie deficit leads to weight loss, CV work leads to a greater calorie deficit and improved cardiac efficiency. Depending on the type of CV session you do there are several different effects. If you're in calorie deficit then resistance training helps retain lean mass, if you go into surplus it'll help build mass.

So it all depends on your objectives, and what you're doing for your CV work.

Personally I'f suggest, for general objectives, you should split your CV and resistance into different days, but otherwise resistance then CV probably gives you most effect. If your priority is sports performance, then more likely the other way round.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    For performance? Pick the one that is most important to your current goal. For instance, maintaining/improving strength in season for an athlete - lifting should be secondary and sports-specific stuff (improving mile times, playing matches, skill work, etc) should come first and occupy more of your schedule overall.

On the other hand, if your performance goal is strength/muscle related, then the lifting should be your priority.

For weightloss? Probably irrelevant. That'll come down to overall calorie deficit. Do them in whatever order you like. As long as you enjoy your sessions, are consistently cutting fat and progressing you're doing it right.

ETA: spelling!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Originally, I was doing cardio, then weights. After meeting with a PT, per her advice, I started doing it reversed. Here is a link that is pretty similar to her explanation:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-or-strength-first