Fell off the wagon.. What to do?

Options
I went over my calorie budget BIG TIME today. MFP has me trying to stay at 1220 a day (this is not insane, I am short), but that also means a single piece of pie is like half my budget! I ate nearly twice as much as I should have today, even though I tried to cut back earlier in the day since I knew I would be going out to dinner.

Should I go under my calorie allowance for the next few days to make up for it? Or should
I just call it a wash and start tomorrow anew? I just feel like I undid an entire week of "being good" in a single night.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start over the next day.
  • pjp_t
    pjp_t Posts: 2
    Options
    Start fresh tomorrow. Don't try to catch up - it will just make everyday hard. Put today behind you and commit to stick to plan tomorrow. We all have these sorts of days. Look forward, not back!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Unless the wagon rolled over your legs and smashed them to bits, get back on it tomorrow. :)
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse. The 4th of July was a holiday. It's okay to go over on a holiday. Just don't make a habit of it. Tomorrow is a new day. :)
  • Charityn12
    Charityn12 Posts: 268
    Options
    Start over, we can do this!
  • Ridleyanne
    Options
    Easily done if you go out - as I did today. This is a problem we all face. So I'm starting in again tomorrow with new resolution. Go for it too. If we get enough exercise credit during the week that piece of pie can be enjoyed!! The fact that we are doing this programme means we are alf way to success.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Try to get some more exercise in to make up
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Firstly welcome to life we will all have days we go over how you deal with them is up to you my preference is to think ok its 1 day I wont weigh for a month and stick to my goal for a whole month, some people do an average so if you went over by 500 calories drop 100 calories over 5 days and back on track don't beat yourself up ive fallen off so many times but im accountable and I don't beat myself up and so think f*** it and carry on down the slope I think ok its done lets move on towards my goal and accept it will take a bit longer.
  • TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Human Race. Get back on.
  • whatamigettingmyselfinto
    Options
    Dust yourself off and get back on. Sometimes when I go over, I take those calories and cut 1/7th of them a day for the next week to balance it out, but that's only if I'm over by a lot.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Everyone has days where they indulge a little. Log it so you know why you haven't lost as much weight as expected and get back on the wagon.

Remember, an additional 1200 cals for the week will only result in you losing about a third of a pound less than you expected which I don't see as a nightmare.
  • SolemnScruffy
    Options
    Allowing yourself to "cheat" or not worry about your caloric goal a couple times a month is okay, at least IMO. It's not going to make or break your weight loss goals, and allowing yourself to indulge and then going back to the plan the next day will help you keep this up in the long run. ^_^

At least that's how I've approached this. Either way, like others have said, just start fresh tomorrow and don't fret over one day.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the wagon tomorrow. You have to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance level to gain even one pound. Very unlikely that you undid a whole week of good work with one day. Really… the only time a binge (or in your case, an extra piece of pie) is really harmful… is when you let it get you down and think you've royally screwed everything up. Tomorrow is a new day! You'll be fine!
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and GET BACK ON THE WAGON! :)
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Get back on!

Personally I would try and cut out (or exercise) the overage throughout the week.

No worries, don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to everyone.
  • bkk40in2011
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Everyone has days where they indulge a little. Log it so you know why you haven't lost as much weight as expected and get back on the wagon.

Remember, an additional 1200 cals for the week will only result in you losing about a third of a pound less than you expected which I don't see as a nightmare.

This. Sometimes it helps to put things in perspective.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Smile. Enjoy yesterday. Get back on track today. Maybe kick-start the day with a nice walk, ride, or run.

Treat days happen. They are AWESOME. Weight loss success is also MORE AWESOME. Without the occasional treat-day, it seems hard to stay on track (for me), so I just do them on occasion so I am not constantly in a state of deprivation.
  • freakhazerd2424
    freakhazerd2424 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just start new tomorrow. If I cut the extra calories over the next few days then maybe I would be more likely to binge by the end of next week. Which would put me in the same problem. Move forward