Insanity vs TurboFire vs T25 vs Body Revolution?

Options
izu87
izu87 Posts: 267 Member
Okay, so I'm back on the track to lose those last 10-15 kgs that separate me from my dream weight. I had to pause working out the past month and a half as my work got quite busy (got a promotion that included non stop traveling, meetings, tons of work) and with it I dropped all my restrictions on food and let myself eat normally to make something like a metabolism reset (used to eat gross about 1200-1300, net around 800) and with all that I gained back whatever little I had managed to lose during my first 3 months of Body Revolution.

Now that things are calming down, I've learned and read so much more about nutrition, I think it's about time to get my @$$ moving. And I've been wondering which workout program to pick. I've got just about all, including tons by Jillian Michaels, but for the time being I'm feeling torn between those four: Insanity, T25, TurboFire and Body Revolution. I want something to kick my *kitten*. And I want something that will challenge me. I did almost the entire Body Revolution and it was super fun, but I didn't manage to lose much weight - almost nothing, but then again I wasn't eating properly.

To be honest I am leaning towards Insanity, despite not being incredibly in shape, or towards TurboFire which seems fun. I did try a few T25's but I dunno.... didn't get hooked up. Which one would you recommend?

A bit of stats about me:
Female, 27 years. 171cm / 5.6ft, 75kg / 165 lbs - BMR 1555, TDEE at about 2130 to 2400 depending on the activity level, I intend on grossing about 1700 calories (I believe my math is correct and my activity is more towards TDEE of 2130).

So... what would you recommend?

Replies

• laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to insanity and ive only been doing it a week. I like it because i definitely feel the full body workout. It is a difficult workout and I'm glad i went into it with a very good cardiac base. I imagine T25 has less water breaks maybe??? The beginning workouts for insanity are really only about 40 minutes including a warm up and stretch. I have a hard time imagining getting as good of a workout in 25 minutes unless as I say they exclude water breaks and maybe some stretching(but i haven't done t25 so I don't know the program)
  • Mystique225to504
    Mystique225to504 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity myself and it is very difficult but I have lost 2 pant sizes from it. I am in terrible shape and my BMI is in the obese category right now. I have not done t25 but my husband has and so far he has left 5 pounds in 2 weeks from it and he doesn't restrict his diet other than caloric intake. I also know someone who is just finishing t25 and they lost 30 pounds from the program. granted they are heavier than you but that is significant amount of weight from 25 minute program. From what I am told, it is intense and there are no warm ups or breaks like insanity has. You have do that on your own time. Good luck with your decision and weight loss goal.
  • izu87
    Options
    The more I read about all of them, the more I lean towards Insanity myself...

As for T25 - it has no water breaks, no real warm up (some dynamic stretching) and hardly any stretching (2-3minutes at the end). I've tried it a few times before - here and there randomly as addition to my Body Revolution, but it never really got me hooked up. I can totally see it as an addition to something else, but nothing more. And I just read that one comment about how T25 was made - Insanity but softer, ripped off from the warm up and stretching - and there you go 25 minutes. Might be "optimized" but I personally have had troubles with not warming up before, so I think I'd stay away from it for now...

And to be honest - Insanity's warm up is enough to get me swimming in sweat, while T25 never got me to that point. Breaking a sweat - sure, but nothing like Body Revolution or Insanity (I've tried the first video a few times).
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have the Insanity vids and when I did them, I lost 55 lbs in 4 months...they're crazy intense, but yes, The warm-up and stretching are very important, and if you're not religious in doing it on your own, stick with Insanity. I am currently doing Tabata, but plan to incorporate 1 or 2 Insanity vids in per week to get a bit longer burn in.

Good luck!
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've done the full Insanity program twice through, nearly finished the T25 full three-month program, and I have also started Insanity Asylum (dipping my toes in with the odd workout on my day off, going to go whole-hog in two weeks when I complete T25).

My opinion is that the Alpha level of T25 is a really beginner-level workout, much easier than even the easiest Insanity workout. It's a good place to start if you are not in good shape and have trouble with Insanity. If you're able to get through a full Insanity workout, even with lots of breaks, you could start with the Beta level of T25.

T25 Beta is about the same intensity as the beginning level of Insanity. The Gamma level of T25 varies, but it's comparable to the Max level of Insanity for the most part. However Gamma level of T25 is nearly all strength training, lots of weight circuits and strength-building routines, less cardio. The cardio it does have, however, is extremely intense. Insanity Max is a good mix of strength and cardio, lots of interval and plyo.

Also, Insanity seems to be more based around interval training whereas the cardio in T25, while intense, is less interval-based. Plus, T25 requires you to have weights or resistance bands. No equipment is needed for Insanity.

Everyone is right that T25 doesn't have much stretching. IMO, warm-up stretching is not as important as cool-down stretching. There is a 3-minute cool-down stretch AFTER the 25-minute workout in T25. So the workouts are closer to 28 minutes long. Also there's a "stretch" video you're meant to do on one of your days off. I skip that and do yoga.

I got into amazing shape using Insanity, then I moved onto T25. I found Alpha ridiculously easy so I skipped the last three weeks of it and moved into Beta. Beta was more challenging but not really kicking my *kitten*. Gamma has some real challenges in it but I am able to complete the workouts pretty well. Given the choice between Insanity and T25 I would go Insanity all the way.

One is not "better" than the other, they are both awesome workout systems, it just depends a lot on how much time you have and what your goals are. You can also combine both systems if you want. The Insanity Max workouts are close to an hour long, so be realistic about what you can achieve. Lots of people (including me sometimes) just get lazy about doing such a long workout, but 25 minutes is something they can do.

Insanity Asylum is freaking nuts. It's very, very intense and a good next step after Insanity Max. But the workouts are also quite long, over an hour. I would never in a million years begin with Insanity Asylum.

TL;DR - Insanity is the way to go if you're only going to choose one. It will kick your *kitten* right into shape.
  • izu87
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback!

I'm an odd person - if something is not hard I simply cannot get motivated and I get so bored if it's not kicking my *kitten*... The harder it is, the harder I work to conquer it. And from what I've heard so far, and from what I've read the past 48 hours that I've been wondering which one to pick, I think that Insanity is going to be my choice.
  • DominiqueRobinson28
    DominiqueRobinson28 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great choice
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You may have already made your choice, but I wanted to add I am going into week 4 of T25, and I am down 10 pounds. I was a dancer all my life, and did lots of classes at the gym and cardio stuff. Alpha is fairly easy for me, but I am definitely sweaty at the end! One of the harder parts is learning what he'll do next. Once you get the hang of that better, it becomes easier, but if you put all of yourself into it, I still think you'll get a good workout. I think plank walks are challenging for everyone, and are working your core even if you don't feel it so much anymore. I am excited to get to the Beta round. And there's no warm up, but they all start slower, so it's not necessary. He does a cooldown, but I do my own having danced for so long I can stretch in my sleep, lol! The stretch video for Sunday is pretty good, and almost relaxing, but I do feel stretched out afterward. Also, double up day on Friday is pretty tough. Total Body Circuit and Ab Intervals were this Friday, and they are my two worst workouts, and I felt like my butt was kicked when I was done! :)
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have done all these programs and they all give results with the proper diet and dedication. If you do not eat right you will not see results with any of them.

It all comes down to what you want. Weight wise I lost the most with Turbo Fire. I say pick what interests you the most and go with it.
  • Malachai76
    Malachai76 Posts: 128
    Options
    I've done the full Insanity program twice through, nearly finished the T25 full three-month program, and I have also started Insanity Asylum (dipping my toes in with the odd workout on my day off, going to go whole-hog in two weeks when I complete T25).

My opinion is that the Alpha level of T25 is a really beginner-level workout, much easier than even the easiest Insanity workout. It's a good place to start if you are not in good shape and have trouble with Insanity. If you're able to get through a full Insanity workout, even with lots of breaks, you could start with the Beta level of T25.

T25 Beta is about the same intensity as the beginning level of Insanity. The Gamma level of T25 varies, but it's comparable to the Max level of Insanity for the most part. However Gamma level of T25 is nearly all strength training, lots of weight circuits and strength-building routines, less cardio. The cardio it does have, however, is extremely intense. Insanity Max is a good mix of strength and cardio, lots of interval and plyo.

Also, Insanity seems to be more based around interval training whereas the cardio in T25, while intense, is less interval-based. Plus, T25 requires you to have weights or resistance bands. No equipment is needed for Insanity.

Everyone is right that T25 doesn't have much stretching. IMO, warm-up stretching is not as important as cool-down stretching. There is a 3-minute cool-down stretch AFTER the 25-minute workout in T25. So the workouts are closer to 28 minutes long. Also there's a "stretch" video you're meant to do on one of your days off. I skip that and do yoga.

I got into amazing shape using Insanity, then I moved onto T25. I found Alpha ridiculously easy so I skipped the last three weeks of it and moved into Beta. Beta was more challenging but not really kicking my *kitten*. Gamma has some real challenges in it but I am able to complete the workouts pretty well. Given the choice between Insanity and T25 I would go Insanity all the way.

One is not "better" than the other, they are both awesome workout systems, it just depends a lot on how much time you have and what your goals are. You can also combine both systems if you want. The Insanity Max workouts are close to an hour long, so be realistic about what you can achieve. Lots of people (including me sometimes) just get lazy about doing such a long workout, but 25 minutes is something they can do.

Insanity Asylum is freaking nuts. It's very, very intense and a good next step after Insanity Max. But the workouts are also quite long, over an hour. I would never in a million years begin with Insanity Asylum.

TL;DR - Insanity is the way to go if you're only going to choose one. It will kick your *kitten* right into shape.

^This sums it up really well, like BoynautSoul I did insanity twice then alpha to gamma on t25 I got great results. I also found most of alpha to easy so after the first week i dropped cardio and speed 1.0 and replaced them with core cardio and speed 2.0 from beta. They are both great programs would do both insanity followed by t25
  • ichigofruit
    ichigofruit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you haven't heard much about TurboFire here, so I wanted to add my two cents! I bought Turbo a little over a month ago and although I really haven't been faithful to the program (I've missed probably 8 workouts and you're only supposed to take 1 rest day a week; I've also substituted other workouts some days) I've definitely seen results from it already. I'd say I've done about 3 weeks of Turbo consistently and I'm dropping right around that 2 lbs/week mark for healthy loss. I've also already seen a big jump in cardio endurance. It's a ton of fun and Chalene Johnson is a great trainer. I also love the classlike format of the DVD's. Turbo kicks your butt, but in a fun way! And based on results from other people I know, the program can drop a significant amount of weight and also helps tone while improving cardiovascular endurance. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer as best I can.
  • frozentrace
    frozentrace Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity myself and it is very difficult but I have lost 2 pant sizes from it. I am in terrible shape and my BMI is in the obese category right now. I have not done t25 but my husband has and so far he has left 5 pounds in 2 weeks from it and he doesn't restrict his diet other than caloric intake. I also know someone who is just finishing t25 and they lost 30 pounds from the program. granted they are heavier than you but that is significant amount of weight from 25 minute program. From what I am told, it is intense and there are no warm ups or breaks like insanity has. You have do that on your own time. Good luck with your decision and weight loss goal.

great job on losing 2 pant sizes :D
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have done all these programs and they all give results with the proper diet and dedication. If you do not eat right you will not see results with any of them.

It all comes down to what you want. Weight wise I lost the most with Turbo Fire. I say pick what interests you the most and go with it.

I absolutely agree with this. I think if you decide to start any of the programs, and you dedicate yourself to it, don't miss any workouts and at least eat sensibly, they're all going to work. If you have no weight to lose, that might not be the case, but if you are an average person with some weight to lose, I think whichever program interests you and you think you can stick to will work. I had been stuck in a rut for a long time, starting a diet, breaking it for a holiday or something, and starting again a month or so later. I've been doing T25 for a month, and I've been consistent, doing the workouts everyday and not having cheat days on my diet. Sometimes it is just a mental thing and mentally dedicating yourself to something, at least for me.