Am I getting enough sleep?

Options
I know it sounds strange that I'm asking about this before there really is even a problem, but I like to be thorough, so please excuse my worry.

I've been taking a new medication, and since I've started, I don't sleep as much. I sleep anywhere from 4 to 6 hours. 7 on an extremely good night. But when I wake up, I don't feel exhausted or sleep deprived. I'm just worried that if I keep going like that without doing anything about it, that it will take a huge toll on me later.
When I wake up, I'm going from that moment. I usually never sit down. I always have lots of energy and I love to be doing something. So I feel like I should be sleeping an adequate amount.
I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Recent research shows that people who get 7hrs sleep a night are more likely to be able to control their weight better. I would think carefully about the gains the new medication is giving you. Is it entirely neccesary?
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well, I was on a similar medication a while back and I assumed I didn't need it, so I quit taking it.
    A couple years later (now) I've realized that I've gotten so bad to the point that yes, I really do need it.
    There really are no other bad side effects. I mean, I still eat right and am active all day. And it's not a chore. I enjoy being healthy. I have energy all the time and am always in a good mood.
    Like I said, it's not really bothering me. But I'm just concerned it might later on.
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    If you don't mind... what's the medication & what's it treating?
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and work nights so I usually sleep between 4 - 6 hours. Some days are better than others but if I feel tired at any point during the day I try my best to find a time to nap, usually a 1-2 hour nap is enough and I am full of energy again. You can always talk to the doctor who prescribed your medicine to make sure it's not an unsafe side effect but if you feel ok then I think it's fine.

Sure 6-8 hours is best but there are a lot of people who have no choice and do just fine with less sleep but it's about how you feel.
  • hypojosie
    hypojosie Posts: 5
    Options
    I am wondering what kind of meds you are taking? Plenty of evidence to prove that we need 8 hours sleep to fuel metabolic processes and keep hormone levels on an even keel.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    Citalopram.
    It's an anti- depressant.
    But like I said, it really isn't bothering me. yet lol
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Citalopram.

Have you been taking them for long? Maybe its just an adjustment period that will settle over time. Do you feel as though they are helping you? If the answer is yes then I would keep taking them.

If you don't feel run down or over tired then I wouldn't worry too much.

I myself have been on antidepressants before & found they just weren't for me so I had to deal with my struggles in other ways. I do have friends & family though that say they work wonders for them so its all dependant on the person.

Also I am a sleeper! I need 8-9 hours otherwise I become very lethargic & disoriented, my partner on the other hand is good with 5-6. Again, if you feel ok & you're happy then keep up with the meds.

:flowerforyou:

ETA, Keep smiling, its a beautiful smile so you should be showing it off! :smile:
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    No. only like 3 weeks. So you may be right. It may be an adjustment period. It was just strange to me because he told me it would make me sleepy at first. I was sleepy for like a day, took a nap after work, and then everything was fine lol

They really do help. Like I said, I used to take them then stopped. I got to a point where i HAD to do something and they are really helping now and there really are no bad side effects because the sleep doesn't bother me.

And thank you so much :) You just made my day! lol
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sorry to crash your topic, but this is a similar question that I'm seeking help with!

I feel like I'm sleeping TOO much. I've been getting 10-11 hours sleep a night, usually I go to bed at 9:30 and get up at 8ish... is this too long? I heard sleeping too much can have negative effects too...
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    I'm honestly not too sure. I think its what you're comfortable with and what you feel good with. Because everyone's body is different. Because like I said, they say I'm not getting enough but I feel just fine. How do you feel?
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Citalopram.

yeah, I took that and I couldn't sleep either. I take it for SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in the wintertime. Never again...I'll take a trip to Hawai'i next year for a month instead. I need my zzzzzzzzz's.

Tell your doctor this side effect, maybe they can adjust the dosage. I started taking half the script (under my dr's advice) and it helped with the insomnia.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the amount of sleep people needs varies from person to person. I've not heard of a medication making you need to sleep less... just for comparison, if you're sleep deprived because of caffeine, you feel crap the next day. So it's not the same as what you describe. So long as you're not forcing yourself to stay awake when you want to sleep I really don't think you need to worry. Apparently Margaret Thatcher only slept 3-4 hours a night, and she ran an entire country for more than a decade.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just read that it's an antidepressant

it's possible that you're sleeping better now than before (quality of sleep matters) and that's why you need less sleep.

you should discuss side effects with the doctor but if you feel fine and don't feel sleep deprived then I think you're not?
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    That's probably it honestly. My quality of sleep is WAYYYY better.
    Im just a rediculous warry wart and wanna get everyone's opinion lol
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I´m concerned about the medication you are taking in general and I advice to watch the videos of the CCHR http://www.cchr.org/
    Psychotropic drugs are very dagerous! And alternative methods to treat a sad mood are available.

About the sleep: about 7 hours are healthy. some need a little bit more, some need less. Usually depressed/sad people sleep more than those who are in a good mood.

The issue is: What are you going to do about it? I mean: we can tell you the 7-hour-sleep-is-great-rule BUT you probably won´t be able to force your body to sleep while you are on drugs like this. Unless you are taking other drugs against the "side effects" (in fact they are no side effects, they are unwanted effects)

I advice to do some research on that webpage I mentioned earlier. You can also find there doctors that help you to come off these drugs (search by state is possible). I´m very sure you don´t need those drugs. :flowerforyou: And once you are off of them your sleep won´t be a problem anymore and you will just sleep like normal people :wink:
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What time do you take it? I also take citalopram , and I take it in the morning. I first tried taking it in the afternoon or evening, and I couldn't sleep.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    Well, I take them for manic depressive bipolar, anger management, and stress induced anxiety. It was affecting me at work and I couldn't have that because I take my job very seriously and it really has helped. I don't know what else I would do about all of that?

I take them in the morning. I would forget if I took them in the afternoon lol
    I have a routine.
    Weekends I take it, eat, and workout.
    Weekdays I take it, eat and go to work lol