getting out of starvation mode without gaining weight?

Options
I started out my diet eating 1200 calories a day, and I lost weight gradually and in a healthy way. As this proceeded, I started eating less and less to 800, 600 and now this week, I've been eating 400-500 calories a day. (and I've lost weight) My body is probably in starvation mode and I want to eat more, but would that make me gain all the weight back? What should I do?

Replies

• Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    First, I think you should contact your physician. I'm not a doctor, but depending on your weight I don't see eating that little every day as being healthy. Your health should come first and then find a plan where you can continue to lose weight the healthy way. Maybe consult a dietician; I did that the first time on MFP and it was telling at my weight, which is a LOT higher than yours, that I was in starvation mode. I am disabled so I'm not able to do traditional walking, running, etc., but do seated exercises and it's amazing how much I can get my heart rate up with those. Please don't starve yourself; get some professional help.

Chris
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Couple of red flags in your post. Why did you start with such a low goal and why is it getting lower. Starvation mode should not be your concern. I am worried about your mental health and the possibility of this slipping into an ED
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Regaining after a very long stint with low calorie disordered eating is generally something your doctor should guide you through.
    Go talk to your doctor as soon as you can and be honest about your eating habits and emotions concerning weight gain.

If you've only been eating that way for like, a month, and you're wanting to up your calories: you will gain water weight (probably not much fat) at first after upping your calories. Nothing to worry about, but if weight is all that concerns you, rather than overall health, go talk to your doctor. Maybe a therapist. Or even a family member who really cares about you.
  • Barbeight
    Barbeight Posts: 3
    Options
    Your body needs to get in at least 1200 calories just to exist-- that amount will fuel only the most basic functions (like your heart beating and your lungs expanding to breathe in air-- it doesn't even cover digestion!!), so no, you won't gain "real" weight. Like Katerina said, the scale may go up a bit due to retaining water. Please start eating more immediately and don't weigh yourself for a week-- this will give your body time to adjust the calorie changes and hopefully balance out any water retained.

As others have mentioned, it may be a good idea to speak with a dietician or counselor, but I would not wait to increase your calories-- you should do this ASAP!
  • Ryapm
    Ryapm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    > 1200 you will not gain weight. You lose weight in a deficit. Calculate your total daily energy expenditure this is the amount of calories you can consume without gaining or losing weight.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

In order to ensure adequate body composition you would also aim to hit your macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein) and not just calories. Your body needs all of them to be strong and healthy.

Enjoy
  • greenteafairy
    greenteafairy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the red flags. It sounds like you're starting to restrict your calories. As someone who has been fighting an eating disorder for 3 years I think you should definitely see your physician ASAP to nip this in the bud. They can also guide you through increasing your calorie intake and determining what a good amount of calories for you would be.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Get off the internet and Talk to a REAL Professional. ASAP
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yes, contact a doctor or a mental health counselor. Where do you see this going? Please find someone to talk to before you do damage to your health.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You need to get help immediately! For your HEAD! You need to sort your issues out girl.

My story began like yours...I began my 'new and improved' eating plan and started to lose a bunch of weight. I kept adjusting the amount of calories/day until I was existing minimal amounts each day. Then my body began to shut down...hair fell out, lost major muscle mass - hurt to walk and could NOT go up stairs, low heart, severe muscle cramps, all body hair fell out, the list went on and on...

I ended up in emergency and then eventually was put in the hospital last year for many months.

I'm sure you do NOT want this for your future girl! Get what you need to help yourself - start with your doctor and be absolutely truthful.

For me, it's been years since this began this crazy life style and I struggle to this day.

Write to me if you need.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a medical professional. Good luck
  • tjsims8
    tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've done this! I was netting about 400 cals a day. I increased to 1200 and I gained 1-2lbs before I started losing again. I was expecting to gain more. If you want to make sure you don't gain, I suggest gradually increasing by 200 til u get to your caloric goal
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You are starving yourself and borderline anorexic .. see a doctor.
  • carlyraer
    carlyraer Posts: 9
    Options
    do not starve yourself it is not healthy. i starved myself and now i only weigh 88 lbs. and it ruined my life
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry reading this post.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You are experiencing a slide into eating disorder territory, and need to talk to a professional ASAP.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    I've done this! I was netting about 400 cals a day. I increased to 1200 and I gained 1-2lbs before I started losing again. I was expecting to gain more. If you want to make sure you don't gain, I suggest gradually increasing by 200 til u get to your caloric goal

You didn't gain fat. It was water/glycogen and stored food in your stomach. It is impossible to gain fat on 1200cals/day. And yes, she's anorexic. I wouldn't be surprised if bulimic as well.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    I started out my diet eating 1200 calories a day, and I lost weight gradually and in a healthy way. As this proceeded, I started eating less and less to 800, 600 and now this week, I've been eating 400-500 calories a day. (and I've lost weight) My body is probably in starvation mode and I want to eat more, but would that make me gain all the weight back? What should I do?

Seek professional medical/psychological help. Now. You have an eating disorder.