I need help w a good tasting slim filling shake

Options
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone can recommend me a vanilla flavor protein shake that controls hunger and is GOOD tasting. The best tasting one so far for me is the Special K but it does not control my hunger an hour after I'm hungry, I tried herbalife and it was the worst chalky taste I tried the vanilla and the cookies and cream. I basically want to replace two meals in hopes to be able to loose some weight, I don't have control over food this is why the shakes seem to be a good idea for me besides that I dislike cooking, I thank everyone for your input.

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Special K shakes are full of preservatives. Skip them.

Make your own shakes.

Go to a health store like GNC and buy vanilla protein powder. I've heard good things about Isopure.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Most protein shakes are chalky.

Curious, is there a reason you want a shake over food?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I know this won't be especially helpful but I sort of gave up on shakes making me full and just started eating real food. I eat a plain turkey burger and a big bowl of veggies for about 350 calories and I am pretty well set for a few hours. Real food is actually pretty easy to fit into the diet, it's just all the extra stuff that adds in the calories (bread, sauces, sides). If you are going to try to do shakes, you might want to try something simple like meat and veggies to see if that does a better job keeping you full.

Anyway, good luck!
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    EAS Lean 15 Vanilla Protein Powder is really filling when made with milk, low calorie, and you can add it to coffee if you'd like. Super yummy that way.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    pure protein vanilla creme shake - there's a 21 gram of protein version and a 35, as well. i'm just drinking a 21 gram one, and it's not chalky and i actually prefer the vanilla to the chocolate. they have them at trader joe's, but i see them for sale online, as well.

that being said, it has virtually no carbs (just fiber) or fat, so if you're looking for something to replace them, you might not find this the best shake... or you could just have something with it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I make these and like them...

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
    Hershey's Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened Powder, 1 tbsp (5g)
    Bell Plantation - Pb2 - Powdered Peanut Butter (Net Carbs), 12 g (2tbsp)
    Sprouts Farmers Market - Soy Protein Powder, 24 g
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Drink, 1 cup (8 fl. oz)
    Chiquita - Banana Small (6"-7"), 2 Banana
    Pictsweet - Chopped Spinach, All Natural, Frozen, 1 cup (81g)

That usually keeps me full.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I eat real food. Real food is filling and is very tasty.
  • Enlightened2014
    Options
    Arbonne Essentials - Vanilla Protein Shake Mix is the best tasting protein shake I have ever tried. They are not cheap but taste awesome, and 20gm vegan protein with 15carbs. I blend with ice & taste like a real milk shake, I can hide all kinds of other supplements meal replacement powers, super greens, etc and still Arbonne overrides the taste.

They are a MLM and worth becoming a distributor like I did just to get the discount. I can sell you or you can purchase on Amazon just to give a try and see for yourself how it tastes.

I use my Vitamix and add all kinds of things that just don't taste very good, and the vanilla and especially their chocolate will hide almost anything you can put in the shakes.
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    VegaOne or Plant Fusion protein powders. One scoop of either added to a cup of water or the milk of your choice is phenomenal.

Personally, I love adding fruit or juiced greens to my protein powders. It adds to the calories, but keeps me fuller for longer. Protien and fiber keeps you full. :)

The pre-made protein shakes tend to taste like tin. Icky as heck. For the most part those pre-made ones are supposed to be paired with things, not an actual complete meal.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a vanilla kind of girl too and unless it's going to fill me up, I don't bother with it. The ones I reach for are: GNC Whey Amp Protein Powder and Shakeology Vanilla.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I eat real food. Real food is filling and is very tasty.

Having done the protein shake thing, I'll go with this too. I've gotten to the point where whey is for the times I can't get real food for whatever reason.
  • DonnaMarie1024
    DonnaMarie1024 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As I write this, I am drinking my lunch protein shake from Arbonne. I started my 28 day detox program with Arbonne products on May 19 and I'm still going strong. I never thought at 51 I could change my eating habits and lose some weight, without starving myself.
    I substitute a breakfast and lunch most days with a shake. I love these healthy shakes, I make them with unsweetened almond and coconut milk, the vanilla protein powder, fiber boost, and a bunch of fruit and vegetables. the calories don't come from the fruit and veggies, but from the protein shake powder and fiber boost. These are not chalky at all! oh, and I do not miss "food" because I have a lighter, healthier dinner each night. I have shopped local for other protein powders, but I have found nothing that compares to Arbonnes. I would suggest seeking out these products for a healthy meal replacement.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd get a good protein powder (from Vitamin Shoppe, vitacost dot com, etc) and supplement it with some beef gelatin powder. I know it sounds gross but there is no taste to the gelatin. Each tablespoon will add 35 calories and 9 extra grams of protein to the shake (my protein powder is 94 calories per scoop). The gelatin also adds fiber, which will help with the fullness and collagen, which helps with improving the quality of hair, skin and nails (kind of like an anti-aging cream for the inside, where it counts).

The above, blended with some almond milk, a few frozen strawberries/other berries and 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil would round it out nicely to about 350 calories, plenty of protein, quality carbs and good fat to help keep you satiated.

I promise the beef gelatin doesn't taste like anything lol :noway: