Night eating/binging

Options
I searched this topic and read the two previous threads I found, but the solutions offered did not apply in my case (i.e., already get plenty of fiber, fat, calories, exercise, etc.)...

Really hoping someone has some insight into this, because it is always my downfall. Yesterday, case in point: had eaten all my calories (plus exercise calories) and went to bed. Got OUT of bed at 10:30 and proceeded to eat about 900 more calories (chips and bean dip w/cheese, cereal, protein bar, etc.).

This happens way too much! My doctor gave me vitamin D when I told her I was having problems with binging (she did bloodwork and found that as the only problem). She also tried me on Belviq, which was not effective for me. I have insomnia, too, which is part of the problem because if I could just GO THE HECK TO SLEEP, I wouldn't get up and eat...duh :(
However, there is literally NOTHING I haven't tried for the insomnia; it's been a life-long struggle. I currently take Xanax about every 3rd or 4th day to sleep as that is the only thing effective.

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing any advice or from someone that has overcome this problem? Seriously, it is my greatest self-sabotage :(
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Each person's life situation is different. What works for one person may not work for another, because the core reason for the binging is different, so I am only speaking for myself. For me, I use food to fill a void. Once I figure out what is causing the void, I believe the night binging will stop.

I also suffer from insomnia. But I do not eat if I get out of bed in the middle of the night, so I don't have any suggestion there. My dangerous time is the time after dinner until bed time, when I am left to my own devices.

The night time binging is only a symptom. Once you figure out the reason, the binging should stop.

PS -- I looked at your diary. A 1200 calorie day isn't enough food, especially if you exercise. Maybe you are binging in the middle of the night AND not sleeping because you are hungry. Try slowly increasing your calorie goal to 1400-1500 a day, and see if it makes a difference.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Each person's life situation is different. What works for one person may not work for another, because the core reason for the binging is different, so I am only speaking for myself. For me, I use food to fill a void. Once I figure out what is causing the void, I believe the night binging will stop.

I also suffer from insomnia. But I do not eat if I get out of bed in the middle of the night, so I don't have any suggestion there. My dangerous time is the time after dinner until bed time, when I am left to my own devices.

The night time binging is only a symptom. Once you figure out the reason, the binging should stop.

PS -- I looked at your diary. A 1200 calorie day isn't enough food, especially if you exercise. Maybe you are binging in the middle of the night AND not sleeping because you are hungry. Try slowly increasing your calorie goal to 1400-1500 a day, and see if it makes a difference.

This makes sense... I have wracked my brain trying to pinpoint the 'void' to no avail. I honestly feel HUNGRY at the time and lie in bed thinking about food until I get up and eat :(

Thank you for your reply!
  • prism1968
    Options
    Just saw your edit...
    My diary isn't totally accurate, because I don't log everything (like coffee creamer, condiments, raw non-starch vegetables, etc.) . Whatever the daily shows, I generally have about 150 over that anyway, but I have been adding more food during the day.

MFP put me at 1,200, and when I checked offline, I found...

BMR is:
    1198 CALORIES/DAY
    TDEE is:
    1752 CALORIES/DAY

So, even if I follow the TDEE method it puts my calories super-low, ugh!
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. I often can't settle enough to sleep until 5am and i don't wake up again till lunchtime. I also take vit D because my GP found i had a severe deficit of it in my system. I've been suffering with insomnia for 15 years and so far haven't been able to find anything that has worked for me. Most medications i've tried have the opposite effect and make me hyper for some reason.

If you are hungry could you try having healthy snacks? I have dried fruit and seeds and things to hand for if i get hungry in the night because they aren't bad for calories and they are only small and not massive calories.
  • eihope
    eihope Posts: 5
    Options
    This is my downfall time as well. I rarely ever have a problem eating right during the day - but after dinner - that's the problem. I think part of it for me is boredom or fatigue. I have been getting into that watching TV mode while eating and playing on the computer. Part of it is because my husband works nights so I eat dinner alone. After a long day at work, I am sometimes too tired to really want to cook - and since it's only me... that's where the problem begins. I need to buy some quick healthy meals - like already prepared salads, maybe even some frozen meals that I can just pop in the microwave. And I need to keep myself distracted - not just the TV or computer. Maybe I can come home and go for a walk first - or go for a walk and then go home. I have solutions and I tend to do them for about a week - and then I fall again. Everything good I have done gets wiped out and I am back to square one again, like now. I am getting so - no, I already am so frustrated with myself - and that doesn't get me anywhere. So, I am going to begin again.
    Sometimes I think " if I could just keep my mouth shut" (from eating) Happy 4th!
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you don't have your activity level correct -- both on MFP and whatever TDEE calculator you use. Are you using sedentary? Because you seem to exercise more than sedentary.

Redo your calculations, using lightly active and see how that changes things. This is all an experiment. Be your own lab rat and fiddle with things til you find the right combination of activity and calories and weight loss.
  • prism1968
    Options
    I have this problem as well. I often can't settle enough to sleep until 5am and i don't wake up again till lunchtime. I also take vit D because my GP found i had a severe deficit of it in my system. I've been suffering with insomnia for 15 years and so far haven't been able to find anything that has worked for me. Most medications i've tried have the opposite effect and make me hyper for some reason.

If you are hungry could you try having healthy snacks? I have dried fruit and seeds and things to hand for if i get hungry in the night because they aren't bad for calories and they are only small and not massive calories.

Sorry to hear you've had this mess for 15 years, but glad to know I'm not the only one... I agree about the opposite effect in meds. Nyquil, for instance, made me stay awake like 36 hours!

I do try to go down the 'healthy' path first. For instance, last night I started with applesauce and whole grain biscuits... but it just keeps coming back.
    Thank you for your reply and I hope you get some relief from your insomnia :)
  • prism1968
    Options
    This is my downfall time as well. I rarely ever have a problem eating right during the day - but after dinner - that's the problem. I think part of it for me is boredom or fatigue. I have been getting into that watching TV mode while eating and playing on the computer. Part of it is because my husband works nights so I eat dinner alone. After a long day at work, I am sometimes too tired to really want to cook - and since it's only me... that's where the problem begins. I need to buy some quick healthy meals - like already prepared salads, maybe even some frozen meals that I can just pop in the microwave. And I need to keep myself distracted - not just the TV or computer. Maybe I can come home and go for a walk first - or go for a walk and then go home. I have solutions and I tend to do them for about a week - and then I fall again. Everything good I have done gets wiped out and I am back to square one again, like now. I am getting so - no, I already am so frustrated with myself - and that doesn't get me anywhere. So, I am going to begin again.
    Sometimes I think " if I could just keep my mouth shut" (from eating) Happy 4th!

I like the idea of finding an activity to replace the eating... I used to crochet, maybe I'll dig that stuff out and keep it by the bed. Happy 4th to you!
  • prism1968
    Options
    My guess is that you don't have your activity level correct -- both on MFP and whatever TDEE calculator you use. Are you using sedentary? Because you seem to exercise more than sedentary.

Redo your calculations, using lightly active and see how that changes things. This is all an experiment. Be your own lab rat and fiddle with things til you find the right combination of activity and calories and weight loss.

Thanks, I did put that I exercise 5 days a week (on the TDEE site) and that I was moderately active on the MFP. I agree about the experiment thing... I'm going to keep tweaking. I just KNOW the night binging sucks for me because it defeats all the progress I make during the day, blah :(
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble figuring out how a person that needs(wants) to lose 40 pounds and exercises 5x/week can have a TDEE in the 1700's.

I am 5'5 and 160 pounds. I need to lose 30 pounds. If I put in 5x/week exercise, my TDEE is over 2000!

The only way I could get the calculator to give a TDEE below 1800 was to put in perfectly normal to already low height/weight ratios.

Could you give your age, height, and weight?
  • prism1968
    Options
    I'm having trouble figuring out how a person that needs(wants) to lose 40 pounds and exercises 5x/week can have a TDEE in the 1700's.

I am 5'5 and 160 pounds. I need to lose 30 pounds. If I put in 5x/week exercise, my TDEE is over 2000!

The only way I could get the calculator to give a TDEE below 1800 was to put in perfectly normal to already low height/weight ratios.

Hi, I'm 5'0" and currently at 140 (Goal is 100). I'll be 46 years old next week. I put accurate info into the TDEE calculator, including 5 x a week exercise. I used: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • eihope
    eihope Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm trying. I know what I need to do - it's just the doing part. I also think if I can move my dinner time later into the evening, I will be less hungry and munchy in the evening, Well - I guess I just need to take it a day at a time.
  • tgeonetta
    tgeonetta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue for years, I started a supplement called Plexus. Really helped with sleeping all night and great energy through the day. I dont want to plug diet supplements, but this one did help. If you want more info on it PM me.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm 5'0" and currently at 140 (Goal is 100). I'll be 46 years old next week. I put accurate info into the TDEE calculator, including 5 x a week exercise. I used: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Scooby's says you should have around 1641 per day (that is with a 20% deficit, actually you might be better at 15), 2051 calories/day to maintain. For the site you posted, the Miffin-St. Jeor calculation is way too low (I noticed that quite a while back), somebody said that is broken. Try this one if you know your body fat%, http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ or use Scooby or one of the other equations on the site you posted. You should be a lot more with a 20% deficit, which is pretty aggressive, you don't want to go lower than that if you are not in obese range. You will lose more muscle if you don't eat enough, and the muscle is what makes you look toned.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My mother had exactly this problem - couldn't get back to sleep until she had got something to eat. She started to get on top of it when she made her bedtime a bit later and had something small to eat just before she went to bed. Everyone is different so I am not going to say that this is the magic bullet that you need, but it may be a place to start.
  • prism1968
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful responses!
    I had no idea I was using the wrong numbers on that site :(