Rash from Fitbit Flex?

Options

Replies

• wrenabadia
    wrenabadia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Force and got a nastyrash on my wrist under where the metal is after about 2 months of wearing it. I think it's because of the nickel although it's weird to me that it took this long for it to develop. I also wonder if the hole where the charger goes allows for bacteria to develop while I'm sweating. I treated the rash like a fungus.. with athletes foot cream medication and it went away.

I switched the fitbit to the other wrist while the rash heals and covered the metal portion inside the band with medical tape (the fabric kind). I swap out with fresh medical tape each time I charge it and it's been perfect. No irritation whatsoever.

I know it's gross and silly that I don't just exchange it, but I love this dang thing!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine in the shower and I also take it off at night because I'm not really all that interested in the sleep pattern results.
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Force but have the rash on my wrist. I am just waiting for the One to arrive since they offered it with a refund when I told them about the rash. I have just been clipping it around one of my belt loops during the day at work, evenings are a little harder since I usually change into comfy stretchy pants. My steps counts have been way low because of this.
    At least they are willing to work with people who are having problems and they have been upfront about the issue
  • thiagorobis
    Options
    I'm a first-time user of the Fitbit here in Brazil, and also developed a cutaneous rash in place of the bracelet, and the use of it already suspended by my doctor.
    Have requested a refund for the Fitbit, just like to know how they will deal with international clients.
  • Kfogerson
    Options
    I have had my Flex since Christmas and not had any problems until this weekend. Mine is worn very loose, probably 2 fingers between my skin and the Flex. I now have the rash :0( I love my fitbit and am sad that I will have to give it up. I emailed them today. I took a picture of my rash just in case they need it. Does anyone know what they end up doing or how long it takes? THANKS!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I have had my Flex since Christmas and not had any problems until this weekend. Mine is worn very loose, probably 2 fingers between my skin and the Flex. I now have the rash :0( I love my fitbit and am sad that I will have to give it up. I emailed them today. I took a picture of my rash just in case they need it. Does anyone know what they end up doing or how long it takes? THANKS!

It doesn't take long..you might go back and forth with them a few times through email..but they'll offer a refund or a trade for the Fitbit One. I traded for the One. It took a bit to adjust to the different style..but no rash! :)
    Anyway, they'll send you a return label and once you send your Flex back, they'll either send your refund or the One, whichever you choose. Good luck! :)
  • MelieLouise
    Options
    I have created a Facebook group for user of Fitbit who have developed the rash/blisters/scaly thick skin. Search for Fitbit Rash. I'd love to hear from others and see their photos of their "skin irritation", which for the record is really burning me 9 days in.

See you there!
  • KathleenFastre2013
    Options
    I also have developed a rash from my Fitbit Flex - I thought this was strange since most of the complaints are from the Fitbit Force.
  • J0rk
    J0rk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Only the Force was recalled, not the Flex.

I have a Force and have had zero problems with it, BUT

1) I wear it somewhat loose (I can fit two fingers between it and my wrist pretty easily)

2) NEVER wear it in the shower. I don't care if FitBit claims you can, why would you do this? This seems like a complete no brainer to me.

3) I rinse mine off with water and a mild soap (hand soap) and dry it a couple times a week.

I think a lot of the problems with skin irritation would be gone if people followed these 3 things.
  • jasashboog
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and have had it since mid January........I LOVE IT........BUT, just discovered that I must have an allergy to the nickel that's used on the band (yes, I wear the ugly red rash ????). I've tried applying clear polish to the underside of the band where the nickel is exposed to my skin with hopes that this will help............anyone else suffering from this issue???????
  • ciannaps
    ciannaps Posts: 1
    Options
    Careful with your Fitbit One, too. I get a rash from it any time I clip it somewhere that it's touching my skin (bra, waistband). It's a serious bummer for workout clothing and for days I want to wear a dress. I haven't figured out a solution yet.
  • Ronyvy
    Ronyvy Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been using the Fitbit Flex for almost a year. I've become extremely dependent on this thing and have had the exact same problem with skin irritation. I'm a light brown brother so the huge dark patch that developed on my wrist was pretty noticeable. I eventually thought of a solution that has been working for me. I don't know if anyone else has suggest this but... I bought some industrial strength velcro from Walmart (you can also buy it from Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace), and stuck the fuzzy side on the inside of the wristband, then trimmed the edges to fit the band. You can't see the velcro strip at all and it keeps the wristband from touching my skin. Unless the fuzzy velcro material is also an allergen for you, this may work. I still wear it fairly loose as well. Happy activity tracking!
  • ShannanDennison13
    ShannanDennison13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ve had my fitbit flex since Christmas , and in the last few months I had to stop wearing it bc of a rash . I always took my fitbit flex off whenever I showered . I don't know the cause . I thought maybe somehow I got something on it for it to make me react , so I used a Q-tip and lightly went over the bracelet part with rubbing alcohol , to disinfect anything that could of been on it . Than I rinsed of with water . Let fully dry for two days . I put it back on and within 12 hours I woke up with the rash starting at were it clips together . I haven't worn it since . I am bummed out that I can't wear it without getting a ugly rash .
  • kixx64
    kixx64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I really enjoy the fitbit tracking, but don't enjoy the swollen, itchy, painfilled rash I get when I use the band.
    After the recall with the fitbit force (not the flex???wait what???) for exactly the same problem, I thought perhaps they would change the materials they use on the bands.
    Ordered a new band. Wore it (without the fitbit itself) for one day. Took it off and went to bad. Awoke in the middle of the night with itching burning wrist.
    I'm upset, because I want to track activity / sleep / etc and I like the product. But I'm going to have to invest in an alternative (though I am going to try that velcro lining concept. Nailpolish barrier didn't work, but maybe that will).

I'm just surprised that, with so many people experiencing this with the flex product, no recall was made on it - only on the force.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I really enjoy the fitbit tracking, but don't enjoy the swollen, itchy, painfilled rash I get when I use the band.
    After the recall with the fitbit force (not the flex???wait what???) for exactly the same problem, I thought perhaps they would change the materials they use on the bands.
    Ordered a new band. Wore it (without the fitbit itself) for one day. Took it off and went to bad. Awoke in the middle of the night with itching burning wrist.
    I'm upset, because I want to track activity / sleep / etc and I like the product. But I'm going to have to invest in an alternative (though I am going to try that velcro lining concept. Nailpolish barrier didn't work, but maybe that will).

I'm just surprised that, with so many people experiencing this with the flex product, no recall was made on it - only on the force.

You can contact Fitbit customer service and file a report. they will replace your Flex with the One if you choose to not just return it. That's what I did and I haven't had a problem with the One.
  • HypnoWhizz
    HypnoWhizz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit Flex for just over a week and got the rash on day 2. Solution - Don't wear in the shower and once you're dry, put a little talcum powder on your wrist and rub it in before putting the band on (to really dry the skin). Result - "Rash" has dried up and no more itching etc and can wear overnight with no problem. I sometimes get a very similar rash without the FitBit when it's really hot and my Doc thought it might be blocked pores? If you believe its a nickel rash you can get plastic clips from many sellers on FleaBay. I also had a Vidonn bracelet prior to the Fitbit, same sort of band, with no problems at all??
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've had my Flex for almost a year, take it off only to charge, and never had a rash.

Anyone experiencing problems should contact Fitbit support. Perhaps they'll replace your Flex with one of their clippy trackers?

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a latex/plastics/oil allergy and so I want a fit flex but am afraid I'll have the same problem... cortizone 10 is my best friend when hives show up. Maybe put cortizone on at night before bed and wear flex only during day? Could be an allergy reaction.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Only the Force was recalled, not the Flex.

I have a Force and have had zero problems with it, BUT

1) I wear it somewhat loose (I can fit two fingers between it and my wrist pretty easily)

2) NEVER wear it in the shower. I don't care if FitBit claims you can, why would you do this? This seems like a complete no brainer to me.

3) I rinse mine off with water and a mild soap (hand soap) and dry it a couple times a week.

I think a lot of the problems with skin irritation would be gone if people followed these 3 things.

/\ This. I've had mine for over a month, taking off only to shower and charge. I had a couple of hot days working in the yard after which I'd left it on during showers; when I took it off to charge, not only was it suctioned into the band by the moisture, but it was gross in there.

The posts about antifungal/Tinactin helping means that the sweat and moisture were causing a fungal skin rash.

If you're like me and don't want to take it off:
    - Buy an extra band from eBay for $9, and wash and swap them out to dry, or
    - Take out the Fitbit, wash the band, and let it dry overnight, or
    - Wear it around a belt loop while your rash heals. You can secure with a little #83 O-ring over the closure (these are $3 for a box of 10 in the plumbing section of the hardware store, but going for $5 apiece on eBay).
    - If you move to your other wrist, remember to update your settings for dominant/non-dominant hand.

However, it's nice to hear about Fitbit's great customer service for the individuals who have contacted them!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    It's a known issue with the Force. I got a rash from the force and don't have known allergies. So it's possible that you got it with the Flex too.