Difference between normal yogurt and greek???

Options
What's the difference between normal yogurt like silhouette/yoplait/or activia and greek yogurt?? Greek is way more expensive, thicker and has more protein....is there any other benefits or is that it? greek yogurt seems very popular lately so I'm curious

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is made in Greece ;-)

Greek style yoghurt (and greek yoghurt) involves straining off the whey so it has less carbs and more fat %. Good ones are 10% fat where they've used cream in the mix.
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Having this much more protein (while imho retaining a really nice flavour) is a huge plus when you increase the exercise levels and suddenly have to up your protein intake, too!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of plain greek yogurt. After getting used to it, I do not want to go back to the other yogurt.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i am a greek yogurt person because it provides more protein
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It has 4x more protein or something.
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It taste's better than regular yogurt. At least, I think it does.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have wondered that myself. No matter what brand I try, I just don't like plain greek yogurt. I do like the ones that have fruit on the bottom though.
  • dllewis7
    dllewis7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Greek style yoghurt (and greek yoghurt) involves straining off the whey so it has less carbs and more fat %. Good ones are 10% fat where they've used cream in the mix.

Yeppers, exactly. Also, caution on the marketing of what I term "fake greek yogurt". Most of the yogurt brands (Fage excepted!) are manufactured via a chemical, synthetic recipe not naturally. Fage yogurt, however, is all natural - no chemicals or synthetics added! I buy the plain 0% fat container and add a tablespoon of my own 100% fruit jam into a serving. You can make your own natural flavors this way and stay away from the Yoplaits and Dannon and other fake foods. My body loves me for this!

-Debra
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between normal yogurt like silhouette/yoplait/or activia and greek yogurt?? Greek is way more expensive, thicker and has more protein....is there any other benefits or is that it? greek yogurt seems very popular lately so I'm curious

protein, super important and in my opinion it seems to help make you feel fuller.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    All of the above - and yes - Greek yoghurt is better - more protein.
    If you dont like it plain, a small teaspoon of greek honey and a handfull of mixed seeds and topped with blueberries - hold on, I'm off to get me a bowl.........................
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    We Greeks just know how to make the best yogurt on earth!
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Yeppers, exactly. Also, caution on the marketing of what I term "fake greek yogurt". Most of the yogurt brands (Fage excepted!) are manufactured via a chemical, synthetic recipe not naturally. Fage yogurt, however, is all natural - no chemicals or synthetics added! I buy the plain 0% fat container and add a tablespoon of my own 100% fruit jam into a serving. You can make your own natural flavors this way and stay away from the Yoplaits and Dannon and other fake foods. My body loves me for this!

-Debra
    Is there a problem with chemical/synthetic recipe for greek yogurt?
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt uses 3x more water and the process produces a lot of acid water waste which is not yet fully used in other industries. Hopefully that inefficiency will improve because acid whey water still has nutrition and energy content that can be fed to pigs or digested for power production. But in the present the greek yogurt industry is a wasteful bandwagon.