Binging all day. Will my exercise make a difference?

Options
Hi guys,

I've had a pretty rough day today, I've eaten so much junk food and I currently just feel pretty bad and guilty as I have been doing so well.

So what I want to know is, for example: If I eat 1200cals worth of crappy foods but still burn 600+ cals like I usually do, will I still lose weight?

This has been my second day of struggling not to binge >.<

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're bingeing because you're only eating 1200 cals?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Technically you can lose but its not the way to go about doing it. Take a look here and see if you are allotted enough callries.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Like the above poster has said maybe 1200 isnt enough for you.
  • SoLiveItUp
    SoLiveItUp Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You're at a deficient already with 1,200 calories so even if you ate them all already its fine, exercising is fine as long as you don't go overboard, exercise a little, maybe something you enjoy, walking, dancing, some sport but don't obsess just to burn loads of calories. If you still have dinner to go, have something decent that's nutritious and filling since all the activity and then start again tomorrow, just enjoy your food and try to forgive. Don't try compensating, you'll just be catching up forever because if you eat less some day when you're hungry you'll eventually have no control and binge. Plus get your water in : )
  • shibuyagoth
    shibuyagoth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're bingeing because you're only eating 1200 cals?

Yeah that could be possible, I was thinking I should be eating more, but its hard for me because I used to have an eating disorder and I struggle with eating meals regularly :(
    Technically you can lose but its not the way to go about doing it. Take a look here and see if you are allotted enough callries.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Like the above poster has said maybe 1200 isnt enough for you.

Thanks for the link, I really appreciate your response, thanks! :)
    You're at a deficient already with 1,200 calories so even if you ate them all already its fine, exercising is fine as long as you don't go overboard, exercise a little, maybe something you enjoy, walking, dancing, some sport but don't obsess just to burn loads of calories. If you still have dinner to go, have something decent that's nutritious and filling since all the activity and then start again tomorrow, just enjoy your food and try to forgive. Don't try compensating, you'll just be catching up forever because if you eat less some day when you're hungry you'll eventually have no control and binge. Plus get your water in : )

Thanks for the response, this is really reassuring! I'll do my best, thank you so much :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you ate 1,200 of food and burn off 600, you've only eaten 600 for the day.

Please seek help.
  • shibuyagoth
    Options

Please seek help.

I don't see anything wrong with that, its better than not eating at all (which is what I used to do) :indifferent:
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Please seek help.

I don't see anything wrong with that, its better than not eating at all (which is what I used to do) :indifferent:

That's like saying there's nothing wrong with cutting off your fingers because it's better than cutting off your arm, which is what you used to do. Both are harmful.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Please seek help.

That's like saying there's nothing wrong with cutting off your fingers because it's better than cutting off your arm, which is what you used to do. Both are harmful.

This. Although you have made great strides in dealing with your food issues, I encourage you to keep working on getting healthy. Only eating 600 calories (net) every day is very harmful to your body. Exercising 1/2 your calories away leaves your body nothing to run on. Where do you suppose it will get the fuel it needs just to keep your walking, talking and your organs functioning? It will not be fat - that's not causing any problem to your body - your muscles take more energy.

You're 19 years old. If that is you in your profile picture - you look very thin already. Please talk to someone - a doctor, a counselor, anyone that can help your find the help you need. You have a long life ahead of you and having your health will make it a great ride.

Good luck.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Please seek help.

Seriously?

:huh:

You are not worth a strike, so let you remind you that promoting VLCD for ANY reason violates TOS of this website. Suggesting that 600 calories per day is ok because you've consumed less is extremely misguided (at best).
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Please seek help.

Seriously?

:huh:

You are not worth a strike, so let you remind you that promoting VLCD for ANY reason violates TOS of this website. Suggesting that 600 calories per day is ok because you've consumed less is extremely misguided (at best).

QFT
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Please seek help. I would say you are still struggling with your ED since you seem to think that netting 600 calories a day is okay.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Edited!

Well, that will teach me to respond without reading it all.

Hon, you're doing better than you were and I congratulate you! If you are nothing and are up to 600 calories a day, I know it has to be a big improvement. Good work!

I'm not asking you to admit it, but I think you probably know that 600 calories a day is considered pretty low, health-wise. Most people (and especially overeaters!) would say, "That is not healthy." Many would freak out.

You made progress. Excellent! But you may have a little more work to do. Consider that. Just give it some thought.

I cannot advise you because I'm not qualified, but will say that if you feel like there is any possibility you're slipping back into bad eating habits, call whoever overseas your medical plan - family doctor or psychiatrist - and get yourself back on track. I don't say it to mean or judgemental, but out of concern.

I've never been too thin, but I've seen what people say to those they think have eating disorders around here. When I've read it, I've sometimes thought that if a person did have one, that sort of talk would push them further down tubes. Don't let that happen to you.

Seek help/support and take care of yourself!

I wish you all the best and loads of luck!!! :)
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    yes
  • shibuyagoth
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I am struggling with eating still but I seem to find it hard to eat healthy foods all the time, hence why I'm trying to get fit. My profile pic was taken in december when I weighed 5-7lbs less

I'm currently at 145lbs (5ft 4") and I just think I look out of shape. I'm trying to get fit and hopefully lose 10lbs by October as I have an event to go to. MFP app suggested I eat 1200 cals....so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here. I eat 1200 every day so I thought I was doing this the healthy way :/

My BMI is healthy at the moment, but if I gain a few more lbs I'll be overweight again. My lowest weight was around 110-120lbs

How many calories should I be burning then? Its hard for me not to burn 600+ as I do 60mins daily for 5 days
  • shibuyagoth
    Options
    Edited!

Well, that will teach me to respond without reading it all.

Hon, you're doing better than you were and I congratulate you! If you are nothing and are up to 600 calories a day, I know it has to be a big improvement. Good work!

I'm not asking you to admit it, but I think you probably know that 600 calories a day is considered pretty low, health-wise. Most people (and especially overeaters!) would say, "That is not healthy." Many would freak out.

You made progress. Excellent! But you may have a little more work to do. Consider that. Just give it some thought.

I cannot advise you because I'm not qualified, but will say that if you feel like there is any possibility you're slipping back into bad eating habits, call whoever overseas your medical plan - family doctor or psychiatrist - and get yourself back on track. I don't say it to mean or judgemental, but out of concern.

I've never been too thin, but I've seen what people say to those they think have eating disorders around here. When I've read it, I've sometimes thought that if a person did have one, that sort of talk would push them further down tubes. Don't let that happen to you.

Seek help/support and take care of yourself!

I wish you all the best and loads of luck!!! :)

Thank you for the kind words, I will take your advice on board :)
    I too wish you all the best
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I am struggling with eating still but I seem to find it hard to eat healthy foods all the time, hence why I'm trying to get fit. My profile pic was taken in december when I weighed 5-7lbs less

I'm currently at 145lbs (5ft 4") and I just think I look out of shape. I'm trying to get fit and hopefully lose 10lbs by October as I have an event to go to. MFP app suggested I eat 1200 cals....so I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here. I eat 1200 every day so I thought I was doing this the healthy way :/

My BMI is healthy at the moment, but if I gain a few more lbs I'll be overweight again. My lowest weight was around 110-120lbs

How many calories should I be burning then? Its hard for me not to burn 600+ as I do 60mins daily for 5 days

You can burn 600 calories, that's fine, as long as you eat those calories back.
  • shibuyagoth
    Options

Okay now this is where I'm confused. I've seen alot of posts where people say not to eat the calories back
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Okay now this is where I'm confused. I've seen alot of posts where people say not to eat the calories back

In those cases the person being advised is netting at least, if not well over 1,200 calories. You need to net AT LEAST 1,200 per day. Meaning if you burn 600 calories, you eat 1,800.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP to set your calorie goal ( which I think you are doing from what I read before), then you should eat back your cardio calories (especially if you are at 1,200). Your recommended deficit from MFP is based on a net number. To track this, enter your cardio exercises to see where you are on a net basis. Try to keep this number as close to your MFP goal as possible. I'm not sure if my ticker still shows, but I've lost about 50 pounds in two years following this approach. And if you are working with a medical professional, please make sure you've discussed these goals with him or her.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT A BINGE. And if you only eat 1200 calories and then burn off 600 of them with exercise, you're not doing yourself any favors.