Working out hard not losing weight

Options
I have been working out for about 2 and a half weeks. I do a boot camp class in the moning before work and do Bikram yoga on the weekends. I have not lost any weight and as a matter of fact have gain 2 lbs. Whats going on? Im getting discouraged.

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You can work out as hard as you want but if you are eating more calories than you are burning you will gain weight. If you are eating the same amount of calories you are burning you will stay the same weight.
  • Ollie1525
    Ollie1525 Posts: 5
    Options
    Stick with it you didn't put on weight overnight and two weeks very short time - always weigh in morning - could any of the following apply to you ?

1. When most people know they are going to start a diet they overeat on all the wrong high fat foods just before starting
    2. Body if worried about drop in calories will hang on to fat, until it gets used to drop in calories - usually for big drop in calories then it'll let the calories go and you'll see the result on the scales
    3. By doing excerise you are building up muscle and they weigh more than fat ( good to improve shape)
    4. Were you wearing same clothes and weighing same time of day same scales etc? We always weigh less first thing and heavier due to various clothes?

I know you want to sprint it but when beginning you have to be prepared to do it one step at a time, with the excercise and eating more healthily you'll see difference real soon. Be proud you are getting fitter and leaner - you could take yr measurements and notice difference that way - well done, you deserve to feel better about yourself and you are putting you first and with all that fitness you will see the results real soon, keep to fitness and healthy diet and the pounds will drop soon - keep at it - I'm in it for the long haul as I have a fair few stone to shift
    Ollie
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can work out as hard as you want but if you are eating more calories than you are burning you will gain weight. If you are eating the same amount of calories you are burning you will stay the same weight.

BINGO!
  • pipboy2006
    Options
    It can be two reasons, depends on your body build.

First reason is muscle gain. I started play competitive badminton for 2.5 weeks. Have gained 1lb but I can see I am losing some fat. The only reason is muscle gain. I know from multiple source that at the beginning of the work out, you build up muscles with a lot of density. If you fat loss is less than the muscle gain, then you will gain weight. It is different from person to person, but you should notice if you are losing fat or not.

Second reason is fat gain. Workout is only half of the equation of weight lost. As the previous point mentioned, you lose weight base on your fat loss - muscle gain. By a human body design, carb is the first energy to burn and the fat will store in the body for later use. So if your total calories intake is not less than the daily output, your body will most likely store up fat instead of burning fat.

I cannot say which situation you are in, but for me, I can see my belly fat gets smaller but I end up gaining 1 pound. I know I am on the right path though, just need some time until my muscle reach a point that stop gaining weight. After that, I will see some fast weight lost if I keep up with my exercise and diet.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It could be your muscles storing water for repair which will reflect a weight gain
  • gramirez25
    Options
    I actually have been dieting also. Not a hardcore diet but watching what I eat and my portion size is smaller. I actually think it was the water retention that was mention because I have lost 5 lbs this week. Im definitely thinking my body just had to have a lil bit to get used to this new regime.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It can be two reasons, depends on your body build.

First reason is muscle gain. I started play competitive badminton for 2.5 weeks. Have gained 1lb but I can see I am losing some fat. The only reason is muscle gain. I know from multiple source that at the beginning of the work out, you build up muscles with a lot of density. If you fat loss is less than the muscle gain, then you will gain weight. It is different from person to person, but you should notice if you are losing fat or not.

Second reason is fat gain. Workout is only half of the equation of weight lost. As the previous point mentioned, you lose weight base on your fat loss - muscle gain. By a human body design, carb is the first energy to burn and the fat will store in the body for later use. So if your total calories intake is not less than the daily output, your body will most likely store up fat instead of burning fat.

I cannot say which situation you are in, but for me, I can see my belly fat gets smaller but I end up gaining 1 pound. I know I am on the right path though, just need some time until my muscle reach a point that stop gaining weight. After that, I will see some fast weight lost if I keep up with my exercise and diet.

Muscle gain of 2lbs is not likely in a short amount of time. It takes time and concerted effort (usually weight lifting but any kind of progressive overload) to build muscle

Fat gain is possible but another option is that you are retaining water. When you stress the muscles they retain water to help them re-build. This is especially the case when you start a new workout routine because your body isn't used to it and should even out over time.

Keep doing what you're doing and also realise, as others have said, that weight loss is determined by whether you eat less calories than you burn each day. It's very hard to out exercise a bad diet and but even a healthy diet that contains too many calories will cause you to gain weight
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I actually have been dieting also. Not a hardcore diet but watching what I eat and my portion size is smaller. I actually think it was the water retention that was mention because I have lost 5 lbs this week. Im definitely thinking my body just had to have a lil bit to get used to this new regime.

I think this is the most likely option. It's important for new exercisers not to get put off by this initial 'weight gain". Yes, you will notice it on the scale but it will dissapear over time. Water retention is temporary and shouldn't be confused with true weight (or fat) gain.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options

BINGO!

Then why do people eat back there exercise calories
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

BINGO!

I do it to fuel my body and make sure that I have enough nutrients. If someone is functioning on a very low amount of calories over a extended period of time it could cause them to burnout.

If you calculated your calorie goal using MFP the deficit you need to lose is already factored in so even if you do not exercise you will lose weight. Many people will eat back about 50%-75% of their calories because sometimes the exercise calories on here are overestimated.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

BINGO!

/sigh Because they are ALREADY AT A DEFICIT. And don't want that deficit to become an unhealthy one.

So fed up of this question.
  • Jenna1024
    Jenna1024 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eat clean clean clean!!!! Totally makes a difference...Only whole, natural foods. Cut out anything and everything processed. I swear by this! Give it a few weeks and you'll see a difference once you allow your body to get rid of all the processed foods... Good luck!!!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

BINGO!

Because the net target is already enough of a defecit to lose weight, regardless of whether or not you exercise. You can eat up to that defecit and if it's balanced, the target is still under maintainence. You will 1.) lose weight and 2.) not feel ravenous after the workout. It's kind of a win-win.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I vote "water" too.

Check out some of the apps that can talk to my fitness pal. Some of them might help you estimate the calories in your activities more accurately so you can stay in the "negative net calories" zone more easily.

I also suggest everyone read about heart rate zones and try them out as a tool when exercising to adjust intensity. You can do this taking your pulse rate by hand--heart rate monitors make it more convenient, but you don't need to buy anything to use the heart rate method.

Too weak an exercise intensity won't do you much good. But too strong gets you burning sugar instead of fat--which has it's uses but isn't your primary mission here.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

BINGO!

If you're exercising just to burn calories, you're exercising for the wrong reason.

The reason people eat them back is simple anyway; too high a deficit, and you will use energy from sources other than fat more easily, and recovery, mood and consistency tend to be impaired.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Initially people can retain water when starting a new program

Your muscles might have swollen (retained water) up (inflammation). This is normal

Drink water and keep up the good work. The woosh (when muscles release the retained water) is coming

You are doing great!
  • crazypiglady
    Options
    Here's are some great tips that will keep you sane as you are on this journey.
    1) Try to STAY OFF of the scale. Try not to be so focused on the numbers. Your weight will fluctuate daily.
    2) Take your body measurements instead as they are a way more accurate way to show your progress. Do this weekly or biweekly or whatever works for you.
    3) Gauge your progress by how your clothes are fitting. Are they looser? do they just fit or feel better? That's true progress.
    4) Stay positive and know that if you keep at it YOU WILL see results.
    5) Use an activity tracker wristband if you don't already have one. There are several great ones out there and they are a motivation tool to keep you moving and active to push you just a little harder.

Since Mid-January thru June 26th I have lost OVER 36" by increasing my activity, walking at least 10,000-15,000 steps per day and doing a group weight/cardio class twice a week. I have ONLY lost 15#. However, I have dropped a full size in jeans, no longer have to have an X or XX in front of the L in my shirt sizes and can wear some clothes that I haven't been able to wear in a very long time. I have a ton of energy, I sleep better and I just feel better.

Hang in there and truly try not to focus on the numbers of the scale. It really IS NOT the best way to gauge or track your body changes. Try to think of it as a lifestyle change and not just a diet or exercise to lose weight. I would much rather lose inches and look better than worry about the numbers on the scale......I know we all have the same mentality though and cannot stay away from the scale, myself included ---just try not to let it be the determining factor on your weight loss journey. Good Luck!!!