Can you build muscle on a caloric defecit?

Options
I've been cutting for just over a month and people have been telling me I've gained muscle. Have I gained muscle or is it just because my body fat has decreased and my veins are more visible?

Also I'm thinking about bulking up from September.How long should I do it for without gaining too much body fat?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's most likely due to reduced bf% revealing muscles. It is possible, but I think the amount you can gain is normally wildly overestimated by wishful thinkers.

Tips for bulking without adding massive amounts of fat: 1) Be as lean as possible before starting 2) try to add something modest like 1/2lb/week - too much more will likely be added as fat. 3) Get as strong as possible before starting - use up the beginner neural gains and force your body to adapt to keep lifting heavier loads. Your age, genetics and gender also play a part, but you can't change those variables, so don't worry about them.

You bulk until you can't stand the amount of fat you've accumulated (some fat gain is inevitable), then you cut it off. This is a mental game and down to individual preference.
  • DavidDBZS
    DavidDBZS Posts: 33
    Options