Evening Primrose Oil vs. Weight Fluctuations

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
So... anyone who knows me knows that my weight spikes on Monday morning and I totally freak out, despite any sort of extreme efforts put in over the weekend.

I've been taking Evening Primrose Oil for about a month now for breast pain.

I usually take it M-F than skip the weekend days.

I do this with my Magnesium and Zyrtec too.

It's just easier to keep them in the office desk and do it while I work than fiddle with it all the time.

And, they're just supplements, not a prescription.

So... over the past couple weekends I've been taking my pills all weekend.

I don't know why.

I just did.

Sore mucles from a heavy workout led me into the medicine box after the magnesium, trying to avoid the muscle cramps and restless legs my body is so fond of (and I think that was effective) so I just took all three because I saw them there.

So, my Monday weigh in's haven't been so extreme lately.

It seems like when I take them all weekend I fluctuate less.

Can I avoid huge fluxuations by taking my pills all weekend?

I also take in (generally) notably less caffine (coffee) and tea over the weekend, so I'm wondering if that plays a roll.

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Am I on to something here?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate, no matter what supplements you take. Keep weighing every Monday, and look for a downward trend.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question, but why do you freak out every Monday if it happens every Monday? You've been at this since 2010? If normal daily weight fluctuations are still freaking you out, maybe you're someone who would just do better not weighing yourself at all, and going my tape measurements. I think you're way overthinking it.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    There's some validicy to that idea (not weighing daily) but at this point it is very ingrained.

"Normal" weight fluctuations don't freak me out, but I have big ones, over five pounds in a day sometimes. And they don't drop off the next day, which is very confusing because fluctuaions should do just that, they seem more like gains.

If it spikes, it's just motivation to push harder in the workout that evening, or to do the best I can with my food choices that day.

Monday is a "get down to business" day for me in the office, in my home, in my life, so I can skip a Sunday or weekday if I anticipate water weight or something, but skipping Monday weigh-in or workout would be like sacrelige.

I feel like as much as you put into Monday sets the tone for your whole week.

Congrats on 94 lb lost though, btw.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    not only can you be holding more water weight, which would be controlled if any of the supplements you take act as a diuretic, but what you weigh each day can be higher if you eat lots of fiber or stuff like lettuce before it's had time to... er... leave you. even though lettuce, broccoli, etc, has very few calories, they do have weight.

just a thought...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just wondering if I stick to my normal M-F routine on the weekends if it will result in less extreme of fluctuations.

I know there will be fluctuations, but I'm thinking, if I have 2-3 coffee and 2 teas a day on the weekdays at work (big time diuretics), than one or none on the weekend, on top of the supplements daily on the weekdays, than none on the weekend, (I think some anti-histames can be diuretic, not honestly sure about Zyrtec) am I just setting myself up for a huge fluctuation, and if so, can I avoid abnormal fluctuations by making my habits on the weekend mirror those on the weekdays.

A lot of that caffine intake is directly influenced by "office culture" you know, be bright eyed, bushy tailed, smile, talk clearly and completely attentive etc etc etc where I don't have that pressure on me over the weekend.