Boredom vs hunger

Options
I am having a hard time not eating when I am bored. I recently joined a gym and started using the website. It is my first attempt at counting calories and it is going well...but I LOVE to eat. I am trying to train myself to only eat when I am hungry. I have a desk job and when I am at work is the hardest time for me to not snack. I feel hungry WAY more when I am at work then anywhere else and I feel like it is most likely just boredom. Anyone else have this problem or any advice?

Replies

• msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes yes I have this same problem. I'm usually bored at work and this will cause me to eat. What I try to do is get up and walk around, snack on healthy stuff like nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc .... drink plenty of water, chew gum .... chat, just about anything! .... Being at a desk job 8 hours out of the day is blah .... but I appreciate having a job ..... anyone on yahoo messenger??? Chatting usually makes my day go by faster and keeps my mind off food. Best of luck ... also HAPPY FRIDAY! ... best day of the week.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I keep my food at work in the break room (across the building) so that I'm not tempted to eat when I'm bored. I do keep my water bottle directly in front of me when I'm typing so that I stay hydrated, which also keeps me full.

Good luck!

Whoo Hooo, Happy Friday!
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    only things i can suggest for this when your bored at work is to get some chewing gum to keep ya mouth busy, or sip at a glass or bottle of water,
    i am a boredom eater too but with being a full time mum my kids can easily distract me or i will get up and clean something to keep me busy.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I used to be on Yahoo messenger but now I used gmail messenger because I can talk to my mom.
    I usually keep apples behind my desk to snack on if I get hungry (bored) or even craisins that I measure out. I also keep the water handy.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Sip water instead of eating snacks; it will help you feel full. Snacks can be good for you, though, so portion out a couple of baggies and take them in. Baby carrots are good; they are healthy and take a while to eat. Same with a cup of grapes. I like whole grain crackers spread with protein such as Laughing Cow cheese; that combination keeps me feeling full. After that, it's back to sucking down water.

I sometimes empty my wallet of cash so I can't grab chips from the vending machine.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I bring my breakfast and my lunch to work. I eat it all throughout the day. I plan first using the calorie counter, but I eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. I eat something every hour or hour and a half and it's great. I feel full all day long and I am eating healthy foods. I don't keep any snack foods in my office and I try not to eat in community areas, where people always bring cookies, etc to work. Here's my breakfast & lunch for the day...
    Yogurt
    Smuckers uncrustables pb&j
    banana
    crunch pak of apples
    sandwich
    orange
    string cheese
    water, water, water!
    Choose smart choices and you can do it! Good luck!
  • Zacinoff
    Zacinoff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The temptation to eat when bored is really high for me as well. I feel good about myself when I pull back right before buying a candy bar or other junk food. Focus on what you want from yourself and eat small meals slowly when your hungry and stop immediatly when you don't feel hungry anymore. Losing weight, especially fat, takes a lot of patience and determination. But there are plenty of us on this website to keep you motivated.

Good luck, and enjoy life!
  • urnewbuddee
    urnewbuddee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work at a desk all day and I understand exactly what you're going through. What I try to do though, is I set aside specific snacks that are low in calories and try to eat them at the same time every day. Keeping myself on an eating schedule has really helped. I switch it up every day, too. Yesterday, I had a granola bar type thing that was about 130 calories, then in a couple of hours I had a handful of a cranberry and nut mix. Today, so far I've had a piece of vegan soy jerky that was about 80 calories and later on I'm going to have a handful of curry pumpkin seeds. Always having healthy, low calorie snacks at my desk really helps fight cravings and I try to make sure that the snacks I'm eating have a decent amount of protein because it takes more energy for your body to process it, leaving me fuller longer and able to make it through until lunch without either starving or already being full.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    Weird...I have the exact opposite problem. At work I'm usually bored, but I play games on the computer, go for a short walk, drink tons of water, IM with friends (mmaccree76) on yahoo if anyone wants to add me.

Then when I get home I just want to eat and eat! I know it's from boredom, so I've started crocheting random things to keep my hands and mind busy.

I find that I just have to occupy my mind with something otherwise it wonders to the thought of food, which in turn makes me think I'm hungry when I'm not.
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    My boredom problem is not only at work but a lot at home. I know that I have a boatload of stuff I could be doing at home but I still feel bored. Make sense. That is when I can really sabotage myself. Sometime I have to go in my bedroom and just stay there and play on the computer so that I don't see the food ads that they show on tv that make we want to go eat. I have found that folding clothes helps also. I really need to tackle spring cleaning early but there are so many other things I would rather do. heeeeeee
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BTW - I'm (mspecan_tan) on yahoo messenger.
  • Nicole114
    Options
    I get bored at night and think I'm hungry so while watching tv I drink water through a straw. The straw keeps me occupied and I just keep sipping the whole time. It's a double bonus because it keeps me from eating and also helps me get all my water!!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest problem too. I don't really get full either (well, I do, but it's after like an entire box of something, not a serving, sooo....) so when I'm bored I will just keep eating. At work I've found it useful not to keep cash on me (no vending machine) and to tell myself its too cold to go outside to get something (during the summer I plan for it to be too hot to do so). It's somewhat effective. If you find something else that works please let me know!