Supplements whilst losing weight

Options
Hey guys, I'm currently at 206 pounds and my long term goal is 140. I'm working out 3 times a week (mainly cardio and weight machines) and cutting my calories to 1400 daily. I was wondering if anyone would recommend any supplements that would help me gain some tone and muscle (as when I've lost the weight I'd like to focus on toning and muscle definition). Is it better to wait until the weight is gone or use a supplement that won't impact on the weight loss? I'm female btw!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There are no supplements that will help you get muscle, unless you're not getting enough protein through your diet, then you can supplement with protein powder. Also, the most effective way to hold on to muscle mass while you're losing weight is to lift heavy. You shouldn't wait to lift heavy, do it now, otherwise you'll lose muscle mass as you're losing weight. Lifting heavy will not slow fat loss, so don't worry about that happening.
  • pythonsweb
    pythonsweb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im pretty similar I was 205 and looking for 145-150 with a similar workout, The only supplements I have been taking is a one a day multivitamin, b12 and a baby aspirin, since your female iron may help as well
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There are no supplements that will help you get muscle, unless you're not getting enough protein through your diet, then you can supplement with protein powder. Also, the most effective way to hold on to muscle mass while you're losing weight is to lift heavy. You shouldn't wait to lift heavy, do it now, otherwise you'll lose muscle mass as you're losing weight. Lifting heavy will not slow fat loss, so don't worry about that happening.

Pretty much this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Im pretty similar I was 205 and looking for 145-150 with a similar workout, The only supplements I have been taking is a one a day multivitamin, b12 and a baby aspirin, since your female iron may help as well

How does aspirin help with toning and gaining muscle?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    enough protein and water plus working out and time equals more muscle.

i take a low potency multi vitamin daily and that's it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    enough protein and water plus working out and time equals more muscle.
    ^^^This.

For good, basic advice, read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good luck adhering to 1400 calories.