Weight loss comment

Options
2»

Replies

• Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with most of the other posts... take the compliment she gave you and leave it at that. Use it as a little motivational win not a source of stress. People are going to think whatever they want about you, all you can change how you react to it.

If she ends up being your MIL there will plenty of time for stress later.:wink:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    ah sort of. You can't let that stuff derail you though or make you nervous. Remember that primarily you are doing it for YOU!

In a similar sense, I have been complimented a lot publicly by random strangers or quasi-acquaintances, such as salespeople in stores I frequent...so even though my weight is still going down, I sometimes wonder if down the road they will think "oh I guess she stopped" when I end up at size 10 and not say, 2 or 5.

At the end of the day though, who cares!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My fil (been with husband 23 years) takes great pleasure in mentioning every single pound I've put on, goes out of his way to make negative comments about every thing, as I've got older and tbh less tolerant, I have got a little testy with my responses. Anyway he spent much energy saying how much weight I put on over Christmas and since then I have lost 52lb and not a word, I have gone from UK size 18-20 to 10-12 and not a single word.
    I should just enjoy the compliments ...
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can kinda relate to not knowing how people see you til hearing some of their comments. Last fall I had decided that I was not going to gain any more of the weight I had lost (had gained 12 pounds of 38 back). So around October I got back at er and lost 15 pounds by xmas. At Xmas my bf's sister gave me an XL men's sweater and said to me "I hope it still fits" and I thought to myself, does she really think I'm this big??? Even without losing the 15 pounds lost it would have been way too big. Either she was lazy and re-gifting or she REALLY thought I was that big. Either way, I think I may give her the biggest sweater I can find next yr for xmas lol
  • nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    Options
    This happens to me too XD I know "we shouldn't care about what others think" but that is a process, easier said than done. I have had people come up to me and say "omG you look so much prettier now that you've lost weight" -_- that sucks...in reality, people should just not make any comments on weight, you never know what people are going through. But yes, we also have to learn how to deal with these comments and not depend on a good comment to be happy that week.
    As far as your situation, I think it was a well-intended comment, I really don't think that she used to think you were ugly and now you're not. Some people just phrase it in such a way that it sounds like that, but I don't think so ;)